Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions For An Electric Hot Plate/Portable Burner? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions For An Electric Hot Plate/Portable Burner? Help!

I bought this electric hot plate a few years ago and it’s not quite hot enough for me. Here’s what I’m looking for. A portable (electric only) hot plate I can plug into and use in my garage. I live in a townhome condo and do not have a yard, just a fenced in patio area. My kitchen isn’t that big and the only exhaust fan I have is in the microwave, which just filters it and blows it back into the kitchen (useless) I’m looking for a portable burner/hot plate I can bring into the garage and use. I would mainly use it for deep frying and making blackened steaks or chops occasionally on my CI skillet. That way I don’t smoke up my house. This one is 1500 watts and still isn’t enough to really get a good, hot as hell sear, nor does it maintain a hot enough deep frying temp. Any suggestions? I would only consider something propane as a last resort and nothing electric is available. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 4, 2021, 01:05 PM.

Why electric only? I have several gas burners that are pretty good. If you do go electric I would think you would want an induction burner. Perfect for cast iron.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply Attjack Just that electric would be more convenient for me personally. The induction burner...could it be used with a pot of oil also? The pot would not be cast iron.

So. Tell the truth. Your Mon has kicked you out of the basement and into the garage. With no kitchen privilege's.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I cannot lie. She caught me drinking her bottle of Jack. Got really mad and tossed me out.

Well, if you want the best this is one of the best I have seen: https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...al/cmc850.html

I haven't done a ton of research but that one is consistently coming up as the best option. Expensive but awesome. I would love to have one of those but I would need to spend at least twice that amount on flowers for my wife to convince her it is a good idea.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂😂 NFW!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I need to message them and tell them to cease and desist using my name in their product.

I have a portable induction burner that I use outside for deep frying in a cast iron pot. Works excellent. Mine is a Duxtop purchased from Amazon from a recommendation on this forum. They have several models get the big one for deep frying (mine is 1800 watts).

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if it has something to do with the size of the pot? I I am using a 4.5 to 5 qt cast iron pot. It does take awhile to heat up but once there doesn't drop that much when food is added. I am not adding that much food at a time due to the size of the pot.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question Davek8282 I’ll usually be cooking for one and in my case the cast iron pot is about the same, 4-5 quarts max.
      RonB ?
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 4, 2021, 06:17 PM.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John - I use a Lodge CI DO about the same size. Just looked at my Duxtop and it was made in 2013. Maybe they have improved since I bought mine??

Induction is what you want. It will work with any pot that you can stick a magnet to. So, no aluminum.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I’ve never used induction before, but does it get hotter than a similar wattage of a regular burner? What’s the advantage? Thanks

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Advantages are a few. It gets hotter much faster than an electric burner and the induction 'burner' itself doesnt get hot at all as it heats the pan up via magnetism (hence the need for iron/steel cookware). It also responds much faster to temp changes since the element itself isn't hot.

Davek8282 Is this the one you have? If so, does it do a good job with deep frying? Any issues getting back to temp quick after dumping food in the pot of oil? Does it give a good sear on a steak? Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John. Looks like the one I have, it gets back to temp quickly when deep frying. I have never used to sear steak, I use a hunk of soapstone on a gas grill for searing, don't see why not though.

The Breville is $1,600.00 ​

Cooks Illustrated recommends this one at $89.99 (Max Burton):
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHWHBCF...oequippilot-20

Max Burton Digital Induction Cooktop

With a large, easy-to-read interface and a "boil" button that automatically sets the machine at its highest power setting, we thought this was the most user-friendly of the induction burners we tested. We effortlessly seared burgers, cooked caramel sauce, deep-fried zucchini sticks, and held fondue at a constant temperature for 4 hours. We thought its performance was, for the most part, on par with the $1,600 model we tested, and it’s 17 times cheaper. It also had a lock screen function, which could prevent the heat from being accidentally turned up or down. The two caveats? It took the longest to boil water (about 35 minutes) and was the loudest. However, we felt these were fairly minor issues when compared to the machine’s overall intuitiveness and accuracy. Model Number:6450Special Features:"Boil" and "simmer" buttons, built-in timer, 10 power level settings, incompatible cookware detection
    Last edited by Old Glory; February 4, 2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Old Glory. I’m gonna check it out! While I really do appreciate all suggestions...ain’t now way in hell I’m paying $1500. plus for a burner. I’m just a poor old ex con mowing lawns for a living.
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 4, 2021, 06:34 PM.

We’ve had this one for 2 years. Often gets used 2-3 times a week because it boils water faster, adjusts quicker, etc. than our smooth-top range. It nothing special, but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it purely to try out induction for when we do need to replace the range. We'll be going with induction.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks glitchy Appreciate your response. I’m gonna check it out tonight. But, how does it do for deep frying? it’ll only be for small amounts for me, and also, have you seared steaks or chops on it? How does it do for that? I’ve got a flattop electric stove also, if it can do just as well as a stove top I’m happy.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually don’t fry anything, the only thing I did fry with it was puffy taco shells and it did fine. Only searing I tried smoked up the whole house. Key is probably to use a small pan though since induction ranges run on 220 over the 110 this runs on so they have a lot more power than the countertop burners for a big 12” cast iron. If you use a little 8” skillet it would probably do well. In the end I guess I’m saying I haven’t tested it’s power.

Induction is pretty slick. We switched out range to induction. As long as a magnet will stick to it, they are fabulous for control, including deep frying.

Comment

You might also want to look at the professional stuff, some of which runs on 120 and is meant for catering etc (so, out of kitchen)

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sea...on-burner.html
      Last edited by rickgregory; February 5, 2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rick! I don’t mind spending a little more for something that’ll do the job. I’ll check em out.

Panhead John I found the original post that made me decide on the Duxtop. Towards the bottom there is a nice little chart comparing electric wattage to BTU from gas. may help you with your decision.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...top#post749182

PS I found this post by searching the forum for Duxtop and then followed a post by spinnaker.
      Last edited by Davek8282; February 5, 2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I use a 1800 watt Waring portable induction cooktop on my lanai. I don't deep-fry so I can't speak to that but I have plenty of heat for pan searing.

(Posted from my phone)

Comment

Attjack What’s your thoughts on something like this little butane model? You mentioned you have several gas burners? What do you have that you like best?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I stumbled on this while looking around. I didn’t know they made em this small and with a small butane bottle. I was picturing the gas burners with propane. This just might work for me though.

• Davek8282
            Davek8282 commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John I have one of these that I use camping, it has no where near the power of my portable induction. I don't think those small butane bottles will provide the power you are looking for to deep fry. You would have to step up to at least a 10,000 BTU propane and something more powerful would be way better.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Davek8282 I didn’t know that. Looks like I’m gonna go with the Duxtop then. It did get very good reviews. And deep frying is one thing I’m looking for, along with doing Blackened Ribeyes, where I need to get a good hot sear.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here