Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done with gas, looking to get an everyday grill...seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with gas, looking to get an everyday grill...seeking advice

Hi,
    Just a little background. For years I've had gas grills, and I always thought that I wanted to stay with gas because I never felt like I had the time to pre-plan an evenings meal well enough to "warm up" a charcoal grill, given our work schedule, etc. My wife and I retired a few years ago and about three years ago I got a BGE. I've done some smoking on the egg, and lately my last gas grill has gotten so rusty that I starting regular grilling on the egg.

Whoa...steaks taste so much better on charcoal, chicken is awesome, and I'm always adding a chunk of wood in with the charcoal which really is giving my grilling a nice flavor boost. And I feel like my grilling technique is getting better with charcoal. Point I am making is that I think I'm done with gas grills.

I've been using Kamado Joe Big Block charcoal, I seem to like that better than the BGE or other charcoal I've tried. Problem is is that I seem to be going through it quickly, and it's not really that cheap. I was thinking that it might be economically a good idea to consider getting a regular charcoal briquet grill, like the Weber 22, but really I don't have enough experience in this to know if that is true.

So I am wondering if this all seems silly or ridiculous, would I actually see a reduction in charcoal use going to a smaller grill? Is it realistic to add a lump of wood to a grill like this? Would I be experiencing the same improved flavors with charcoal briquets? Would it be worth looking into pellet grills? Sorry if I'm all over the map here, but making the move from gas in regular grilling does open a lot of options, and lots to consider.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate whatever advice you might have for me. Btw, just got home from the Orlando FL Costco, where I was able to score a nice 13.5lbs prime brisket. I love our BGE!
    Last edited by Kennymac; May 13, 2020, 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh yes, get the 22”, mebbe even the SnS. More is always better. Each cooker always has at least a specialty.
    To quote a blacksmith I read about: "you should have more than one anvil because they serve different needs, plus, why have just one!"
    Last edited by FireMan; May 13, 2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Kennymac, while a good charcoal grill such as a Weber kettle or a PK Grill would be nice, nothing is keeping you from using briquettes in your Kamado Joe. And there is certainly cheaper lump - I really really like B&B lump, at $12.99 per 20 pound bag at Academy, if if you have one of those local.

People tend to use lump in kamados because lump does have somewhat less ash than many briquettes. Due to the trouble refueling a kamado during a cook, for long low and slow cooks, people use lump in them mostly due to the ash issue. However, briquettes work just as well in a kamado as they do on a Weber kettle or other charcoal grill. If you really do want another grill just for kicks, I truly love my Weber Performer Deluxe, which has propane ignition of the charcoal, a large food prep table, and convenient charcoal storage. The PK original and PK 360 grills look nice too. They don't have the super easy ash cleanup mechanism of the Weber kettles though, where you simply work a level a few times, and all the ash is now in a metal bucket you can easily empty.

My experience is that there are good hardwood briquettes that don't produce the same level of ash as others such as Kingsford. Right now my favorites are Weber and B&B.

EDIT: Another reason to go with a Weber 22" kettle is the insane number of add ons available. Rotisseries, the SNS, Santa Maria grilling contraptions, and so on.
      Last edited by jfmorris; May 13, 2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        BGE recommends lump

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pk360 does have a plug in the bottom, so remove that and a paintbrush can push all the ash out into a bucket or whatever below. Easier than the original by far, but not as easy as a kettle with the sweepers.

It depends how you'd use the grill vs the BGE. If you think you want to smoke on it or you want a good amount of grill space a 22 or 26" Weber style grill would be great. If you want something small that works for a quick 'lets grill some steaks' night for just you and the wife, a Smokey Joe or similar small grill would work fine. The plus to the small grill is that it takes less charcoal and the food sits closer to the coals, so it's easier to get good sears etc. Downside? it's smaller. You're not grilling, say, 6 steaks on one and while you can smoke tings on them... those things need to be small.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Howdy, my name is Mr. Bones, an I Approve This Message...

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Smokey Joe with GrillGrates is perfect charcoal cooking for two.

I have a BGE and. MiniMax, but am finding it is easier to grill and entire meal for my wife and me on a Weber 18” Jumbo Joe. I have a Vortex and a SlowNSear which adds some versatility. I still do low and slow on the BGE and for larger cooks, and some stuff on the MiniMax.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 23, 2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Since you have the BGE and it is an outstanding smoking smoking machine, especially with a Fire Board and fan I would go with a well known grilling machine in one of the Webers. The One Touch or one of the 3 with a table on it would be fine. Performer, Performer Deluxe which has the lighting feature and Performer Premium,

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like there is a lot of consensus here in getting a smaller grill. Sure, I could probably use good hardwood briquets in the BGE, but that's a different machine and a lot of machine for a simple 10 wing grilling or a steak or two.

Think I'm planning to get a weber 22, something simple without table or any other features as I have a fairly nice grilling area already. This and some good hardwood briquets ought to be a nice small format grilling situation for every day.

Thanks again for your replies, I knew I'd get some good advice here!

Comment

Just ordered the Master 22 weber, $219 at lowes and with my military discount I was under $225 with the chimney starter. Looks like I have 2 Webers in my life now!

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Good move
            fire it up and ur on a fun journey

Comment

I have had my BGE for 10 years. 4 years ago I got a Weber Performer. I use the Weber about 95% of the time.

I also have a Weber Smokey Joe that I haven’t used since I got the Slow and Sear. The S&S divides the 22 into a smaller size that is perfect for two people. Most cooks use half a chimney or less of briquettes.

The BGE is far better for long cooks. The Weber excels at grilling. It’s a great combo.

Comment

If just grilling for two, you can use the chimney with a small grate to cook two burgers, two pieces of chicken, two hotdogs or whatever. That will save a ton of charcoal.

Comment

Yup, yer right, up front. Simple science, an math provides a smaller volume requires less BTU's to heat/maintain. Nice fer quick weekday cooks, runnin some sides, whatever have ya!!!
                  I have a few Webers, so if ya have any questions, feel free to gimme a holler...

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "A few"? I'd say you have "many"!

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mosca Fair Enuff lol!

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bonsey, you are redefining the word "few" lol

Got here late but you went the way I would of recommended. Enjoy!

Comment

I sold my Weber 22" now I'm kicking myself....

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your story of why still breaks my heart.

Got here late, too ... but a Weber 22 is a great choice. To make it a really versatile grill (and even more charcoal economical) I would recommend adding a Slow n Sear :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here