Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New grill look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grill look

I'm finding that the pristine new look of most grills disappears quickly and will never look as good as when they were new. My stainless steel Weber gas grill looked awful a few years out, but even my M Grill stainless turns color from the heat and grease. Perhaps the kettle and ceramic grills show the least degradation. Wondering whether others bother to try to keep them clean or let all the marks accumulate as a reminder of use?
    Last edited by BBQPhil; August 20, 2020, 05:06 PM.

Oh man. You just made me feel so much better! No. I do NOT clean my cookers to keep them looking "like new." I clean them as needed for a good tasty cook. But the outside especially, well not a beauty contest.

Comment

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      You made me feel better Jfrosty27

Click image for larger version  Name:	3E2079D9-BB28-44AA-A7B4-15779F129229.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.74 MB ID:	899247 I must follow up. See my avatar. That was the day my Recteq RT 700 arrived. Here it is about 1 yr later. Looks even worse now, about 6 mos after that photo. But clean as needed on the inside! Similar with my other cookers I’m afraid.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; August 20, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I bought a used Blaze 304 SS cart grill last year. It was a year or two old. Looks just like it came from the store.
      Last edited by Hulagn1971; August 20, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Funny you brought this up now. I try and keep everything clean but there is a change after use and time that does bother me just a little bit. I just finished my first cook Monday after spending the previous week stripping my Yoder down to almost bare metal and repainting the entire exterior. Hopefully I will be satisfied for a few more years before repeating all the work.

Comment

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Doing the same for my Yoder right now too.

I think you are right in that my Performer Deluxe kettle stays cleanest. My Weber Genesis II hood and stainless side tables have discolorization. My next gasser, if any, I will go black for the hood rather than a light color. The Camp Chef flat top so far is staying pretty clean, but I’ve noticed a little discolorization in some of the stainless at each end, from heat.
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 20, 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

This is why I generally git mosta my cookers from CL, etc.

Th NEW is already offa them, saves me any guilt trip bout external appearance, or th $ I mighta unarsed....

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought you had all those cookers about so you could feel "newer." 😎

• ScottyC13
            ScottyC13 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think of your process as more of a cooker rescue program!

I normally give the gasser a quick rinse with the power washer, when I have it out for another project. But I don't worry about it too much.

Wife didn't like how the PBC looked. Said she wasn't going to eat anything out of an old barrel. So I painted it.

I care more about what comes off the cooker than how pretty it is.

Function before form.

Comment

I don’t stress over it...but mine are pretty clean. They don’t really look too different from new...on the outside. Open a lid and it’s a different story. LOL They’re clean, but it’s obvious that there has been smoke & fire in them...as there should be.
            My griddle is getting nice and dark...as it should as well...but the cart looks pretty good.
            And the stove still looks almost new, but the flame tamers have obviously seen some heat, same with the pizza stone in the oven.
            Truth be told, I probably clean my cookers better than I clean my cars. LOL Then again I don’t eat out of my cars.

Comment

If the cooker is stainless steel I go to Advance Auto Parts and buy Spray 9. It is amazing!

Comment

None of my grills are dirty, I call them well patinaed. And I've watched enough episodes of 'Antiques Roadshow' to know patina adds value....

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones Aye. I if I ever decide to sell my KBQ I figure I can purchase two new ones with the proceeds! ;-)

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aye, then, Brother!

Great Minds!!

Reckon I'll throw in Rare, Vintage, Hard to Fiind, 1 owner in th description, push th bids even higher...

Kinda sounds misleadin, deceptive, perhaps from an outsider's perspective, I'd reckon...

Never meant as such...

Jus wanted to level th field, allow stoopid folks to participate in my auction(s), as well...

Demographically, a most valuable target market.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones I think we need FireMan to start a Poll.

I tried to keep my Blaze gasser clean for the first month or 2. I do clean the inside and try to keep the shelves as clean as possible. But I just noticed that the outside of the cart has streaks of the cleaning material dried up on it. Oh, well, will try to remember to also clean that the next time, whenever that may be. My Traeger gets cleaned on the inside after every 3 or so long cooks, and I wipe the shelves down a bit. I have never really cleaned the outside of my Weber, just a hose down. I have only cleaned the inside of my PBC.

Comment

I brush 2-3 times per day, floss all day, blue rinse 2-3 times a day. The grills get a pressure wash every couple years on the outside, grates get pressure washed in between cooks. I've yet to have any plaque, tartar, or cavities on the grills.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow. Impressive. Your teeth too.

• JimLinebarger
                    JimLinebarger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, cleaning your teeth is much easier when you can hold them in your hand to work on them. Grills are a little heavy.

I’m just lazy. The last darn thing I wanna do is clean. Or pick thyme. Or turn artichokes.

I give the primo a wipe with a damp paper towel but the covers usually on when not in use.

id have to clean the grease off the Blackstone to tell if there is any damage.

Honestly though I Make the Princess (9 yr old Ava) do it. And the kettles too.

once she gets over having to clean something she’s fine and does a good job.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Princesses don't do chores. I'm sure little Ava has reminded you of that many a time.

K.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc My Princess will for Brats, smash burgers and quesadillas.

• Derickls
                    Derickls commented
                    Editing a comment
                    picking thyme is one of my least favorite cooking tasks

Cleaning can sometimes be a futile effort. I will try to give it a once over right before cooking but thats it. They are just not going to very clean over time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here