Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPARK - have people seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPARK - have people seen this?

Some AI engine pushed an ad for this in front of me: https://www.sparkgrills.com/.

It looks intriguing but the first thing that jumps out at me is that there doesn’t seem to be any way of setting up for two-zone cooking. I get that you can supposedly dial in whatever temp you want, but how can you execute a good reverse sear if you have to wait however long for the grill to get from 225 to 500?

Also, I’m getting a strong "give away the razor, sell razor blades" vibe from the custom, pressed charcoal brick that this grill seems to require. Can anyone other than Spark make and sell these things? Will anyone?

What do other people think?

This grill looks old school...like it was made in 1952.

And am I reading it right that each of these one of a kind "briqs" only lasts up to an hour? 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Last edited by Arsenlael; September 11, 2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      yep - not long enough to be useful at my house...

$4 to $6 to cook for 60 to 90 minutes. So a 10 hour brisket is $40 to $60 to cook plus needs replenishing up to 10 times.

Might as well use dollar bills.

LMAO!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wail, at least brisket is really cheap lol!

$800 for a small grill with a flimsy frame that requires custom "briqs"? No thank you.

Comment

I can see the market angle they are going for.

the idea is an interesting one, controlling fire by charcoal shape etc. But ease of use only outweighs that cost for some people.

if it was possible to be significantly cheaper, they would have a big draw.

as it stands a PK classic gives you a similar asthetic with even more versatility and much less operating cost.

Comment

I have watched bits & pieces of this ad. Nothing interesting except the dumb brique, interesting spelling. Sorta groovy, the guy looks hip & groovy, very clean for a non-cook. Yeah, I would say it’s groovy! Groovy price too.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          well that's like, your opinion, man...

There's no fact behind the presented assumptions. This answers a question no one asked. I don't believe the majority of grillers use propane because charcoal is too hard / time consuming.

Spark did solve one thing that's always bothered me - they finally made a charcoal grill that you have to plug in. LoL

And they're not exactly giving away the razor - my printer eats ink but it was darn near free.
        Last edited by JGo37; September 11, 2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          You've hit on one my peaves. A marketing department creates a problem nobody really has, and solves it for everyone.

Interesting concept I guess, but no thanks

Comment

My bride has a saying that she uses whenever someone reacts to advertising like this with a comment that boils down to "Why?", She says, "You're not the target market." Remotely related to the aged teenage saying that goes something like "My music isn't too loud, you're too old.".

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. I could see tons of folks buying this. Just not many here :-)

• gilbertpilz
            gilbertpilz commented
            Editing a comment
            It seems like they put a lot of thought into this product so I don't get how/why they didn't think to put the briq assembly on one side and leave half the grill area available for indirect cooking. I don't care how slowly the briq burns, I'm not putting large chunks of meat directly over my heat source (without a deflector plate) and it looks like there is only a couple of inches on either side that don't sit over the briq.
            Last edited by gilbertpilz; September 13, 2020, 08:38 AM.

I’ve actually looked at their site a few times. They do say they are working on a LnS briquette that will go 6-8 hours. The whole concept of load a tray, flip a switch and go in and prep food why it comes up to temp is what I love about pellet grills. I’m not sure I see $800 in this though when you can get many pellet grills or the MB Gravity grills for that or less and have the same convenience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here