Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on moveable tray grill/smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle Bob Yeah, I may join the OJB club someday! Definitely seems a better deal than the Judge.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      If the grilling space works I agree, though the quick switch to sear is fussier. And if you have a Wally World nearby that stocks them and clearance sales periodically they are an absolute, unbeatable, steal.

And just like that, yesterday the world famous Jerod Broussard posts up a much more professional review of the Judge than a hack like me.
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...charcoal-grill
    He nailed it! (but what would you expect)
    Here are the mods I made to tighten her up for better temp control;

Click image for larger version

Name:	oj judge 02.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	889268

Name:	oj judge 03.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	889269

Name:	oj judge 06.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	889270

Name:	oj judge 07.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	889271

Name:	oj judge 13.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	889272

And just because I'm old, it's heavy, and it's against my religion to work too hard, I modified the wheel thing for ease of mobility.

Name:	oj judge 08.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	889273

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude awesome!!! I dropped mine off a couple weeks ago to someone who needed a grill that size. Trust me, that review went to the "editorial processing plant"

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      what did you do to the base of the chimney??

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, when I was putting it together I saw a similar gap as you showed so ran a bead of rtv around the base before tightening it down. Also I mounted the stack with the base flange under the lid rather than on top as you did. I fits better that way, though still a bit "gappy".
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; July 31, 2020, 12:36 PM.

I own both a Hasty Bake Legacy and a M1 and while the HB is great for grilling, smoking anything has been very frustrating. It leaks air like a sieve and you cannot control temps with it at all. Mine will run over 300 degrees with the vents shut down 100%. Build quality is ok but it's only made out of 18 gauge steel so pretty thin.

The M1 is a lot better and mine has held temps great except on my last cook where it got very windy and then I had issues with stable temps. It's built like a tank with 10 gauge steel. They also make a stainless steel model.

I've read a lot of good things about the LSG model and everyone that has one seems to love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here