Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions About Kettles For The Kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Kettles For The Kid

So, for her birthday my daughter is getting her first grill. She’s the one that loves to cook and grill with me. Figured she’s old enough (17) to have her own grill.

My plan is to get her a 22” Weber kettle, a Slow n Sear, and a roasting pan. With that setup she can cook anything, pretty much.

I know pretty much nothing about Weber kettles beyond the original. I had one of those 30 years ago, or so, and really had no idea how to use a grill back then anyhow. These days there’s about 40,000 different sorts of Webers.

So, the question is which one to get? I don’t want to spend a fortune, I do want it work well for her. Is there really much value in anything beyond the original 22” Kettle if I buy the SnS and roasting pan? Is a Master Touch worth the extra $100?

The classic kettle will let ash blow onto the ground on windy days but other than that it won’t be functionally different from the master touch. The lid bail and one touch ash system are luxuries, really nice luxuries.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If the WSM had a lid bail, I would not have had to buy the lid hinge :-)

In my limited experience, yes.
    The ash basket alone is great, makes clean up a breeze.
    If your not in a hurry check Craig's List and save buying a used kettle, there was one up here on Kijiji last week for $100 used 3 times.

Comment

I use the master touch on the WSCG when going kamado style, but use the chimney or SnS methods otherwise. I would go with a one touch and pimp it out with a gasket and hinge. Bore a probe port into it as well and she'll be good to go. I imagine she'll be using Pop's thermometers.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m giving her my old Maverick :-)

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike I’ve got plenty of lavalock and can pretty easily seal it for her. Or is there a gasket sold by someone that is better than that? Is a lid hinge better than the bail on the Master Touch?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I confused the ignition system with the ash removal. I have a premium that I think I paid about $150 new 2 years ago. It has the One Touch and I prefer it over the saucer. Plus it helps a newbie with vent control. Also, the Lavalock is fine, put it on while it's nice and shiny new.

If it was me I would go for the Original Kettle Premium, because it has the ash bucket for catching the ash, instead of it falling into the metal pan and blowing all around. The lid has a hook to hang on the edge of the bowl. It also comes in red and green if you want to put some color in her life. You might also want to get her a set of drip pans,.tongs and spatula. Happy Birthday to the daughter.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Getting her the SnS roasting pan as a starting point on drip pans. Definitely will get her some decent tongs and spatula. I want this setup to be entirely hers, not having to borrow stuff from Dad.

I've got a few kettles out front, none are Master Touch, ain't never had a problem with ash, wind, etc. Never have felt like it was overly complicated, or an onerous task to dump th lil frisbee, afterwards...in fact, I dump it round th perimeter of my house, an never haveta weed-eat.

I heartily endorse jus gittin th original kettle; I've cooked a few times on one, never had me no complaints.

Sendin my Very Best Birthday Wishes out to yer youngun.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, if I was to be a cookin on a wooden deck, I could fathom havin th extry bucket thang, up underneath.
        Shorta that, cain't see no sense spendin no extry hunnert dollars on it.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 23, 2020, 11:10 AM.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I kinda figured with the SnS she’s not going to be dealing with tons of ash in the bottom anyway?

So far I’ve got the following as her rig

Weber original kettle 22”
      Weber cover
      Weber tongs/spatula
      Weber chimney
      Slow n Sear Deluxe
      SnS Drip n Griddle Pan
      Maverick ET-732 Thermometer
      Thermapen orginal

I also will seal it with lavalock and drill a thermometer port (I have some extra grommets for my WSM)

If that ain’t good enough, I’ll give her something to cry about ;-)

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like she's all set. And having learned on the Original, she will appreciate the ash bucket when she upgrades one day.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha!

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        You can add the ash bucket to the Original for something like $30. That's what I did, I think I got it from grill parts.com for $28, it just snaps right in.

I like the master touch for the lid bail, which is really handy. I also love the GBS grate that comes with it - its a *much* better grate than the one that comes with the standard or premium kettle. That said, you can also buy her a GBS grate for Christmas. The GBS grate is really nice if she ever gets a vortex, which can ruin a standard grate. But, since the center comes out of the GBS grate, its perfect.

The only other thing I might recommend is a charcoal rake!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        A charcoal rake probably is a good idea. And some gloves.

Just for fun, here's a couple of pics of the hinge. I do like it, but totally unnecessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	850595

Name:	Hinge.2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	850596

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got a hinge on my WSM. It’s awesome luxury. BUT I figure that’s a bit more luxury than the kid needs just yet.

A couple thoughts; is she tall? The Master touch, besides the things mentioned above, is 2-3 inches taller than the Standard or Premium. Second, have you been checking around for availability? Most of the online sites are showing deliveries two to three weeks out from now with no inventory on hand. Might fit your window, or there might be someone there locally with stock. Apparently the C-19 thing has amped up the normal annual seasonal uptick in outdoor cookers.

Comment

I would at the very least get the Weber Kettle premium - it has the ash sweeps and ash catch pan like the master touch, but is $54 less. It doesn't have the lid holder, and is a little shorter. I had one of the basic kettles before I got my Performer, and ash cleanup was a pain - I basically would take the kettle out in the yard and turn it upside down to dump it, and invariably make a big mess. Or a leg would fall off, or both. It was one with the 3 separate vents on the bottom, like a WSM.
        Last edited by jfmorris; May 23, 2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          It was one with the 3 separate vents on the bottom, like a WSM.
          * Colloquially known as / referred to as a Three-Wheeler

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got an old three wheeler, I got a small hand-held whisk broom to clean out ash. Still makes a mess, but I don't have to dump it upside down.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep

Maybe some tomahawks. She is golden man. I prefer the lid holder and ash bucket as the sound of that old frisbee scraping on the metal legs is lime nails on a chalkboard to me. Hate it! Love the upgrades. Just an overall nicer experience when I’m lazy.

Also it feels like the kettle is stronger or built better. Perhaps that’s just me.

either way she’s a winner with you as a father and all that gear!

Comment

Happy birthday to your daughter, I'm sure she'll have some great cooks!!!

Comment

Well, everything has arrived and it’s time to wrap it so we can try to fake her out
            • Weber Kettle Premium
            • Weber cover (this is the Pacific Northwest)
            • SnS Deluxe
            • SnS Griddle/Drip pan
            • Maverick ET-732 (my old one, all cleaned up)
            • BBQ lighter
            • Ash rake
            • Charcoal chimney
            • 20 fire starters

Name:	36D64DA1-186E-448D-99FA-89510F318DCF.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	862137

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like yer all set up, I'm thinkin somebody is gonna have a purty sweet birthday...
              Onliest thing I can think of, to sweeten th pot, is add a AP rub, an a sauce, mebbe?

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Gonna make her make her own sauces and rubs!

It's great when our kids take a real interest in our hobbies. Both of mine love the food I cook, but haven't gotten the urge to want to learn how to do it themselves. My son says that when he's an adult and I'm an old man, he'll still just ask me to smoke him some ribs.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              it’s pretty cool and I’m glad to see her wanting to learn this craft

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here