Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawarma..vertical grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shawarma..vertical grill

Has any one cooked on a vertical rotisserie...
    my kids order this for me as i was not really satisfied with the TROMPO KING..I used it on my green egg..
    came out ok..but I always would have to finish it off on a cast iron pan...
    the booklet with this also claims I may have to do it in a cast iron pan..
    the deal on this one j need to manually turn the meat every 2 to 3 minutes...
    I can be very lazy and would like to be able to hook up a motorized rotisserie..some how..
    sure would appreciate all the input you all can offer..
    I am going to use lump charcoal..fogo or b&b...I did not whish for a electric or gas vertical cooker....
    thank you all
    Attached Files

Love all the meat tools in the background haha

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      MAE247 I think you mean the PIT tools in the background.
      And the moonshine Jugs too.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; September 27, 2021, 01:11 PM.

Not yet but I'm planning to try vertical roasting on my Blackstone Pizza Oven soon.

Comment

• grillinglousiana
      grillinglousiana commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see that working..darn shame they stoped making it again

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      grillinglousiana Yeah, it is a shame. I plan to remove the top and the upper pizza stone to make room. I'll post pics when I do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9B0F9B16-B22D-45F5-BF06-FEA1D9BA1AF7.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1101432 I have used a meat spike indirect on my BGE with decent results at 375, but not the real deal.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; September 27, 2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I've used a cheap skewer that I bent and a mini cast iron wok to do it on the kamado as well.

Name:	b5an9-HSIdmWHhaSlHzkP671zMSKThWMvGNKcyX8WdmRc6MzCSRvUGoBTTLQF-uXTJBni6EZ2stt0mMT6Fop3KZWqm9FTHNET2MZLCKCtYp7vFDi3H4-phd0pLDfWXj-5tDAJQsP3bWBTmy2aeKyzyTmnAX27L-egttgiSE7i--Kj5NRkrZPs8Ds6_yOoz7gAoa2DGOqqUGZqmsahsEUZ7zfsXtM864LSJvyXLNbKA7sEQYfWpWM_e84QkM0NSh
Views:	428
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1101444

Name:	aLJ2TG0eVb7JE4wYEx_Z9zCub5xyTmw0GxTEltdPGoOnV_JTi2l0ciHrb6IM69NXHTaPDhy0LxeHVeRQD8UKpa35ghn8Ublubj3K0eN7amJmBXSQYNIUJYf1Mq7zGP1a5c3aE4RGGBNoIhcvSQjvW_hLV81F5x7DyP_g5wrEq52_nNXfyceX1UGWoMFAcptccRVxDC_d0N4ASdiw5cjtj9o94Xff0ovx0NKYVosejO6g6F4SDAmGykz3v3YF-JY
Views:	430
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1101445

Name:	rCvNcv7b1DP2yHDAYuxtzRPQoYaYMZlBdUgE0OKZiQr8o9jq-nZPe3KMj9LqlQK4ReG7c_VrTMjZ19ZQNdaC36zhetmDUlvn6K722cknpRiTxV5NZMEZ4pDENXzGG25-igD2D1r8U45YQWRJ0XpMT8V0ID-7H58aA3yhU5YznzfDi6NTVZ4nWiyE4Ct3GJrmy6g0csaqPZzy7fNWddc-ntKY-ku_sGluhbIW4KftSGiNm3Ooq3JK1FQw7lHEeuz
Views:	433
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1101446

Name:	rTgcQis6DJXFQBGup_q-5e7L5pXljiDGG8MVFeZ5-klGIxMIeycW0sYHeW4xfaAB2tGW6ZzOoUNh6u1j1oSnvkxHkXl8xTq0JOlirg3vNjked0spWisDDX2uXLFk3QmUrsJFkvqiIh1TswyP-pU_JWqgjUGjgd0Hsr1n03u1ZIJsAMWXKxtm3afDedVLpTvH2eeSBmMOnDkymiQFv45OkMTjPeA73bV1mP7JUmBhbtP9NyUXRdOQYbHVdv24glt
Views:	431
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1101447

Comment

• grillinglousiana
        Editing a comment
        yep..thats much like what I do with the Trompo...
        I just hope to spin it and shave it off as it cooks..this deal will work for that, just have to keep turning manually...I guess I could let the guest rotate it

In my part of the woods "spit braai's" are very popular and most of them are home made.
      Almost all use a windscreen wiper motor coupled to a battery to drive the rotisserie shaft. One big gear on the motor and a smaller on on the shaft driven by a chain. The "spits" are big and made for grilling whole lamb and pigs so might be a bit overkill for what you looking at.
      What I can tell from the pic's is that the wheel at the top is the turning mechanism and is driving a gear on the shaft (just a guess). The handle could be replaced with a gear and turned by a chain attached to a motor. Like I said overkill for your need.

I'm sure some modification at the top allowing a Weber rotisserie motor to link to the shaft would work and a heat shield of course. It's difficult to say whst exactly is possible without physically seeing the stand.
      Might work out to be a pricey exercise.

Comment

• grillinglousiana
        Editing a comment
        you are correct about the wheel at top to turn it..
        I am thinking that I may make a couple rods to hold the split...I have thought about mounting the motor to the bottom of a shop cart and spinning that way..
        thru a drip pan...who knows...I am gonna try something

rain today so I bought a shop cart at Harbor freight..turned the top shelf upside down..my plan at this point is to mount a rotisserie under the shelf..drill through the shelf and have a motorized vertical cooker..I am cooking Tacos El Pastour this weekend ...folks have requested that been about a year ..last cook...just a lot of prep time..and I like to marinate the meat 2 days before at least...
      Attached Files

Comment

• grillinglousiana
        Editing a comment
        I got it up and running...much to my suprise is how fast it cooked..I used fogo black bag lump..the fire was over 900+..outside of meat on rotation was 300+....basically I was shaving meat regularly...I may try b&b charcoal on char logs next time...mainly because I always have 2 or pits running at same time...sides on one ..main dish on another

I'd find a way to hook a string to my beer glass and every time I lift it to take a sip it spins the rotisserie a little...

Comment

• grillinglousiana
        Editing a comment
        yep..that would do it

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        It's that kind of wisdom that makes one an Administrator.

Do you know how much they paid for that rig? Love to have one but can't justify a bunch of money for a couple of uses a year.

Comment

I will also mount a drip pan...something like this..
        yes the cooker was 199.00...the cart i picked up for 40.00...I get myself into more situations than I can get out from under..
        Attached Files

Comment

Name:	85890912-845F-4283-985D-D13CABCAA400.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1102119 Click image for larger version

Name:	BF8E5B2A-B7A4-4634-9FE4-BA243F2F177F.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1102117 Click image for larger version

Name:	B1553F20-2351-45A3-BC0F-5F9A1AAB913A.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1102118 Looks like a cool rig. The closest I have come to this is a vertical skewer with a meat stack done in my pellet smoker.

Comment

I found this YOOYIST Electric Vertical Broiler Shawarma Doner Kebab Gyro Grill Machine with Meat Catch Pan on AMAZON for $274.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Jfrosty27 I did Doner kebab last year with just a $40 spike. See link below. Turned out pretty good.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Nevermind. I see you have the same setup already.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeesh, that thing better have its own breaker. 2400 watt. O_o

I prefer the gas/electric combos…

Glen and Friends is a you tuber who made a video about how he made his is own vertical shawarma cooker from a beer keg with good results. It did not look that difficult to do. I like watching his videos and nothing seems too hard or complicated for him to try.

Comment

You might be interested in this old thread tor some tips for the recipe or actual cook.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...kebab-on-mb560
              Last edited by STEbbq; September 28, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

well I think I have it all mounted up..a lot of drilling..and curses...time to time...really looking forward to see how it turns out..
                I also picked up a 14 inch weber that was tossed after the storm..painted it..added 2 new charcoal grates.a flip up cooking grate...a lid gasket..vent handles..and a thermometer
                Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking mod Sir. All those 4 letter plus words will all be worth it when you dont have to get up and manually operate it. Looks really good. Happy days ahead.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here