Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLUES HOG Char Logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLUES HOG Char Logs

Hey PK360 owners! I bought a bag of char-logs by mistake. Primarily a "lump" user for mostly hot n fast cooks and an occassional low n slow for pork etc.. How do you guys use them? How do you light them? Do they work in a snake set-up? Speaking of "snake", do PK360's do "snake" well?
    I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get some BB Lump fast! Thanks in advance.

I am wondering if you mean to say "B&B" Char Logs.... B&B makes lump, char logs and briquettes.... Blues Hog makes BBQ sauce and spice rubs!

I've used the char logs quite successfully in long cooks. They take a while to light, but burn literally forever. I have used them by themselves in my offset firebox, as a base for a fire. On my kettle I added a little lump or some briquettes to them, to fill in some of the gaps when I put them in my SNS - equivalent of the charcoal basket in your PK360.

I don't think the char logs would work well in a snake setup, as they are not consistent in size, aside from the diameter. I don't think lump would work well for a snake either for that matter. That is one of the times briquettes would be best, due to the consistent size and shape. I usually run a snake that is 2x2 (2 high, 2 wide) with 3 or 4 wood chunks spaced along the top, and light the end with 3-4 lit coals.

I don't see why you could not run a charcoal snake around the perimeter of the PK360 charcoal grate, and smoke something in the middle. If you try it with the char logs, let us know how it works out.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I recently saw that Blues Hog has expanded to offering briquettes, lump charcoal and logs.

Thanks! So, it works for regular hot' n fast cooks ie. steaks , chops, chix, swordfish, etc.. just takes longer to get going? Really don't want to buy regular lump until I run this out . Don't need three kinds of charcoal on my deck!

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I've only used the char logs for long low and slow cooks, but don't see why it won't work for hot and fast, if you let it get going.

tstalafuse live and learn! I see that you are in fact right, and I was wrong - but looking at the Blue's Hog website, those "hog logs" appear to be the same as the B&B char logs. That can't be coincidence...

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris It would be very surprising if they weren't made by B&B or one of the others. Buy them, slap their name on it, and charge premium...

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      tstalafuse I've not seen anyone else offering char-logs other than B&B, and that extruded cylindrical shape with a hole in the middle is pretty unique to them.

Blues Hog Charcoal update. Had two cooks so far with the Char logs. 1 , hot n' fast swordfish steaks, 2, pizza on a stone. Using a chimney with a half sheet of newspaper rolled around one Tumbleweed found lighting very easy! ( I find sprinkling a few wood chips on the lower 1/3 of the chimney helps ignite the coals up above faster). Very even ,consistant heat which one would expect from the uniformity of the logs and very hot with all vents open. My tip with cooking pizza on a stone is to use the "Little More" grate in the middle of the grill, stone on top, with a full chimney of coals lit underneath. Had no problem getting ambient temp into the 500 degree range! Found the charcoal remnants a little ashy the next day, but anticipate no problem using them a second time with fresh coals for the next cook. Maybe next time I'll send some pics. But you get the idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here