Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primo XL Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primo XL Question

I've recently moved from CA to AZ. Waiting in temporary digs while our home is being completed. I have the privilege of designing from the dirt up my new BBQ pit. Left behind a Large Big Green Egg for my son. Looking at going to the Primo XL. Any kamari style users out there, I have a question. The lid on this model at the place I will get it is significantly heavier to lift than the Egg was. Curious if it just wasn't adjusted with the right spring tension, etc. or if this is a normal condition. Thoughts?

I find that my Primo Oval XL's lid is heavier than my LBGE's but not as heavy as my XLBGE.
    With that said not sure if you noticed that for about the past 2 years all the Primo Oval XL's shipped with "clip kit" installed to prevent band slippage.
    Additionally it is rumoured that a new band/hinge system is in the works. Hopefully its with an assist mechanism.

Comment

• jfarley
      jfarley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. The weight of the lid on the Primo at the dealer would not be a deal breaker for me but appreciate the additional insight.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      jfarley it would not surprise me if the dealer did not have the band adjusted properly. Even though the lid is heavier on the Primo than the BGE it still opens with relative ease.

My XL is heavy to lift as well. It is now about 3 years old. When I first got it, a slight breeze would cause it slam shut. Not good for safety or the health of the grill. The dealer came and adjusted it, not sure what they did I was at work, but it worked.

I did hear that they changed the assist mechanism in the new ones but do not know anything about it.

FYI - for the future there is a Primo channel to post questions like this.
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-kamados/primo​​​​​​
    Last edited by pjlstrat; July 25, 2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• jfarley
      jfarley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and appreciate the link to the Primo channel!

My BB lid is heavy as all get out.

In fact in all of the the ridiculous, useless videos I post you can hear me grunt and squeek when

I open the lid, especially with my right hand.

That sucker is heavy. Can you smart people tell me what to look for on this Clip Kit thing that prevents the band slippage? tiewunon

Comment

HouseHomey
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e21w5pvbl...p_Kit.pdf?dl=0
      Above is the retro fit for older Primo owners for the clip kit. Newer ovals are shipped as factory installed. Its an easy mod after you get over the fact that you are drilling into your cooker.
      My mind is a bit foggy but I think it was "Char Woody" from the old Primo and BGE forum that came up with this idea.

If you dont utilize dropbox you can find info here. Scroll down to "clip kit"http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/primo-brochures
      Last edited by tiewunon; July 25, 2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I have those vertical bars but they are at the front of the cooker. Not sure how that works but I think I’m good.

HouseHomey you are golden they ship them attached to the front. I installed mine on the front on mine also.

Comment

It’s not just rumor, the new Primo’s will have new hinge systems, SS grates and vent caps. I’m not sure the timeline on hinges, but I believe they are already shipping with SS grates and vent caps. Link below has pics and info on retro fit of hinge if you decide to go ahead and pull the trigger. That said, the lid is heavy and I welcome a new hinge on my primo xl.

I’m proud for George but am sad because the unknown regarding the great warranty. He posted this on the Primo group on FB.
        Last edited by au4stree; July 25, 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here