Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe kettle?

Anyone else see this? Can’t locate on US site.

Toronto's Premier Barbecue Stores specializing in best in class brands like Lynx and Sedona, Weber, Napoleon, Traeger, Kamado Joe, Yeti Coolers and Drinkware, Big Green Egg, and more! Browse our massive collection of barbecue spices, sauces and charcoal from all around the world! Enjoy our fast, Canada-wide shipping!

I saw it posted here once before.

Comment

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you’re right, but seems like it was posted as rumor. Oh well, interesting nonetheless.

Well - lot's of interesting new stuff popping up this year. I reached out to them asking if this will be coming to the US market and they say it will in the near future. We'll want to get our hands on one ASAP.
    Last edited by Max Good; February 24, 2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure why you'd buy that. I guess price. Personally I'd rather have a regular Kamado Joe or a Kettle. But that's just me.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Pellet grill is my choice.
        Looks good in add. Check the reviews from owners.

Kinda strange mix of kettle and Kamado!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Half breed malamute. Maybe OK.

It appears to have integrated the merits of a kettle grill and a kamado into one grill. I am betting that it eliminates the need for a two zone cook with the use of their "slo-roller" insert.

I am intrigued by KJ's use of a ceramic liner in the bottom and the combustion air flow and control. It's ability to control combustion air is much different than a Weber and is in a spot where it is easy to see what you are doing. I am betting the response time to go from "low and slow" to a roaring sear will be impressive. I also like the notion of the ash drawer in the bottom.

Their sizing of the grill has got to be purposeful since it opens up all the Weber sized third party accessories out there - from grill grates to Santa Maria attachments!

This thing may well displace a PK360 out of folk's herd. It is slightly larger, likely better at "low and slow", and costs substantially less.

As you can tell, I think I want one!
      Last edited by Alphonse; February 24, 2021, 11:10 AM. Reason: punctuation/spelling

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

They seem to change and modify alot.

Comment

I like that! Curious about the venting system. I watched the video and they really didn’t explain any features, just video snippets. It looks like there is a small tab on the lid vent , where you can slide to make adjustments. I didn’t see anything about the bottom vents and or how they could be adjusted. If I didn’t already have a kettle and SnS insert I’d give that serious consideration. I like the ceramic firebox and ability to smoke with the slo roller, the 4 wheels and 2 side shelves also. Good of them to also include the bottom shelf for storage. The hinged lid is a plus as well as the slide out ash removal tray. But, why oh why....can’t anyone making a kettle, except SNS, lower the damn lid thermometer? If you’ll notice, this one could easily have been put closer to the cooking grate. I just can’t see why Weber and others, insist on putting them halfway up the lid. If I could use a lid thermometer that was pretty accurate, I’d never mess with grate probes again. Otherwise though, I like what I see.
          Last edited by Panhead John; February 24, 2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

According to the Kamado Joe website it doesn't exist. However, on a Florida website it show that it isn't suppose to be available until April 2021 and for $500. Looks very interesting. https://justgrillinflorida.com/produ...-smoker-grill/

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Jim. I watched the video, very informative and answered my questions from above. They’re marketing it as a cross between a Komodo and a kettle. That’s good IMO. I’d like to see how it does on a long brisket cook.

Still in lock down up here in the sticks so couldn't even get into Dickson's if I drove over there.
            Pre order only anyway I doubt they even have one on the floor.
            I like the US price over the CDN price.

Comment

Can't help but wonder if this is another product that is part of Weber's rationale for de-contenting the WSCG and dropping price. Granted, this is a couple inches less diameter and not double wall, though KJ would perhaps tout the ceramics as an offset. The stability issues of the initial cheaper WSCG would be a big factor.......even though they may have fixed that, the door was opened for doubt. Some cynics might say the Akorn is more a direct comp, but this seems so much more feature wise, not to mention parent company quality reputations. That adjustable height hinge/lid might imply some interesting accessories in it's future.

Comment

I have been using a Camp Chef Woodwind for the last couple of years and began to have an urge for a charcoal grill to replace the Weber I gave away when I moved to my current home (downsizing). I was originally thinking of getting another Weber kettle, but this popped up at Lowes and Walmart and after a little research I went for it. It appears to be sized to take advantage of the many grates and other accessories sized to fit the Weber, but brings the ability to handle long low and slow cooks. The vents are pretty much like regular Kamado Joe grills, so the main departure from a standard kamado is that the lower shell is metal with a basket that holds 6 shaped ceramic plates to help with heat retention. The other innovation is the slo-roller. which provides additional distance from the coals along with a diffuser that is supposed to cause a particular flow of the smoke over whatever is cooking on the upper grate. While not as heavy as a full ceramic kamado, it weighs around 120 pounds. Assembly is pretty straight forward and can be accomplished by a determined individual, but there are a couple of steps where a second set of hands would be beneficial.

I hope to do a burn in tomorrow and then will start off with some grilling (which is my primary use case for the purchase) - most likely chicken and burgers. I don't doubt that I will be smoking ribs and brisket on it once I get a handle on how it does with temperature management..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here