Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kick Ash Basket for PK360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Ash Basket for PK360?

Considering buying one of these for my PK360.

I have the stock accessory charcoal basket from PK and it doesn't work that well, even with additional holes drilled in it. I also have a custom basket made out of stainless hardware cloth and it is just too small. Both are intended to cover only half the pit. I may fabricate one but before I spend the time and money, I wanted to look for alternatives.

I read here that someone felt that this KAB offering is a bit too shallow.

Anyone here spring for one yet and have experience they could share?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2725
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	784663

Check out this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-for-the-pk360

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, saw that thread but unfortunately there is no real experience with the KAB there. I am familiar with "the Burn Shop" offering. It is robust to say the least. Perhaps a bit too heavy and doesn't seem to use the real estate well in my opinion.

The KAB is only half the height from the charcoal grate to the cooking grate. Takes some tricky coal stacking if you want to pack in a lot for LnS or for two zone+searing up to under the cook grate.

I wrote them to modify their design and make it a bit taller, I don’t think they appreciated the critique...

quality is excellent as you’d expect and the divider is movable to any width you want. If only it was a bit taller it would be really perfect.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback. Ref quality, their early out of the chute baskets for BGE weren't so good. They were made of carbon steel with a SS price and were not durable at all. Looks like they have shifted to stainless.

I own it and love it. As mentioned above, it takes some creative stacking for long cooks, but I’ve found it to meet my needs. Solid construction

Comment

Love mine as well. Being able to size the sear zone to the food is great. For chicken I just leave enough indirect room as I need take the removable portion off the top grate and dump a chimney in. For that hot the coals are usually over the removable portion of the grate that came with the grill. The longest I usually go is about five hours of smoking and I just dump in unlit coals followed by enough lit coals to get the temp I'm looking for. It does better than the grate they sell in that you can tap the coals and clear out the ashes if you had to refuel for a longer cook. I'd buy it again if I lost mine.

Comment

Does the KAB basket cover enough of the grate or do you lose space? I want one but often cook a lot of food and utilize most of the grate.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel like it covers more than my other one (smokin hot bbq)I bought(regrettably). I have zero regrets buying the KAB for the 360, it’s a perfect addition to an already great cooker.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not bad but doesn’t follow the curvature so you lose a little there. I still can crank out a 20 hour test run with no reload (no food). First test when I got it.

Tell us what you end up going with & what you think!

The KAB is clearly the best design but the height is a serious drawback.

i like the Burn shop one I posted, but it’s pricey and set in stone. If you had a welder though, that sheet is removable, you could probably weld some strips to add additional adjustments. Or you know just stick two bricks against it LOL

If Dave at SNS one for the PBC I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I followed Polarbear’s design and made one of my own, but I didn’t have the right tools so it came out very sloppy (also I’m not that gifted at metalworking or wood working either so YMMV) & the upgraded SS grill grate is too thick for mine to fit under now.

I do know this though, the charcoal basket they sell is a hunk of *%^+. It chokes out on ash before you can even finish a rack of ribs, did they even try it out before they put it in production? Plus it’s not SS so it looks like I’ve had that hunk of $&@“ for 40 years now and I bought it in July.

Comment

I love my KAB in all of my Kamados. It makes a huge difference. I have never had issues with it being to small short, but I just pile the coals in there, regardless if it goes over the side rails not he basket. I don't really thin that matters much, it is more about allowing airflow through the bottom any way. It also makes clean up a breeze.

Comment

After more research and thought, as the OP I am coming back to this thread. While the KAB is a nice design, I have learned it is too short. That said, I may fabricate my own.

When and if I get around to fabricating one, I want a half grill basket only. My primary use of the PK360 is cooking chops and steaks and I most often reverse sear them.

It will not be a solid "wall type" divider or holder. For my purposes, the basket should have perforated walls not a solid baffle. The perforated walls will promote the convection and recirculation that I am after. This is the beauty of the KAB from my perspective, albeit too shallow.

Comment

Half grill version

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8942E20-C5A7-4A60-91A9-9582CBFD3AE4.jpeg
Views:	2346
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	797424Click image for larger version

Name:	76EEA2A1-0232-4FF9-BF3E-71AD37C9E91B.jpeg
Views:	2226
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	797425

Comment

The burn shop has one with and adjustable divider and is 4” now for the pk360. If this was around I wouldn’t have made mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	3EDF808B-3108-452B-A5EA-8C3D3FAF4DC9.jpeg
Views:	2131
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	873003Click image for larger version

Name:	DF782680-DA82-453C-A8A3-BD3C99E882AF.jpeg
Views:	2069
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	873004

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t get 15-18+ hours runtime like I do with this one or 20+ hrs with my homemade basket. The original basket is not tall enough to hold the necessary capacity. It is well built though.
                  The burn shop one isn’t kidding around either.

• RlsRls
                  RlsRls commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does the basket from the Burn Shop sit on the PK coal grate or replace the PK coal grate?

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All the baskets I know sit ON the original PK charcoal grate. The original grate catches the tabs on the edges to stay in place. A basket sitting on the bottom of the lower shell would get clogged with ash, blocking airflow.

Thanks! I just figured that since The Burn Shop "custom made" the basket for the PK 360, it might rest on the tabs of the bottom shell like the regular coal grate. I might contact them directly.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have that one and I still need the original grate. It is super nice though and is seriously heavy.

A lot of custom work and it all looks good. I go the simple approach and never had an issue. Either a wrapped brick and a charcoal divider or I use a split as my fence. The split adds a little smoke to the cook.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I can't help but notice in this forum and on-line videos that a lot of PK grillers use briquettes over lump! Am i right? I've been a lump user for years with my kamado but with the three cooks I've done so far on the new PK, (steaks, burgers and salmon), I seem to be using more fuel than before. Are briquettes preferred for temp control or better clean-up?? looking forward to other users comments.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lump is less dense so you have less fuel per volume to cram it in there, so briqs let me run longer.
                    I also like how briqs pack, allowing even airspace.

Lump can run hotter so good for more direct heat applications. For low and slow I use briqs or char logs.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here