Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK Grill - Water Pan & Drip Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK Grill - Water Pan & Drip Pan

I'm thinking of returning to charcoal again and am considering buying a PK Grill. I've watched a number of videos of people cooking on it. When using the indirect method most seem to have a drip pan underneath the food but it looks like there is no water in it. Even if there were water in it I know from Meathead and Dr. Blonder that fat dripping into the water will prevent evaporation and the humidity you want to keep the meat from drying out. So what should you do in the PK to have the right amount of humidity? Is it advisable to have the water pan on the grate directly over the coals? Or will that simply boil away the water in no time?

Welcome to The Pit Rich! I forwarded your question to Max. Let's see what he thinks.

Comment

Water pans and drip pans have different functions. Drip pans are meant to catch drippings for making gravy and sauce and since that requires liquid to be present, they also add humidity. Drip pans obviously go under your meat and are safer on the indirect side away from the direct heat to prevent burning. Water pans are used solely to increase humidity. For low and slow cooking they can go over the coal on the cooking grate, next to the coal on the coal grate, or both. They aren't generally necessary for faster cooks like burgers, steak and fish. Read more about using water pans with charcoal grills here:
      http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Listen to Max he knows whats up.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
          Water pans and drip pans have different functions. Drip pans are meant to catch drippings for making gravy and sauce and since that requires liquid to be present, they also add humidity. Drip pans obviously go under your meat and are safer on the indirect side away from the direct heat to prevent burning. Water pans are used solely to increase humidity. For low and slow cooking they can go over the coal on the cooking grate, next to the coal on the coal grate, or both. They aren't generally necessary for faster cooks like burgers, steak and fish. Read more about using water pans with charcoal grills here:
          http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html
          Thanks, Max. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here