Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need your advice for new grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your advice for new grill

So, for the last six years I have relied on my Primo XL Oval to be my all-in grill and smoker. It’s great, no real complaints except one — when I grill, I like to grill at high heat and I find that I burn the felt gasket seals such that they need to be replaced every other year. I’m thinking that, once I replace the current set of badly dilapidated seals, I’m going to use the Primo exclusively for long, low-and-slow smoking. That means, damn, I have to buy a new device which will be dedicated primarily for grilling but could also serve as a backup for smoking in addition to the Primo and PBC (yeah, I know, I’m seeking help). The Kamado Joe looks enticing as I like the mesh seals which would take the higher grilling heat better. On the other hand, am I better off just a getting a cheaper Weber kettle to handle the basics. Or some other brand? Please say don’t buy both as I’m likely to do that. Thank you for your understanding and advice.

For high heat, direct grilling I have really been liking my PK Grill as of late. The coals are closer to the cooking grate than the Weber Kettle. I am a huge Weber fan so I am not knocking them by any means and they would be a great choice but the PK is one to look at too. I do most of my smoking and reverse searing on my Weber but for simple cooks like boneless chicken thighs, burgers, etc. I have been using my PK more and more.

Comment

Kettle + SNS/DNG. Or all of the above. Just trying to help...

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        JoeSousa , gotcha. I typically get 10+ hrs @230, burning KBB using the SnS and PartyQ, so I should still get a decent amount of time with this setup.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. Yeah, I would guess you would be looking at 7 or 8 hours? I have never tested it or really timed anything but it should be in that range if you are getting 10 on the 22. Lot's more space to heat up

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. I can get 8 hrs low and slow just using the intake and exhaust on the cooker to control temps.

I think if you don't want to worry about burning up gaskets when grilling over high heat, that a Weber Kettle or a PK Grill would both get the job done. I am partial to the Weber Kettles - I have a Performer Deluxe myself, and there are a lot of accessories available for it. It would double as a second smoker if you need more than you can fit on the Primo, but I think your idea of doing low and slow on one, and high heat grilling on the others, is solid.

Comment

Or SNS Grills, run by our own @ABCBBQ Dave makes a kamado that uses the SNS:

Shop the entire grills collection from SnS Grills; including the Slow 'N Sear® Kamado and the Slow 'N Sear® Kettle!
        Last edited by klflowers; November 20, 2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Have you considered running your Primo XL without a gasket? I've heard some people do this although I do not.

Personally, I use my Primo XL mostly for low and slow. For grilling, I use either my Weber 26, My weber Jumbo Joe, or my new Blaze gas grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	K53hm4Jkt4vc6jDZsszv8Xqr31u9Ex3B00_qLByE31Rg88qzHz8sk-ObzjReFQn5GqeujIQi4FhULjIIhkPQCYXJJA0UfOn1ZbaN4HIjRZhmbFlsb5qaHnHSup5ovAj334RK3THYaySXqD7qgehoXqWZSfmEnR9_6TL_u2-m9UtZb3ywmepLjjwleRY0JWMWP6O2Ez9W1pUTVXwERMGHrnV_bX3UqnVNYCOWD6l0kZ0ZAnAP8hMMxoqzzFXQcdF
Views:	358
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	771123

Name:	SiWIMwzOc-7vX0t4CzPdopm9HpsTGVDXN1joMNgpq9MTTOr7hqSlYO3vcEEdZ01T0W96UBL8T_Wxr9gz9o3C1OvFibNLU3TN3_L7iyAyzGBVbiT398Ojq8tSeSaLFu8tViFqOZB0v_22DjWM-vX82RwqRoWr09UcqbQyrStqx53dp2jtMoi3kiXy2Kzlk_7H4sFpydgSUaMhCHOkq5TikXhLbMjE-tAyzjLf8ViYGWep0n-97JNeZJaEX5T-4hH
Views:	310
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	771124

Name:	UlkQPqUyNTQpM4carNL8oNUVm8sCCrmzPQEvbc5eSpCH5KmuHvQFP0X7oKRCIBufwl8ExYI_GP1Os-oz0QTYjsA5rkH3z9YVkGAG9PyU_p4y1C1WcLQD2LXArsC0LAAUhrth64h3KFbp29vOfl-euPsIwygIYKbTQWzBkBQ_3vxYkoTlCDr1G8hrPZYgwv2V777MsWwiMklxZ0zYgffKiDZhiAhRj6obsL1qdFCPO9Nm1T9_-cY7iYRjohH6eWK
Views:	317
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	771125

Name:	vEMlz5086Wg2kDMxHT3RtaRqZvANsyz9N4Z2v1JqZTGQo-qwuIJ_zmq9jjc6hEn6Dgal04O2JCJfXUnyt3bsiSL6HGpK-xuVmMUCxl8xH9XuNbg_sgehXIfx1UbxtwF96c-yvzy4FSlnvBNP6kq1gNtygdNTjlYZXuh3_S8WlOykaQ_1qVdytCoiqqi_lttsBSmsXlh05s9U38PHo8PMmveiZ5jvs8plP0SNRnUh0DZlBJCbpxgniUw5yBSPomL
Views:	334
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	771126

Name:	6V4PWMTE4ZFPHNe2p-Za8NomV3QspgLKn8Hfi0F5DeDqrItl5OnzG-4hagpWEWALF9_xlNJWGYKmEMtjTZ9ifWkqkp_oaUrD-E8mjtHKTEfw1IhQnybi2aFU4KU_uYkeKbihCs7vzheJTK0DIWBplxGw1IR71JtDS_8F4zWlPQvQQGEUsYwk46q_BKbYB3hfo0h47E_NLCqCc30LrIO0s8U1YiMB__-hKcLsQT25-lDa6D7PzHy4bk6d1kyE-IC
Views:	322
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	771127

Name:	eJzvwFKM_bnetausxfYioZI5C1-t8qF0mtGXhq3YyG4nTP_onlHoG8lBWCk33I8HFYoVwSZUAFXnxC_TwcAPElF8vUSg9TQb7yv5OlUYprG7tomRPT2Mqo2uADEtssLibjUCnmZDnl9JbuoBlKbkoApp0edtBww_ytFMut8oJ0J6N9SK_gLCpfGl55Avm7EOuG1d9qgDCYl4ZGycETX-6QxUF_JI_DuYZxoV86UXsHvQJq--SEvzj78LoqJYlrm
Views:	337
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	771128

Name:	yl1sKQCZKS-uPUZIwAXKpqpXE3p8WiTEL_XelCyTlYKWxEmBLd4StWC2AusOU4Ned8TgR_51qstxQLbKpNS3RYcxxkGUKJGBYxn1jSlI_cn9Mc3RdX_MZCHjCVDKGOIzgt4Wnt8Y2NQdOVdfaV58r9AG6O3VK2n62vjuC1gacOL8ryVJguAjsntrNPFcB9pcouEYYOau-hOXo6E80flyhBTzhFYOWMX49dfyoCkcSONS-hp3pYnXcoUFPS50GI-
Views:	344
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	771129

Name:	ThtDQvydSQ0VTyWVksKhwicy9y_Cu5CVyt6yLZjvhF-O2o4PLoa9dcDKEdEEDDtsqz-l8rXkctxpVvAPgHx8y-ynQeKopdKsycB7h4jrogJdNAI3grhRk61Tmn1MNHEcFB9wXehVDjEoKCoqsyEYn2TQ0d1X38dwDuRzbiNPFsfSytQEiXUKroUufkdGcjAAeV-9HA1V7WtObPhJ-ewijtixCqsQ_H5aJEW3_JdtidgiGn82LYhlXw9wZOQMhY7
Views:	345
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	771130

Name:	It0lg9zHcwktLLPp4CjsxKpEF0X64oErxOaDhBHIoPgTqH4HMysGREGHaeFsPS4gfgX3y0jU83lzB-1S-FHkG9VSRacy79JHKyXsSSWKT8unrH8kG5W8dJZlC-JpcX-GOHLv7y3zYo8_kkG7BGzbGv2fUg7Pkb6TaGqQwCqFjRwV6E3ZuL2OKcN_25NkkBdAisT4KJ82ZDqF4--NryMf92od8J8t6onXgiVq63yZJqfKT-BSaIRFebMOFMY07f1
Views:	335
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	771131

Last edited by Attjack; November 20, 2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack gotta love that Blaze. I haven't used the rotisserie and IR burner on mine yet. That pic makes me want to. How hot do you set the temp control knob and about how long does it take to cook a yardbird?

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Hulagn1971 I love the rotisserie on that thing. I've been doing the IR burner at full blast and the two side burners on low. My chickens have been cooking in just under an hour.

Weber Summit - No felt, coal grate can be in a low or a high position give you better high heat (closer to coals) than a regular kettle.. 24 inches gives you lots of space.
          PK360 - Really good at high heat direct grilling, superb two zone for reverse sear. Excellent low and slow. Issue is limited real-estate.

Have you tried the high heat Nomex gaskets?

High Temperature Nomex® Felt Replacement Gasket - This Meta-Aramid (Nomex®) felt with adhesive peel and stick backing replaces the wool or polyester felt gasket on your Primo Grill.

Shop best prices and most useful kamado accessories. ✔️Awesome package deals Big Green EGG & Primo Oval grills. ✔️Retail store Dallas, Fort Worth - Denton TX.

Nomex® is designed for high temperature applications and outperforms wool and polyester felt when properly installed and maintained. Complete instructions on how to apply the Nomex gasket to your Primo Grill are included in the package. Time wise, it is about a two beer project!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Love mine for all of the above reasons.

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for directing me to this. I might have to give this a shot. My experience with Nomex is that we use to wear this in my M1A1 tank unit. They told us it was very heat resistant. Glad I never got to test it.

There is a lot of stuff out there which needs a considering. But, for the money, you cannot go wrong with the Weber kettle, cannot in any way form or matter.

Comment

I'm running a Primo LG and a Weber kettle. The Primo gets a lot of use with low and slow and mid-temp cooks and occasionally a high temp pizza or steak sear. The Weber handles everything else--the burgers, dogs, wings with the vortex etc. I feel like the two cookers really have most the bases covered. So I'm voting kettle.

Comment

I would also consider the SNS Grill. Very impressive.

Comment

As a KJ owner, don’t get a KJ for just high heat. I love my KJ, but others are cheaper and do a fine job of high heat.

Comment

I can't say enough about the PK360, that thing is a beast for all cooking types. I recently purchased the KickAsh basket for mine and can't stop cooking on it. Perfect 2-zone cooking, coals are closer to grates and if you get the little more grate, you've upped your game even more. Precision temp control can be had too.

The kettle/SnS set up is a great option too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here