Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK Grill Probe Port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK Grill Probe Port?

Hi folks! I'm strongly considering buying a PK grill (original) but am curious about the best way to use a digital thermometer with it. Has anyone done a grommet mod one one, and if so, what did you use, and how do you like it?

Thanks ahead!
    Andy

Drop them through the top vent.

Comment

I put a grommet through my pk360. It’s completely unnecessary, but I do like opening the lid without having to mess with the wires ( I usually have 5 probes running). I put it on the non-fire side and just below the cooking grate. It was one that had a grommet with a silicone ring to seal around the wires, but that all melted. I use it now, just with a conical silicone plug shoved in the end.

Comment

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Any chance you can send a pic of that?

I have had numerous grills that I have drilled a hole through the side at grate lever. I have never bothered with grommets though you can as a 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole does not allow much heat or smoke out. The aluminum of a PK is easy to drill, start with a small hole and finish with the size you want. Feed the probes one at a time and the 5 wires will pretty much fill the hole.

Comment

I have the Weber silicon probe bladders on all my cookers (the one that’s standard with the WSM) haven’t had one fail me yet, had kettles up to 600*.

Downside is you do have to drill a 1 1/4” hole with a step bit, so if you have the right bit and are fairly handy it’s really no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          I have the Weber silicon probe bladders on all my cookers (the one that’s standard with the WSM) haven’t had one fail me yet, had kettles up to 600*.

Downside is you do have to drill a 1 1/4” hole with a step bit, so if you have the right bit and are fairly handy it’s really no big deal.
          That is exactly what I'd like to do, but I don't know if the PK wall's thickness will fit that grommet. If so, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Haven't bought my PK yet, but I'm assuming the wall is considerably thicker than the WSM/Weber kettle. :S

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
            I put a grommet through my pk360. It’s completely unnecessary, but I do like opening the lid without having to mess with the wires ( I usually have 5 probes running). I put it on the non-fire side and just below the cooking grate. It was one that had a grommet with a silicone ring to seal around the wires, but that all melted. I use it now, just with a conical silicone plug shoved in the end.
            Hey Polarbear--any chance you could show a picture of your port hole in your PK360? I've been running wires through the top vents, but would like to move them where opening the lid won't interfere. I'm apprehensive about cutting into that beautiful aluminum shell, and trying to debate doing a hole in the left side, or a simpler notch on the edge.

Being able to plug a hole with a silicone plug has me leaning in that direction, though the notch has the advantage of being smaller (don't need space for the plugs or probes, just the wires) and less invasive.

A picture would help ease my nervousness about attacking the aluminum. Thanks!

Comment

Researching it further, I'm seeing a bbq probe port on Amazon that looks promising. Apparently allows 4 or more probes to pass through, and then you can then seal it up by screwing down the outer knob, and seal it off with no probes, too. Reviews are good. Anyone tried it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51NL5UwuF8L._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	881541

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s either the one I used or similar.

This is meant for low and slow. High heat cooks (500F+) will burn out the inside grommet so you’ll need a silicone plug anyway. You can still thread the wires, put in a small silicone plug and turn to tighten everything up.

• JackJ
                JackJ commented
                Editing a comment
                So is that hardware then even necessary? Would it be just as good to have a hole with no hardware that you can plug with a silicone stopper? And still thinking that a plan old notch in the left hand edge of the lower half might serve as well.

Grind a small slot with a dremel on the bottom lip. Works fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here