Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To use or not to use. That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To use or not to use. That is the question.

I just purchased a new slow and sear kettle. I have been anxiously waiting for it to arrive planning what I was going to cook with it first. It arrived a couple of days ago. Unfortunately the first thing I saw upon unboxing it was this paint chip. Very disappointing. Contacted the company and they shipped another bowl out the next day. So far so good but now I have to wait another 10 days. So I was wondering this morning if I should go ahead and use this one. The inside of the bowl is going to get coated in gunk anyway right? What do you think? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_153733.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	892611

Do you have to return this bowl, or is going in the trash? If you don't need to return the bowl, cook with it until the replacement shows up.

I received a Camp Chef FTG900 with a dented lower shelf, and it took a month or two for Camp Chef to get a replacement lower shelf to me. They don't want the old one back, and I've been too lazy to replace it so far. The new shelf is propped up against the side of the shed out in the back yard, waiting for me to swap them out.
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 7, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• HandsomeDave
      HandsomeDave commented
      Editing a comment
      No they don't want it back. I am thinking about hitting the spot with some high temp paint. And just going for it. If it rusts I will have a replacement for it on hand.

So they aren't asking for you to ship that one back, and you would just essentially throw it away once the new bowl arrives? I'd definitely use the one with the paint chip until the new one gets there.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd use it until it rusted out. Kudos to SnS.

I agree that in theory I want a perfect item when I purchase something. I'd of done the same thing as you.

Having said that; however, if you get a can of high heat spray paint and put a couple three costs over that chip, I bet you it would hold up just as long as if it weren't there. At the end of the day, the gunk that's going to get built up on the wall of that kettle will cover that thing to the point you wouldn't even know it was there.

Comment

I would use it just like it is.

Comment

I would surely use it unless you have to send it back. They are sure great folks who support their products. Looking forward to how you enjoy that kettle.

Comment

Use it. Save the other for the future.

Comment

So you start out thinking "Unacceptable! I want a replacement" and when they send one out you switch to "Eh, it's not that bad and the gunk buildup will hide it..."

Really?

Comment

• HandsomeDave
            HandsomeDave commented
            Editing a comment
            So you are saying, if you received it that way, you would have thought it was no big deal? My biggest issue is I don't want to wait, but at this point I am probably going to because I don't have time to put it together, and I am seeing other defects in the paint job.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            It actually makes sense to just go ahead and use it as-is for awhile. He has been made whole, regardless of when he chooses to use the replacement bowl. There's a chance that it will never rust out, or that it will happen well after the warranty period. Either way, he now has the chip free bowl he paid for.

You could use it for target practice as hunting season is coming up soon.

Comment

Large Cesar salad bowl

Comment

Cook it Dano!

Comment

I'd fire that puppy up...

Rub ya some oil, or meat grease in that Beauty Mark, every time ya cook on it, afore, then afterwards... i.e.: season like a piece of cast iron...

That'l keep it from rustin out far longer than High Temp paint, an not put burnt off paint fumes in yer cook chamber...

Jus sayin...

Comment

I now have a brand new 26.75" fire bowl from Weber. But I had just drilled out and installed a fan and probe port in the old one just prior to the weld on the handle failing. Do I fix the old handle myself and keep using the old bowl for a while? And what do I do with the extra bowl? I have an Arteflame insert so I could build my own dedicated Arteflame but realistically I have an EVO Grill now so I don't see really using it and it would take up space.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here