Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soak or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodson
    replied
    Soaking is a waste of time. You see it everywhere because there are more amateurs than real masters of the craft. They market the process so they can sell wood chips, which are essentially scrap.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Yes that link tells why not to soak. I don't even soak chips any more.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    No need to soak the chunks. MBMorgan posted a link, give that a read to tell you why you don't need too.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    I used to soak, then I came here.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks MBMorgan That's what I thought but everyplace else says soak. I'll follow the experts here.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Here's some light reading that explains why most people around here will say "no" to the wood soaking question" https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...our-wood-first

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    Pointless. The wood will only do it's trick once the moisture has dissapated so makes no sense. The only effect it will have is to make the chunks take longer to get up to temp won't make them burn longer.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    started a topic Soak or not?

Soak or not?

Going to be cooking some Wagu tri tip this weekend on my Klose grill. I will be using Fogo lump with some mesquite chunks. I used this combo to grill some burgers a few days ago and the wood seemed to burn up very quickly. I did not soak the chunks. Should I soak them? Just learning so bear with me please.
    Will try and remember to get some pictures of the cook but I'm learning that things happen pretty quick on this grill. Not slow like the Yoder.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here