Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you burn a 'refill' chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you burn a 'refill' chimney?

Silly question after seeing a discussion elsewhere about exploding, deformed, and/or stained concrete under charcoal chimneys: where do you light a refill chimney if your charcoal grill is already burning?

In my past cooking, I've never really noticed the need for this, but recently I've been wanting to light a half chimney or so for quicker and hotter reverse searing on the WSCG. I've never wanted to risk damaging the patio and have the Performer in the garage and all cleaned up to sell. I'm afraid the burning chimney would probably melt my handle light on the gasser and mess up the grates or warp the drip tray on the SmokePro. So, I am trying to find a good place to do it. I really don't need another grill, but a Jumbo or Smokey Joe is what I keep thinking of.

I light my chimney on a 12" patio paver I got for a few bucks at Lowe's. Just have it down in my grass. No issues more than a year later.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, what he who types faster than me said!

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the paver. No problems so far.

I have never had to re-light a chimney, but I light mine on the grill. If you don't have room to re-light and don't want to set it on the patio, a concrete block would do the trick.

Comment

I use a concrete cinder block to light my extras. The chimney fits pretty well right over the hole in it. Or I just use one of the other grills.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, just an old concrete block that's been hanging around the yard forever.

Or you could use a Refill Chimney Burner Device.

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        or popiels "you can even hang it on your belt!"

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe we ought to have a poll. 🕶

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        "But wait, there's more!!!!"

I place mine on the Jumbo Joe or Smokey Joe. Usually the Jumbo Joe because it is easier to carry from the garage to the deck with the handle thingy.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. On my Smokey Joe. That’s also where it goes to cool down

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        +2

on the hood of my ex wife's car... In absence of that, on the grates of one of my other smokers or grills.

Comment

I light my chimney on my patio. It's concrete, and I have zero issues with staining, discoloring or explosions.

I use crumpled up newspaper to light it. Maybe other fuel sources would change the concrete.

I do know there is a lot of variation in concrete though, so I can't say that some other concrete patio might not be as hardy as mine.

😁

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I think there might be several factors at play like how exposed the patio is, how much moisture is in it, ambient temperature, etc. I don't think it's super common to happen, but I'd rather not damage a patio when a $2 paver or even a portable grill would probably prevent it.

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely agree a paver is the way to go instead of damaging a whole slab; I'll fully admit I never gave much thought to lighting a chimney and potentially causing damage. Probably with my next home I'll go the paver route to be safe 😎

I use two red bricks I have in the garage just for that purpose.

Comment

I do them on these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	717651002214.jpg?size=xl.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	800309

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You can fire up 2 on them if you need to.

I light mine on two large paver stones on the ground; however, if it is windy (the lighter cube has blown out or I can get it lit several times), I'll uncover my other grill and light it in there for wind protection.

Comment

I let my Camp Chef dutch oven table do double duty as my chimney lighting station.

Comment

12x12 paver for me but it's starting to crack.

Comment

On one of my other grills

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't like the soot, etc on my nice clean grate. And when I used paper I hated the ash.

I use a little, cheap table top grill that you pick up for a few bucks. I think it even came with charcoal many years ago. It’s just a little larger than the chimney and lift the heat off any surfaces

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here