Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pk360 vs Broil King Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee I can't speak for the PK but I can speak from experience when I say that the BKK does a fantastic job at low and slow.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I don't own either, but my educated opinion is the PK360 would be better as a low & slow smoker than the BKK would be as a hot & fast grill. Again, that's not to say it can't/won't work as one.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, the rivets is where it all started. I don't doubt that the swing grate is one of the best features, but it still leaves something to be desired, if you ask me. smokin fool

• TripleB
    replied
    I've owned a PK360 since they came out (#66) and it is the best grill I've ever owned. Marine grade aluminum that will outlast you, finger tip temp controls (dont have to reach under a hot grill to adjust vents), easy ash management (2" bristle brush and ash can), 2 zone cooking, good temperature gauge and great at smoking small cuts (chuck and small butts). I've smoked chuck at 250 for 6 hours without adding fuel. For smoking larger cuts, multiple cuts or ribs I use other smokers.

Bottom line: great for anything you want to grill and smoker for small cuts. But not very portable. It does come apart (shelves detach, unhook it from the base, reassemble, etc).

Leave a comment:

• Collateralcall
    replied
    That's helpful thank you. I'm at sea level so if the BKK tends to run hot I may not be able to control it. I did see that basket. Looked amazing.

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    replied
    I owned a Big Steel Keg, the brand after Bubba Keg and before the current Broil King Keg. I loved that grill for the portability, it had a trailer hitch attachment. It took some finagling, but at that time in my life, when transporting it buddies were able to move it about. My only gripe about the BKK is that I could never get it to a true low/slow, the dang thing was too well insulated.

I am a current owner of a PK360. This thing does everything I want it to do, smoke, grill, bake etc. The best thing I bought for the PK was the KickAsh basket, for me, it was a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Funny about peoples assessment of the upper swing grill, in my case Its one of the BBK's best features.
    Mine has not had any rust issues, the cover is old and leaking so there is moisture in the bottom ash pit when I clean it.
    My problems are stemming from popped rivets at the bottom damper and the gasket between the base and lid has seen better days so I get a lot of air leakage both in and out of the unit.
    I'd probably lean in a different direction next smoker.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    You are correct, but ceramic will out last Steel as long as you don't knock it over. Which is pretty hard to do. After having both, I will take my chances with ceramic. pkadare

• Collateralcall
    replied
    When we do low and slow it tends to be a smaller load anyway. Larger gatherings tend to involve kids who want burgers, hot dogs etc that I cd either do on pk or the big gas grill. I'm talking myself into getting the PK I think...

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I don't have either a PK360 or a BKK, but the PK360 to me is a little small for smoking, as smoking on it requires a 2 zone setup, meaning you only get to use half of the cooking grate. This means for something like ribs, you will need to cut the racks in half AND use a rib rack to stand them on edge. With the kamado style cooker, for smoking, you put in the plate setter or deflector, and can use pretty much the entire round grate for smoking. I use a Weber 22" kettle with the Slow 'N Sear (snsgrills.com) myself for a lot of my smoking, and you can use about 2/3 of its round grate when smoking.

Of the two, I think the PK360 will last a lifetime longer than the BKK simply due to its construction, so if you only do this once, the PK360 will last a LONG LONG time, and will be a great grill, as long as you can live with the space that is available. I think purchasing a rib rack, and maybe an elevated grate, and for sure the charcoal basket, would all be helpful.

So, my vote would be for the PK360, as long as you feel you can live with the constrained space when using it to smoke meat versus direct grilling.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    replied
    I have a BKK for one reason. The portability, I love the trailer hitch that allows me to travel with out giving up trunk space. I also switched out the grate for a stainless steel one. Large BGE accessories are pretty much all compatible. If I were choosing a patio/stationary cooker I would personally choose a PK. Both good choices.

Leave a comment:

• Alphonse
    replied
    As already said, the BKK is a kamado. Buying a kamado today, I too would buy ceramic.

The PK360 is a robust little grill and can be set up two zone easily. However at 360 square inches grill space, the real estate is limited. They are very well made and should last a lifetime. All the grates in the PK360 are stainless steel and big plus from my experience.

Get the best of all worlds and buy both!

Leave a comment:

• Collateralcall
    replied
    This is great. Thanks all. Good to know the cast iron grid is not a problem. I wd go PK probably. Concern is really just that PK have zero presence where I live so have one chance to import everything in one go and if it isn't engineered 100 percent perfect out of the box it's gonna be almost impossible to remedy without months of back and forth.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Steel may rust, ceramic may crack. :-)

• Spinaker
    replied
    I owed a BKK and I would probably pass on one now. It rusted out around the dampers after about 5 years. The parts and pieces they sell as accessories are not nearly as high quality as other kamado brands. I ended up buying a Big Green Egg plate setter to replace the one that BKK sold me. Maintaining the cast iron grate is not a huge issue. You can buy a wire grate for cheap at any hardware store you want. The BKK does have the advantage of being mobile. It is nice to be able to take it places and not have to worry about it breaking on you. I did that several times as I had the trailer hitch attachment that made that a breeze. I did make a lot of great food not he BKK. However, the BKK rusted out on me after about 5 years. I always had it covered too. The main problem was around the dampers and where the unit hooked on the the base. This rusting made is impossible to seal the BKK up during low and slow cooking and this made it almost impossible to keep the temp low.

The PK360 has more space on the main cooking grate than the BKK. I never really found the upper swing grate on the BKK to work that well. It does offer more space, but because of where the upper grate hooks into the lower grate, you loose maybe a 1/3 of the cooking space on the lower grate when the top one is installed. Personally, I would rather just have one grate.

If you are going to go the kamado route. I would go ceramic. Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here