Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busy day with the hardware today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy day with the hardware today

I got caught up on a couple projects today! The first thing I did, I addressed the underbite on the Big Green Egg. This had been vexing me for quite some time. I've had my egg for about 11 years, and it has the old hinge. Over time, the springs pull the upper half backward, and the only way to fix it is by loosening four bolts and moving the top forward. The problem is, then you tighten the bolts and you can't open the lid! I sent an email to customer service at BGE, and their answer is "The old hinge usually lasts 8 to 10 years, so you did pretty good. The best solution is to get the new style hinge."

Okay.

Ace Hardware has them in stock. $160. This was pretty simple: follow the instructions, and don't go past hand tight on anything until everything is in place. Underbite solved. Plus, the new hinge just feels better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220524_163121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1225919

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220524_163112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1225920

Next up, since I'm already motivated: install the port for the BBQGuru, the probe grommet, and the gasket on the Weber kettle!

Again, this was ridiculously easy. If you know how to operate a drill, and you have the right tools, it takes maybe 15 minutes? And that's both the Guru port and the grommet port. Drill, smooth, install. Done. And really, it's not all that exact. You can measure, but you can just as easily think to yourself, "That looks about right," and you should be fine. As long as you don't install the Guru port where the arms sweep. Tip: sweep the arms first, and drill where they don't leave a mark.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220524_163137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	1225921

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220524_165203.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	1225923
    ​​​​​​

Installing the gasket on the lid of the Weber was a little bit of a pain in the neck. It took me about 20 minutes to clean it to the point where I was confident that the gasket would stick. But once that was done, again it was really simple. Just press the gasket on, and make sure that you aren't stretching it while you're installing it. There is enough material to do the top and the bottom, but I didn't see any point in doing more than just the top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220524_163147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1225922

That's it! That's how I killed this afternoon.
    Last edited by Mosca; May 25, 2022, 09:04 AM.

Nice work. Now it’s time to get back to smoking! 👍👌👏

Comment

Curious as to why you installed the gasket if you'll be running a fan?

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        With all vents closed, and no fan, it runs on the leak between the halves at about 240°. But then it becomes really touchy at other temps: it’s hard to dial in to 350°, 400°, etc. i figure the gasket controls a variable.

Those little things that help soo much! Great day!

Comment

Good job! At least you got these long awaited items off the list.

Comment

My BGE is 11 years old, and I installed the new hinge last year. The improved design helps prevent the lid from flying loose when opening.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Did your BGE develop an underbite over time, too? I probably let mine go with it for two or three seasons before I fixed it.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca I don’t remember the specific alignment issue. I just remember it was difficult to align with the old hinge, and it had stretched so much over the years I could no longer draw the bolt tight enough to feel safe.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here