Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello everyone, and my take on my new PK Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, and my take on my new PK Grill

Hi ladies and gents:

I have been a lurker here for a while; this is my first post. I am finding this site to be a great asset, and The Pit is a terrific value.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a PK Grill (bought the AR bundle; thanks Meathead!). Sunday I baptized it with a 7 lb. pork butt. I very cleverly failed to take any pictures (sorry; next time), but it turned out great. I seasoned with Memphis Dust. Total cooking time was about 13 hours. I wrapped it at about 170 (no additional liquid added) and left it on until it hit 202 (about 2 hours later? Can't remember.) . The result was wonderful: great bark with a very moist texture. Due to the PK's four vents, I very easily was able to keep its internal temperature at around 250 or so. I used no wood, because I forgot to add any.

Based on a grand total of one cook, I love this grill. It's very well-constructed, and adding additional coals is a flat-out breeze. I used a perforated sheet pad that I got from Amazon to hold the coals, and a disposable pan to put underneath the meat. I ran the thermometer probe leads through the (partially-) open top vent. Cleanup was a piece of cake. I love the retro look of it. If both Meathead and Aaron Franklin like it, it's got to be good, right?

I'm sure I'll find some drawbacks to it but, so far so good! I'll keep you posted.

@rjhohne welcome aboard!

yeah those pk grills look awesome... keep us informed! send pics!

Comment

rjhohne how many times you had to refuel that thing for 13hrs?... def send pics next time

Comment

• rjhohne
        rjhohne commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I'll send photos next time. I refueled it twice during the cook. Pretty easy to do, especially given that I have no idea what I'm doing.

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        We're all figuring it out.. EACH TIME.. So as much as we think we know, any variable can change your cook in a moment's second.. Keep on cooking!

WELCOME!

Comment

Awesome and welcome, those things look really cool to me.

Comment

How much of a pain is it to dump the ashes?

Comment

• rjhohne
            rjhohne commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually not difficult at all. I bought a perforated sheet pan onto which I poured the hot coals. Afterwards, I just poured the contents of the sheet pan into my ash can. Another thing I did (since I am basically OCD and need to have all the ashes removed), is to just lift off the bottom part of the cooker and dump any remaining contents in to the ash can. If anything, that's even easier.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here