Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing Grill Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    How about something like the Lodge Sportsman, which is a cast iron hibachi? Certainly not as cheap as a Weber Jumbo Joe, but the friend who sold me my Weber Performer Deluxe has one and likes it when he is just doing a couple of steaks.

That said, a lot of your searing will be from screaming hot cast iron grates, and you would have "grill marks", whereas the thin wire grate on something like the Jumbo Joe will make most of your browning be from radiant heat.
    Yeah the Lodge Sportsman's Grilli is also a good option. I love that grill. I use it much more for portable trips. Much better for that than the KJ Jr. And it is a searing machine. Especially when running B&B Lump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6463.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	794646

Comment

I know this will not sit well with some, but I love our searing station on our Napoleon gasser. Its ceramic inferred and get to aprox 1200 in just about 3 minutes.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing wrong with that recommendation!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Works for me! I actually made some phenomenal reverse seared steaks just last week... and I did it all on my Genesis II, using Grillgrates. The original question was about charcoal grills for searing though, so that is why the discussion has been in that direction.

I want to see a Lodge in person to get a feel for size and capacity.

I like the Mini Max the grate is closer to the coals and it looks like it could be great at searing.

On the high end of the scale the M Grills M16 looks amazing.

I may just try a reduction ring in the Summit since a new grill has not been approved by management and I am still hearing about the WSCG purchase lol.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I would love a Slow and Sear but they don't fit. You need the Low Profile version which was discontinued. I have a Vortex and they are too tall as well when the grate is at the high level. The retention ring is 13 inches, about the same size as a Mini Max or KJ JR.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like the retention ring with the charcoal grate at the high level is the way to go then - just work out how much of a chimney it takes to fill the ring to the top, and that gives you a sear zone about as big as a jumbo Joe or other small grill. Remember that for SEARING, you don't really care about building up heat at the grate level, but are relying on radiant heat on the side facing down.
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 23, 2020, 08:37 AM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think that ring would let you do charcoal reverse seared steaks the way I do with my SnS on my Performer. Start indirect, outside the ring, near the edge of the grill with the lid on. Then remove lid and start searing in the middle once the steaks get up to 115 or 120.

This thing looks really cool, I’ve seen some posts about this recently.

grilling experience made in the usa backyard tailgating camping tool

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        That thing is pretty awesome but I am looking for a small easy to use quick to heat up option. The Watchman looks like a beast and would be fun to run at camp when I was on vacation.

I have an Akorn Junior that is fantastic for searing. It is 13” in diameter and holds 4 NY strips easily. Got
      it for around $70. I can load it with lump or kingsford competition, and get a ripping hot fire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here