Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on SnS Deluxe Kettle Grills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on SnS Deluxe Kettle Grills?

I have never used a kettle in 6 decades of cooking and I see nearly everyone on here raving about Weber kettles. I can see the advantages and the flexibility so I am going to try a kettle. If I like cooking on one, I will get rid of both my pellet smoker and my existing charcoal and just have the kettle and my Weber Spirit 315. However, I read reviews where folks are disappointed with Weber quality now so I looked for alternatives.

The SnS Deluxe Kettle Grills have features that make sense to me plus they have extras that Weber doesn't offer. Max gives them top reviews so they must be pretty darn good.
    If those of you who have experience with that brand of kettle would share your thoughts on them, I certainly would appreciate it!

Here’s my two cents worth .... If I was going to buy a kettle, I would buy a SnS kettle without a doubt in my mind. I recently got my daughter a Weber 22 Premium. Then I drilled holes and put in grommets for her thermometer probes. And added an SnS deluxe and drip pan. When it was all said and done, the cost was almost the same as if I had bought the SnS with insert. Now, I bought this for Karyn before the SnS kettle was available.

Looking at it now, I’d just order a SnS Kettle Deluxe. It has a better grate, probe hole and fan hole already drilled, with grommets/covers. I like the 4 legs better. The side shelf is awesome.

In fact, I think that for that price you get about 80% of the capability of really high end stuff like a Hasty-Bake. If I was going to do it all over again, I think I wouldn’t buy my Hasty-Bake and I’d just get the SnS :-)

Comment

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      I would too. There are so many good features on them. But I already have the Weber with the SnS so I can't justify it. Maybe a leg will fall off of it and I can do a really proper Orwell joke AND get an SnS kettle.

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are some persuasive comments! I have also been thinking of adding either a 26" or 22" kettle to my smoker/grill family and have decided on a 22" for the accessory availability and can always fire up the Jumbo Joe to assist if needed. I like the look of the SnS much but wondered if it was over priced, now I realize it is not overpriced and I believe worth it's price. Hummmmmm I have a birthday coming up next month! Thanks!
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; September 21, 2020, 07:19 AM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke I nearly have my wife convinced to let me add a kettle. She believes it will be easier/quicker and something she can use when I'm not home. :-D

I would pick up the sns kettle in a second if I didn’t already have 2 Weber’s and a wsm. My only question is why get rid of the others?

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Clark, just two of us too. I have a bad case of mcs though. I can’t seem to get rid of anything, luckily my wife keeps me in check lol

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My MCS is kicking in hard on the SnS Kettle .... I don’t need it at all, but I really want it

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper I hear ya there, Brother!

We's runnin low on kettles, hereabouts...

The kettle works great for smoking but is capacity limited. Otherwise it’s hard to beat. As said above the SNS has all the modifications I already did to all my Weber’s for almost the same cost and no time spent.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

My thoughts are, I want one! Haven't had a kettle since my Dad's when I was a kid. Love the convenience of a gasser, but after hanging here for a while, would really like a pure charcoal burner.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      I like cooking on charcoal. I'm retired (and old) so don't anything else to do. Rarely in a hurry for cooking but I'll still have my Weber gas. Thanks.

I love my Weber Kettle. I also have a cheap Master Built kettle that works pretty good. So, happy that you are looking at getting sometime of kettle!

Here’s another review on the SnS Kettle that JoeSousa did, perhaps you already saw this, but it’s well done.

Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill Review - The Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill took the best parts of the standard kettle and made some great, thoughtful additions

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for you comments and the referral.

I don’t know if Weber’s quality has really gone down at all, but their service is definitely frustrating to work with recently. I do accept the CEO’s explanation that they are overwhelmed with COVID and everyone cooking at home more.

However, if I was buying a kettle, it would be hard not to lean towards the SnS kettle. I just wish it had a hinged lid instead of a bail, but it works.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't have everything. Thanks!!

I've heard nothing but good things about the SnS kettle. An acquaintance of mine has one (on my advice) and loves it. I know David Parrish stands behind his products. If I didn't have a yard full of Webers, I'd buy 2.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Only a yard full???

The SnS is a great Weber Kettle alternative. I would also check out the Weber Summit Charcoal. It truly is one of the most versatile Grills/Smokers out there.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

The new Weber master touch premium looks very interesting!!! Looks like it gives you some new versatility for cooking?
    I love my kettles and maybe their customer service is having issues at the moment but heck most businesses are right now. They have always went above what was asked when dealing with my issues and claims.

Comment

Hey, nuff said about he SnS. BTW just a little of the SnS goins on was hatched here on Amazin Wibs. Ol’ Dave is a member & one of our founding fore flushers & an emeritus person of the Pit.
      My advice, git it! Just git it. It will be one of the best things you ever did do. And, don’t be in a hurry to git rid of anything. 🕶

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave is awesome. Nuff said

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Leave us never ferget that our very own Huskee was deeply involved, as well...

Kinda in regards to what FireMan said, a pellet grill and a kettle make a great combo. Sometimes you just don't feel like the hassle of waiting for coals to get ready and the pit locked into temp. I love my WSCG, but use my pellet grill more just for the convenience. When I want something really special, I light up some coals for the WSCG. Myself, I actually sold my gasser for a pellet grill, but it's a SmokeFire that will get to 600 degrees.

If you do have any interest in the WSCG like Old Glory suggested, you might want to hold and watch a couple months to see if the rumored new model rumor is legit. It's quite a jump over a kettle in price, but a little more versatile and easy. After using a kettle, a performer, and a WSCG, I'm a little surprised the WSCG isn't more popular than it is, but the price is really holding it back. Most people don't realize that the extra dough really gets you a pit that locks onto temps pretty hard and really reduces the fuel you burn. It's hard to tell from lookin at pics just how efficient it is. It does, however, take a long time to recover the savings of $1000+ worth of charcoal. If the new price settles in at $999, $600-700 still takes a while, but is more visible for sure. With the WSCG, it has a fan port and you don't need probe ports with the gasket. The SnS low profile is definitely not needed (but is nice for smaller LnS cooks if you can find one somewhere). The 2" of extra diameter is also a surprising increase in cooking area.
      Last edited by glitchy; September 20, 2020, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy I agree 100%. The WSCG should not be compared to a kettle. It should be compared to a Kamado. If Weber had marketed the WSCG as a steel Kamado I think it would have sold much better. It is so versatile. It is the best of both worlds. It does everything a Kamado can do and is a great kettle grill as well. I use mine 5-6 nights per week all year long. To me it's not an expensive kettle it is a comparably priced Kamado.
        Last edited by Old Glory; September 20, 2020, 06:30 AM.

I have the SNS Kamado. I can tell you that their service and quality are fantastic. They go out of their way for their customers. Do I need one of their kettles? No, I really dont but would love to have one! Wait, do I have MCS?

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure that MCS is a requirement to join Pitmaster :-)

I'm thinking about a 26" Kettle. If only they made a 26" SnS Kettle. (sigh)

Comment

I wonder how accurate that built in thermometer is ?

Can the hole for the thermo probe take more than one cable ?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          JoeSousa says in his review that it’s about 10F off from a digital probe. That’s margin of error stuff there. I would imagine that the probe hole can handle 4+ cables since they sell the Maverick XR-50.

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it has been close enough for me. Just a few degrees off. I still generally use a probe thermometer like the Thermoworks Smoke since I can track things from inside the house.

• zzdocxx
          zzdocxx commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty dang good compared to my Traeger, which is 30F off.

Looks like an awesome unit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here