Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Chubby 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Chubby 3400

I have been smoking for a few years using a Weber Smoky Mountain 18" smoker. It works pretty well especially with a good temperature controller.

I have been thinking about upgrading a bit to increase capacity and consistency to my cooks. I have been interested in the Backwoods Chubby 3400 as it looks like a great smoker with good capacity for a backyard cooker. It is reviewed on the Amazing Ribs site but only got a gold and not a platinum rating. I would like to know why.

I haven't been able to find anything much about this smoker on this forum nor anywhere else for that matter. Has anyone had experience with this smoker or know where there might be some reviews for it?

It was likely reviewed before the Platinum rating came into play. Meathead can maybe shed some light.

Comment

Jerod is correct! It was reviewed before we added the Platinum Medal. But it still would not win platinum due to one issue: Since I wrote the review, much of the paint flaked off. The good news is the metal beneath the paint does not rust. I recall hearing they knew anbout the paint issue but I don't know if they have done anything about it. You might also consider the Redbox https://amazingribs.com/smoker-tailg...-smoker-review

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        I just checked it out, its going for less than 300.....so its a really good deal as well.

I have a Backwoods Party that I have left outside in Wisconsin for five years now without a cover. There is no rust or paint flaking. Just my experience.

Rob

Comment

I have had a Chubby G2 for three years and no rust. The 3400 and the new G3 are made in China. That may have something to do with the paint. The G2 and higher models are made in the US, I believe.

The G2 is the backyard sweet spot in my mind. Great capacity (holds whole racks of rib and briskets without cutting), ease of use, and most important - great food.

Comment

Thanks guys for the information. I know the 3400 and G3 are made in China which causes a bit of concern. The 3400 is powder coated so I think the peeling should no longer be a problem. The price point is one of the things that attracted me but after jlazar's post, I think I will take a second look at the G2.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here