Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely frustrated with PK Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely frustrated with PK Grills

Here's an update on my continuing frustration with PK Grills.

I received my new PK360 last Monday, August 19. I could not even get past the first step in the assembly because the Tube would not fit into the hole in the Base. Either the tube was too wide or the hole in the Base was too narrow, but it wasn't even close, there was no way in hell that Tube was going into the Base. So I called PK on Tuesday and spoke to a very nice lady, she told me there had been a production issue with the Bases, some of them had been painted on the inside of the hole, preventing the Tube from fitting. So she sent me a new Base. It arrived today and I have the exact same problem. The fit on this one wasn't quite as tight, but it was still way too tight. I tried to rock the tube down into the Base and was able to get it approximately 1" down into the hole, but that was as far as it would go. I even got a 3/4" piece of plywood and set it on top of the Tube to distribute the force, then tapped on it with a sledgehammer. That did nothing. Attached is a picture taken from the underside of the Base looking up through the hole, you can see the ring where the Tube was. I could not even get it to the top of the Cuff. Also attached is a picture of the bottom of the Tube, you can see the scuff marks around the circumference from where I tried rocking it into place.

PK Grills phone support is closed on the weekend, so I sent them an e-mail.

This is not the experience I was expecting to have. I did not mind paying the premium price because I was confident I was getting a quality product. So far I'm completely underwhelmed.

El Vez
    Attached Files

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. If it was me, I would request that they pull a complete grill from stock, verify that everything fits properly, re-pack and ship to you. Otherwise, I'd be concerned that if they keep shipping parts that this could happen again and again.

Comment

I would do as FD says above.

If you want to try southing else, I would try using some emery cloth to remove the paint on the inside of the base and on the outside of the tube. You may be able to get it to fit down into place.

Comment

If it is simply a matter of too much paint, you could run some sandpaper around the tube or inside the collar. If that doesn't solve it, ask PK to fit a tube and base and send them to you.

You can, however, still proceed with the setup and use the grill on a non-combustible surface, Even it you don't want to use it without the base, I'd suggest fitting the rest of it so there aren't any surprises once you get past step 1.

I know this doesn't help, but I don't recall having any trouble putting mine together. But once you do and get to cooking I'll think you'll be happy.

Comment

Did you back out the bolts on the compression fitting? You want them as close to out as can be. It's not going to go on if the bolts are already screwed down. Try backing them out almost all the way, push the stand in, then tighten in the pattern the manual shows. I have maybe a quarter inch gap in mine that i didn't bother to adjust. It stands fine still. I've rolled it around the yard and disassembled and taken places. That compression fitting is where your problem lies.
        Last edited by Michael Brinton; August 24, 2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• El Vez
          El Vez commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Michael. Yes, I backed the bolts all the way out on the cuff before trying to fit the Tube into the Base. Didn't help a lick. I had screwed them back in by the time I took the picture. Thanks, though. I keep wondering if I've just overlooked something, did I fail to do something that was so obvious I overlooked it? But, the answer, I think, is "no." I did it by the book and it doesn't fit (neither did the first one).

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I ended up with PK360 grill that wouldn't fold down all the way. This was super frustrating for such an expensive investment. I emailed them a photo and they overnighted me a new grill. From watching the video on the casting process, these are definitely hand finished so a bur or something getting missed wouldn't surprise me. However, it was worth the wait and effort. It's great grill.

Comment

El Vez So, what finally happened?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Been wondering as well.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here