Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me design a cart for PK grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me design a cart for PK grill

I've been thinking about this for while - not sure if it's a project I will get around to any time soon, but still fun to plan. If anyone has done a project like this, post pics! If not, brainstorm ideas.

Basic idea: for my PK Classic, I'd like to make a cart that addresses the following:
    1. Raise it up 6-8 inches
    2. Add a little more work surface than the tiny table on the stock cart
    3. Leveling adjustment for the starboard list of my patio
    4. Easy to remove the grill if I want to load it in the truck and go
    5. Shelf under the grill for a shallow hotel pan to catch ashes. I use a hotel pan now, but it sits on the shelf way below the grill. I lose my storage space and a lot of ash misses the pan if there's any wind at all.
    6. Maybe some sort of (removable?) back stop to keep food from rolling/sliding off (never had a disaster, but a few close calls)
    7. Simple construction. A man's got to know his limitations, and as much as I admire craftsmen, I'm not one. Function over form.

Can you post a pick of the Classic? thanks!

Comment

It’s just the original PK so maybe I shouldn’t call it the Classic, but since the 360 came out I see some people calling it that to avoid confusion. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	759373

Comment

Someone else has a post about carting his PBC. Check it out.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          I see that now - thanks

edit: Wow! That just might be the ticket. Got a Harbor Freight nearby - I'll check it out.
          Last edited by radshop; October 21, 2019, 06:56 PM.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, how about just modifying the stock cart? You could add pipe to the legs for more height or maybe adapt some tent poles or crutch legs so you could adjust height, you know those kind with a spring loaded button and holes. Bolt a bigger table surface on the original surface and butt a folding aluminum camp table to the other side. Backstop could be some angle iron (I believe you can also get it in aluminum) bolted to the edge of the table surface. Keep the hotel pan, just figure out a way to elevate it so it just sits under the body of the cooker.

Edit: Started typing this an hour ago and got distracted, didn't see the above post.
        Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; October 21, 2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          I still think it's an idea with merit - thanks. I'll check out the Harbor Freight cart, but if I decide not to go that route, this is probably a lot easier than building something from scratch.

I am interested in building a cart for the 2 vintage pk grills I have. I cannot find the post that HawkerXP mentions. Can someone provide a link?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't help, but welcome to The Pit.

• Carolyn
          Carolyn commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe this thread. It is a modified Harbor Freight cart.
          PBC Cart

As for raising the cart, I think the simplest plan is to build a wooden platform for the PK to rest on and add the size wheels to adjust to your desired height. I think it holds the potential of designing upward to create a worktable on both sides. I get your desire to raise the cooker. I am 6’ 1” and most cookers are far too low for me especially if I am grilling rather than doing low and slow. I have toyed with a way to raise my Weber 18”. Have fun!

Comment

For the ash shelf, consider bolting 2 pieces of angle iron lengthwise to the legs. Then 2 or 3 metal or wood crosswise slats to hold the pan. Think bed frame.

To raise it, a harbor freight dolly, with or without a properly sized piece of plywood.
          Last edited by yakima; January 8, 2024, 10:50 AM. Reason: Added sentence re dolly.

Comment

I own the PK Original (Classic) as well with the aluminum stand you pictured. I know you want to build something good looking to accommodate the grill, but here is a suggestion. Use a PK Original Tailgate stand and sit it right on top of a small folding table. Meets 1, 2, 4 & 7 of your requirements. I've used this a few times when I've taken it over to someone's house for a simple cook. Not pretty or cool looking, but worked well for me. FWIW...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here