Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Pit

Ever had an inkling of a dream that cooking a whole hog would be fun? Yeah? Me too. However, the problem is that I live on a hill composed primarily of limestone. Subsequently, I found an idea on line of making what is essentially a large offset pit. I am fortunate enough to have a friend with a skid steer loader and expertise on building (I have neither). To that end we are building this pit. Not sure when the first cook will be (Covid and large gatherings and all), however, will keep you all apprised and will likely be soliciting some of y'alls expert advice and opinion as cooking time comes closer.

We are making the pit a bit wider than for that for which the plans originally called, however, our plan is to double the inflow and outflow of air also to make sure the pit can get enough air and air flow. We are also filling all of the holes in the cinder blocks with concrete for added insulation and will be making the top out of steel, covering it with a welding blanket and then will be using sandbags for more insulation on top.

The plan will be to have the pig sitting up off of the ground on a grate in the cook chamber to allow smoke and heat all around the pig. The fire pit will be lined with bricks and have a rack also for ash to fall through.

Given the size of the pit I know I may need to also start a second small fire in the main cooking chamber just to help it get to temp and ultimately let it burn out for lack of fuel prior to placing the hog.

I know some of these thoughts are early, however, right now I have plenty of free time prior to the inaugural cook and I want to get everything lined out.

Many thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy the adventure too!

Sweaty Paul
    Attached Files

This looks very interesting! I will be watching your posts. Good luck, looks like fun!

Comment

I’ve seen them cooked before, and it looks like you are on the road to success. Are you planning a large party?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Post Covid soirée is the plan on my five acres to chill out, play bags, kids fish in the pond, have a chipping contest, and listen to tunes.

Nice going excellent build. ... whole hogs take a long time to cook. May I suggest a nice wooden bar and extra large trash can for the empties..

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Or 120 quart Yeti cooler and ice. 😃

That looks like a blast. Take plenty of pics and keep us posted

Comment

Looking good. I do have a question. How are you going to replenish the coals under the shoulders and hams once the pig is in place?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Plan is to use as giant offset currently. Front box is going to be the fire pit. With the large cook box. That said the cooking rack will be able to be lifted out of the pit.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Someone's been watching the Rodney Scott episode of Chef's Table: BBQ, yes?

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 Yes, but my dad and then my brother owned BBQ restaurants in NC with whole hog cooking so I’m quite familiar with it.

Nice work. But a LOT of work. I have a local butcher that rent a full pig roasting kit for jus $35 if you buy the pig from him. Pig prices are equal to other sources in the area. Way easier. 🤷‍♂️Good luck with it though. It will be fun.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          This is one of those "I have space, time, and nothing better to do" moments. We don’t have the equipment rental for pig cooking, however, we have pigs and ground.

Following. Looking forward to living vicariously.

Comment

Soo-Ee!

Comment

I've been thinking of building a pit like that for a couple of years now. Anxious to see your results. Followed.
            Last edited by 58limited; September 8, 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

lay piggy lay; lay across my big brass grate.

Comment

You live on a hill?

Comment

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A Kansas hill 😂

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Basically the only hill. Just on the edge of Hays, Kansas.

Just curious, but wouldn't the air space in the cinder blocks be better insulation than concrete?

Comment

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The air space might be better insulation, but solid concrete will be a large thermal mass to help stabilize temps.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point, Red Man

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also looking for ways to maintain the integrity of the structure while lifting large bulky and possibly hot items in and out Of the cook chamber.

Very cool!

Comment

This is gonna be good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here