Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next build conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that’s a pretty unanimous vote, the HHB it is!

Comment

Who cares about the actual build. Just make sure and post videos of the actual welds, preferably 0.035 Flux Core, horizontal and vertical, fillet, butt, you name it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik right on

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard Where did you learn all those welding terms? I was a AWS certified welding inspector for years. Those are terms we used.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Oak Smoke no where in particular. I'm around welds plenty at work, mostly TIG (something I'll never attempt).

I was going to vote for the hot box as well - looks like that is the way you are going.

If I were tackling this, I think I would ensure I did a couple of things:

1. Put in a way to insert an optional deflector plate or baffle, so that you can do more conventional smoking for the times you don't want juices dripping on the coals. A drip/water pan on top of the deflector would take care of catching the mess when cooking with the deflector in place. I would size things so that commonly available foil pan sizes could double as your water/drip pan in this mode.

2. Think about a way to access the charcoal pan for refueling purposes. Maybe a door in the bottom that you can open to slide out the pan.

I think too with this type of cooker, being able to control air-flow will be key. I.e. you don't want the free flow design you have on your offset smokers, but want the ability to open and close an upper and lower damper to control the temperature, and shut it down at the end of the cook.
      Last edited by jfmorris; June 15, 2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik not sure what the Channels and Pitmaster Club links were about, but I do look forward to seeing what you do here...

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha! I was typing in hash followed by 1 and 2, but it seems vBulletin interpreted it as anchor links, LoL!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik that makes sense now! I thought one of us, or both, were going crazy or something, for a bit there. I am really going to watch what you do here. My son in law has an electric welder in storage, and both he and my dad know their way around welding stuff up...

How ‘bout both of them,,,,
      check out the Engelbrecht Braten,,,,,,1000
      darn sweet design,,,,
      parilla and hot box,,,,
      there is a review on this website too,,,,
      Last edited by Greygoose; June 15, 2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Above my Pit grade…..subscribed 😁

Comment

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too!! 😁

We’ve talked about my personal which has been put on hold due to Covid and an open hernia repair. I WILL BUILD IT THOUGH. I think I’ve got about two days of labor left on it(12-16hrs) due to mock ups and figuring things out. I vote for Hanks Hot Box. I have a love hate relationship with my Gateway Drum, but it has that same dripping effect and it will cook the best chicken and ribs I’ve ever cooked! I need more practice with big fatty cuts on it. I just haven’t nailed a butt or brisket on it yet…

Comment

If ur goin dedicated Hot Box, check out Chuds BBQ,,,,
          he makes 3 different size Chud Boxes,,,,
          U can get some great ideas from his video he does showing how he builds the Chud Box

Comment

A day late & a dollar short or a Euro short & odd man out. I would go with the parilla. Since I’m the weirdo I will not elaborate.

Comment

I like option Pitmaster Club

I have looked at the 30 inch rig from Titan...have fun

​​ (titangreatoutdoors.com)

Comment

So, decided to actually make a drawing of sorts that I can share. It's gonna be a pretty simple build with a "box" on legs. I will use the same swivel casters I use on my regular offset smokers.

I will use 5 mm steel. Instead of using a flat roof I will bend it so it looks a bit like a house. Just to get water and dirt to run off.
                I plan on cutting two doors instead of one, so I can open just one or both. The bottom one is the main "refill charcoal" hatch, and if I open both I can slide racks in and out. I want the front to be able to swing open fully so I have access to the grates and can slide it in and out just like in the indoors oven or like you do with racks in an offset.

I'll keep you guys updated as I think of more things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanks Hot Box.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1238712

Comment

I'll go with the "hot box" just for the comedy possibilities. Nobody will know if they are coming over for BBQ or to get baked in your "green room"!

Comment

I would vote for either, but I love a good #2... Either way, if it doesn't work out, just ship it to me and I will make do with it...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here