Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate you guys (PKGO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate you guys (PKGO)

MCS is strong, I'm trying to round out my cooker and fuel options... I have a pellet grill, and planned to add a gasser (ideally a flat top but maybe something something else), and well we all travel at some point. So what better way to add a 3rd fuel option to a household in hurricane country than to get a PKGo?!?!

I haven't cooked on charcoal in years so this should be fun... gotta learn it before going on trips so... I'll try to log my journey here

Click image for larger version  Name:	PK.PNG Views:	59 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	1020158
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 20, 2021, 06:10 AM.

Sweet! They have one at the Ace Hardware near me and it looks awesome. Congrats and welcome back to the charcoal club.

Comment

Sweet, those things look pretty sweet! I’d definitely own one. Seriously, your to-go grill is a PK.

Comment

I can fully respect th' fact that some/alla yall ya might Hate me, but I remain Lovin Yerselves, nonetheless....
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 19, 2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

You'll be in heaven upon first re-taste! Congrats.

Comment

Nice choice!

Comment

Question, considering I haven't run charcoal in a long time... do you think it's best to experiment with lump or just standard briquettes?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Briquettes first. Stable predictable. Then experiment with lump.
                Last edited by HawkerXP; May 11, 2021, 10:02 AM.

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the original PK, I much prefer lump. The PKGO is smaller, briquets might be better. Try both and decide.

If thats yer hurricane cooker best to look for a hurricane proof charcoal storage bin next, don’t ask me how I know......and maybe waterproof matches

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs this is a lot of fun for lighting charcoal: https://grillblazer.com/products/grillgun-set

However, it's pricey and for some reason what was already super expensive has gone up 25% in the last 6 months. Though in all honesty, a chimney works just fine and is what I use most of the time.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd pay attention to what he says. Floridians know more about hurricanes than anybody. I say that living near the Texas gulf coast for 40+ years.
                Last edited by gcdmd; June 3, 2021, 09:34 AM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                gcdmd I'm going on my 10th year living in NC, so have unfortunately got some hurricane experience under my belt. Luckily only 2 were super bad, but it was enough that I have some above average preparation methods

Have fun! Every new cooker seems to provide it!

Comment

You have to admit that it’s a love / hate relationship,,,,,,,
                Not all bad,,,,LOL !!!!!

Comment

This post reminded me to see if PK has the tailgater stand for the original PK grill back in stock. They do, just bought one. I'm taking the PK to Fredericksburg next month, the tailgater will fit in the car much better than the original stand.

I used the AR portal to PK grills through the review on the free side so that AR gets credit for my purchase.
                  Last edited by 58limited; April 20, 2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Oh man... FedEx possibly ruined my day... Last week I had an order from Wisconsin Cheese Mart that FedEx said was delivered but never was (checked video surveillance around the supposed delivery time). WCM was awesome and got me a new order out which was delivered today at the exact same time my PKGo supposedly was. Only problem is the lady dropped the cheese off at my door, and then (I assume) put the PK in the driveway in a dead spot between 2 of my cameras. I'm pretty sure she dropped it off because I hear a door open and shut a minute before she gets back in the van....

Sure hope that PK is still there when I get home

Comment

Call a neighbor??

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                        Editing a comment
                        the ones I know get home after me. Good thing is one of the other neighbors seems to have been working in their driveway across from mine all day, so that should deter shenanigans

Well, I got lucky (and live in a fairly decent neighborhood)... Not sure why the driver couldn't be bothered to go up the steps twice, but it is what it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0422211633.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	1021298

Name:	0422211642_HDR.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	1021296
                      Opening the box was easy, and KodiAKK was excited.

Name:	0422211644c.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	1021297
                      The internals are a bit over packed, but I'm sure theres a reason why. Some scissors made quick work of the layers of plastic and zip ties. Do be careful, some small bits of plastic stayed on the tips of the charcoal grate.

10 minutes or so to get it all out and the handle on and we're in business.

Name:	0422211659a.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	1021299

Just a hot and fast tonight to burn in, and will do some halloumi cheese. Also need to teach the dogs about fire safety until I build a platform on my deck for it.

Comment

• 58limited
                        58limited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Trust me, they will learn quick.

• au4stree
                        au4stree commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If it makes you feel better, our FedEx girl leaves packages on the curb. THE CURB! 🤦🏼‍♂️

First cook a success after burning it in. 2 blocks of halloumi, front seared then switched to 2 zone. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thing.

Name:	0422211815.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1021321

Name:	0422211810.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	1021322

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Suh-Weet!!!

Reckon th dogs kept they distance???

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                        Editing a comment
                        Mr. Bones, they figured it out fairly quick with their front ends... gonna take me a while to get them to watch where their fluffy tails are though. Not a huge deal when the lid is closed, but lighting the fire I was a bit concerned about a floof tail becoming a POOF tail.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here