Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Charcoal or Weber Performer Deluxe (w Slow n Sear) AND WSMS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Charcoal or Weber Performer Deluxe (w Slow n Sear) AND WSMS??

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help deciding what to get to upgrade my "tools". I am a newbie and been cooking on a Weber classic 18" kettle. Have experimented a lot to get a successful low and slow at 225 (silicone on the lid, variations of techniques, have a slow n sear, etc ...) Well its gone ok and I know there is a learning curve with everything, the kettle is getting dated and its time to update

As many of these decisions are ... it depends ... here is some stuff about my needs:

-cook for my wife and I only, sometimes another couple or 2 so capacity is not a huge concern
    -not really wanting to get into ceramic kamado because my driveway is gravel and don't have a nice flat cooking area (yes I know another opportunity for a project) so rolling the beast around and fearing it tipping over is not something I want
    - I am a newbie so want flexibility with what I can cook as the biggest driver for this decision. I ultimately want to try every recipe on this site
    - I have a decent budget to work with so my options below I can afford, but saving a few bucks for other toys is always an advantage
    - I live in the Pacific Northwest and want to cook year round, it doesn't get below 0 too much so I would say if its in the 20 degree F area worst case that would be a good low outside temp to still be able to do a cook
    - I cook with digital temperature probes and fast read thermometers of course

OPTION 1: The Weber Summit Charcoal
    It seems this grill can do everything ... no one seems to be writing about modifications so to me this is good out of the box. I am reading there is a learning curve but that's fine. Without the table this is priced about $1500 without cover and maybe some other gadgets I need.

OPTION 2: Weber Performer Deluxe (with slow n sear) AND a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" Smoker
    These 2 options together seem like they can do it all also. Reviews are great but seems there are some mods required to really get a good low and slow (lid gaskets and such ...) Combined Price for these about $750. So thats a big price difference between these 2 options

So the big question: Does the Weber Summit Charcoal have more cooking flexibility than the combo Performer and WSMS? Which way would you go given the price difference?

One other question: Is the Weber Summit Charcoal more preferred for cooking in cold temperatures like 20 degrees F?

Sorry for multiple questions in a single post, appreciate all your feedback in advance!

Eric

Weber 26” with SNS

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this.

• Boatner
      Boatner commented
      Editing a comment
      I just figured out my 26" Weber Kettle and SNS... I finally figured out how to stop chasing the temperature. I put aluminum foil on the charcoal grate covering the area so the air is forced (or most of it anyway ) to go through the bottom of the SNS. I was finally able to control my temp with both the bottom vent and top. I'm far from pitmaster but my family thinks I'm tops... and that's all that matters.

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like this setup (26” kettle with standard SnS) personally. Whenever I have an MCS attack I just think about how great this setup is for the $500 or so Investment I’ve made in it, and I just stand down. With the space and versatility, I’ve been able to do just anything I’ve tried and do it well.

I also second the idea of covering the "open" portion of the charcoal grate when using the SnS. I got a pizza pan off amazon and cut it down. Works very well and helps to dial in temps.

I'm prejudiced, but I think you can't go wrong with a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It has a 24" grate, not all that much smaller than a 26" kettle plus you can use the whole grate if you cook in Kamado mode and a portion of the grate with less charcoal if you cook with the SnS/DnG. Adrenaline BBQ no longer makes the SnS for the WSCG, but perhaps you can speak with Dave about an option, (like getting his charcoal basket and using a water pan, maybe, or using the snake method for your charcoal in kettle mode. You could also try to find a WSCG-compatible SnS second-handed.

If you need convincing about the WSCG, watch this video:

Also, with its double-walled design, it holds the heat rock steady, even in winter, albeit the winters where I live are relatively mild--plenty of days in the 20s and 30s.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My response to that is an old Leftie Frizzell song;

If you've got the money, I've got the time
      We'll go honky tonkin' and we'll have a time
      We'll make all the night spots, dance, drink beer and wine
      If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time…

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman, nice themesong for my Mr. Fancypants, aka WSCGC. It's worth every penny.

K.

I dont think you go wrong with either decision. an immediate benefit to the performer/WSM combo is you have two cookers to keep different cooks going at once at different temps.

But the WSCG is a beast.

Your comment on cold cooking is a feather in the cap for the summit. the insulation layer makes winter temp control quite easy.

Comment

WSCG then get a Pit Barrel Cooker

Comment

I have an 18" wsm and a 22" master touch/sns, and while I have some serious mcs issues, I am able to cook anything with that combo.

Comment

I’m prejudiced as well, because I want my next grill to be a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. I have a 26 with SnS, but I REALLY want a Summit.
          On the one side, you would have to learn 2 cookers. On the other, you only have to learn one.

Comment

• Boatner
            Boatner commented
            Editing a comment
            Holy cow, Thunder77! I'd have to re-mortgage my house to get one of those!!!! I'm settling down with my 26" and SNS too. I found if you put aluminum foil on the grate in front of the SNS, forcing air to go through the bottom of the SNS, I can control ambient temp easier. But... I'm just a noob... I suppose I should've put the phrase: "With all due respect" in front; consider it done.

Both options are solid choices. I’m biased, the WSCGC has been wonderful to cook on. It does it all really well, granted it doesn’t get terribly cold here in the south, but it does well in colder temps. The analogy a salesman gave me was coffee in a yeti cup vs a ceramic mug, the yeti holds heat better. Thus the yeti insulating benefits. Good luck

Comment

If you have the cash, I think the WSCG is great. And... several here have found it brand new on eBay for under $1000 for the model without a table, and I found one for $1599 with the table on there just now.

That said, I personally like the idea of two cookers. There are times you might want to smoke something that takes hours or all day, and also grill something else. I find myself doing that a lot.

My very favorite cooker right now is my Weber Performer Deluxe, which I have outfitted with a Slow 'N Sear, Easy Spin grate, and Drip 'N Griddle. I also have a full set of Grillgrates. The Grillgrates allow me to cook things like burgers and chicken without worrying about a 2 zone setup, when I need more capacity. I cannot stress how great the table is for food prep and having a place to put your pans and spatulas while cooking. The propane ignition to light your charcoal is a great convenience, as is the charcoal storage bin. I live in Alabama where its hot and humid a LOT, and have never had any issues with wet or damp charcoal. I also have a PartyQ for when I want automated temperature control, and a Hovergrill to expand capacity with a second cooking level.

Personally, if it were me, I would go for a Performer, pimp it out with all the goodies - and get a 22" WSM for those times you want to smoke big hunks of meat that won't fit on the Performer with the SNS. You can get ALL the toys, and still come in less than even a discounted Summit charcoal grill..... and I think you will find there are times you want two cookers - a grill AND a smoker - if you continue long in this hobby.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              ScottyC13 glad I was able to help. You will like the Performer a lot - there are so many accessories for 22" kettles that you can cook about any way you want on it. Which Performer did you end up with? While I love the Deluxe (gas ignition!), I see a lot more sales and clearances on the Premium, at least around here.

• ScottyC13
              ScottyC13 commented
              Editing a comment
              I got the Deluxe from a local guy for $300. He got it as a gift but wanted something else. It is assembled but never used!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              ScottyC13 you got a great deal! Enjoy!

All, thanks so much for all of your advise and knowledge so far, thought this was all leaning towards the WSCG until jfmorris post, that got me back to rethinking the 2 cooker option and all the accessories .... still undecided at this point, and happy to know ebay is a place to watch for good deals. Again thanks so far for everyone's feedback, really appreciate all of you!

Comment

I use a Weber 26” kettle with a SnS and a PBC. This is an awesome combination IMO and it saves you some money so you can buy more protein. I think everyone has to have more than one cooker...ha

Comment

• beeger
                beeger commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the same setup & have no complaints. All the versatility I would ever want.

• JeffJ
                JeffJ commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the same set up on my patio plus an OKJ. Have the gasser, Jumbo Joe and 14.5" WSM in the garage. Just took the Joe and WSM camping last weekend.

Had a 22" Weber Original Premium with SNS and really liked it. I came across a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill at a closeout price of $749. After much encouragement from users on this site, (let me tell you the pressure was intense!) I went for the WSCG. No regrets. It is my go to smoker/griller and I prefer it over the 22" Weber/SNS, PBC, or the Summit Gasser which I also own. Didn't see that coming.

You might also take a look at the Adrenaline Barbecue Slow "N Sear Deluxe Kamado. They have it on sale for $1,274 (includes shipping) which puts it at a price point below the WSCG.
              Last edited by bep35; August 14, 2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• eschmid2
                eschmid2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there, thanks for the feedback ! Do you mind me asking where and how did you find the Summit at a close out price like that? Thanks, Eric

• bep35
                bep35 commented
                Editing a comment
                It had sat in a local hardware store for over two years. I kept my eyes on it but was never willing to make a move at list price. One day it had a clearance tag on it and the price was $799. I talked them down to $749. I think the local folks didn't see the value in a grill that was three times the price of the other Weber's that were sitting beside it. They just didn't know it was a great deal.

I don't have advice for you, but I'm excited for your new cooker/cookers. Enjoy!

Comment

A Performer Deluxe owner and a 18" WSM owner here. The only add-on I have is a Thermoworks Signals with the fan, and the GrillGrates.

The Signals is the best money you can spend, takes all the guess work out of the WSM. You definitely want that day 1. There are other very good options out there for controllers, I personally like the display on the Signals. I think you get more information without having to look at an app or push buttons to cycle through things if you're right there. With the fan controller it literally becomes a pellet popper but with better smoke.

Here in the summer I'm able to run the WSM overnight for 12 hours at 225 and still have briquettes going in the morning. Extremely versatile. The Pit Barrel is nice, but you can get a rib hanger for the WSM and hang stuff if you want. Personally I don't see the advantage of hanging meat and the risk of it falling off. Never have to worry about that with the WSM, and you can take the water bowl out to accomplish the same "style" of open cooking. Can you tell I love the WSM?

I'm using the GrillGrates less and less. They are nice to have, but not something you need on day one. I say keep your eyes open when they have a scratch and dent sale, then jump on them.

I want the WSCG, but the combo you mentioned is a much better setup. You get considerably more space to cook on, and you can have multiple things going at once. Some day I will get a WSCG, but I think if anything I would sell the WPD before the WSM.

The only thing I would recommend different would be to get the 22" WSM. It comes in handy for things like jerky. The 18 is nice but I found a little bigger is better.

The other thing I would recommend, become friends with your local Weber dealer. Where I live we have a family owned store and they do a great job of competing against the big box stores if you know what I mean.

Comment

• eschmid2
                  eschmid2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Razor, good points and thanks very much for the suggestions!

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also think the WSM 22 is the way to go - it has the capacity for smoking ribs without cutting them in half, or rolling into a circle.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I agree with the 22" WSM. Add the gateway rib rack and diffuser plate and now you also have a PBC.

I have been using the performer since 2008 and the WSM 22 1/2" since 2010. I recently added the SNS.
                I use the WSM for big cooks for my American Legion Post and large family gatherings. The Performer
                with the SNS is perfect for the purposes you require. I used it last night for a tri tip. Perfect and I love
                the easy clean-up. Good luck.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here