Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mgrills M1 vs LSG "adjustable charcoal grill"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mgrills M1 vs LSG "adjustable charcoal grill"

Hello all, I'm wanting to purchase a new grill/smoker immediately and really having a tough time pulling the trigger on one. I've narrowed down my selection to the Mgrills M1(or m36) or the lonestar grills "adjustable charcoal grill" I had also considered the Klose "chef grill" but there is no real info on their site so it's hard for me to visualize. Wish they had a walk around video.

I'm wondering if anyone has had hands on both the mgrill and the lsg?

Right now the way I see it is:

​​​​​​M1 pros:
    More aesthetically pleasing to me. Just looks super nice
    ​​​Reverse flow smoker
    Difused cooking area
    Precision control of charcoal grate height

​​​​​​
    ​​​​
    ​​​​​Cons:
    Firebox seems small. Can only hold 5-6 hrs worth of lump charcoal.
    Can't add coal to the upper charcoal grate without removing food
    Some complaints about controlling Temps on direct charcoal grilling
    M1/m36 both kind of small for the respective prices.

Lsg Adjustable grill
    Pros:
    Holds a large amount of coal in the fire basket(with optional basket)
    Can add coal easily without removing food
    More surface area when used as charcoal grill

Cons:
    Doesn't look quite as good
    No way to do Difused smoking so you lose half the grate size if using as offset.

At this point I'm probably leaning slightly towards the lsg as AZFogey's thread illustrates how awesome it works.

Last edited by Ecb; June 17, 2020, 08:05 AM.

The LSG video of the grill/smoker is very impressive
    seems to give you some nice options

Comment

Originally posted by Greygoose View Post
      The LSG video of the grill/smoker is very impressive
      seems to give you some nice options
      Definitely. I've probably watched that video and the mgrill videos like 10x lol note) just get more confused each time.

Comment

The only thing I see different is the LSG weighs 100lbs more and has double walled fire box, making it more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
          The only thing I see different is the LSG weighs 100lbs more and has double walled fire box, making it more efficient.
          The m grill actually also has a double walled insulated fire box as well.

I think one of the main differences is, the m1 firebox is completely isolated from the cooking area while the lsg is open into the cooking chamber. Only downside to the lsg is to smoke in "offset" mode you limit half of the usable space. (granted even half is plenty big with the second shelf.

Downside as I see it to the mgrill is small charcoal basket and have to remove food to add coal...
          ​​​

​

Comment

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe LSG can make a heat deflector plate for when you smoke in the offset mode to give you more smoking territory up above ???

No experience with the other but absolutely love my M1... it’s like a Swiss Army knife!

Comment

If this’ll sway ya mebbee, M1 is a member. There was a recent post and they use some insane gauge steel like 5,000 gauge thick, well maybe not quite that, but really thick. 🕶
            Last edited by FireMan; June 17, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny. Ultra thin material. It would collapse under it's own weight. Sheet Metal gauges run in the other direction; lower # is thicker. 16ga is approx 1/16" 10 gauge is 1/8" Maybe contrary to logic I guess.

I don’t have any experience with either of those exact models. What I can say is everything LSG puts out is absolutely top notch as I have one of their 24x36” offsets. It is a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
              I don’t have any experience with either of those exact models. What I can say is everything LSG puts out is absolutely top notch as I have one of their 24x36” offsets. It is a beast.
              Thanks!

Comment

Hi guys, hoping to revive this three to get an updated take on these grills. I am considering the same. I have a Deep South Smoker RGC as my primary smoker so this purchase will finally replace my gas grill. I’ve approached Travis at MGrills to see if he’d modify an M36 SS to add independent adjustability to the left and right grates in similar fashion to the LSG AS&S but he understandably said no because they are too busy to redesign or customize. I would primarily use the new cooker for steaks, cheese burgers and sauce-laden foods like BBQ chicken. Smoking would be secondary use.

Any thoughts from those who have experience? Any alternative cookers out there I should consider considering instead?

thanks,
                David

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Sorry, but I've never used any of those grills, so I can't help, but someone will be along shortly who can.

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL.

I had a similar conundrum when MCS set in and narrowed it down to the MGrills M1, M36 an LSG Adjustable or a LSG offset. Thinking about how we would use it and the cost I decided on a LSG offset.

We "usually" only cook for 2-3 but it can easily be 8-9 many times. One issue I have with both cookers from MGrills is the upper shelf, it really looks "mickey mouse" to me. I keep thinking Travis will redesign the hood to allow for a better upper shelf. I understand being busy but a company should not stop trying to get better, just my thought. The redesigned firebox is good but it is limited in size although I did like the amount of stainless. I leaned towards the M36 for the surface area and how you can remove the grates to access the area below if you have charcoal there but it would be around $4600 to get to my house.

The LSG Adjustable was very nice and I came close to going with that one but doing a "pro/con" (I am an engineer) the LSG offset can do all the stuff the adjustable can although neither is perfect at everything we would do. The LSG offset was about $1500 cheaper than the Adjustable and I couldn't justify the additional cost (my name is NOT Bill Gates) for a few items it might do better. I was also a little concerned about the surface area doing multiple pieces of protein, it seems to do one or two really well, 4-5 I would be concerned.

I haven't cooked on any of these mentioned but I have watched numerous videos, talked to people here on AR and on other sites and it came down to a cost/benefit at least right now. It might change after getting the offset but for the difference in cost I was willing to try. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

I've had my LSG Adjustable G&S since March of this year. I've grilled and smoked several different meats and vegetables on it with no complaints. There is a tremendous amount of real estate on the top and bottom grates so there seems to always be a heat zone that will work. The adjustable rack for the charcoal/wood make it even more able to get a heat zone that might be needed. It's pretty easy to cook on. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the MGrill lineup.

Comment

Good afternoon - reviving this thread again as I'm debating between an M Grills M36 and the LSG Adjustable Charcoal Grill & Smoker. Any updated opinions or experiences with either? Thanks!

Comment

Hasty Bake 357 Pro

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here