Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Oklahoma Joe Blackjack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Oklahoma Joe Blackjack

I just saw this in a Home Depot sale email, on sale today for $249. Never saw it before, and its not listed on the Oklahoma Joe website:

It appears to be Oklahoma Joe's take on a 22" kettle, on a cart. Without seeing one in person, hard to say how well it seals, but based on how well folks like the Bronco, I am wondering if this will be of similar construction quality. Being a 21.5" cooking grate, I am thinking you could use all the standard Slow 'N Sear accessories with it as well.

CNN liked it *smirk* Or at least thought people would like it if they didn't mind cleaning the ash out more frequently...

Shares a couple design features with OJB... Looks like the same ash pan... definitely same handle and shelf, or very similar... and the signature wagon wheels (which are not a selling point, imho).
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; July 6, 2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Potkettleblack I won't put much stock in CNN reviews, haha.

Looking at the video on the Home Depot site, I do not like the ash pan that has to be lifted out to dump the ashes, versus the removable "bucket" style ash catch on the Weber and SNS kettles. The ash pan seems too shallow. I can fill up the bucket on my Performer Deluxe from ash from a long cook or two, and its so convenient to just detach and dump into a trash bag.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim, having both styles of ash pans/catchers, I can say I actually like Oklahoma Joe’s better. My OJ Bronco has the same type of pan as the above mentioned kettle. It’s actually quicker to just dump the pan upside down in the garbage than…..first sweeping the Weber Kettle with the arms, back and forth, then removing the lid and using a paint brush to brush the rest of the ashes in the catcher….then removing the ash catcher and dumping it. The ash pan in the OJ Kettle looks big enough to me.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, I haven’t seen that kettle in person though, so can’t speak as to how big the ash pan really is. The one in my Bronco is plenty big though.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I did put a smirk on that.

What's it do that a Weber kettle doesn't? Entry model 22" kettle is $120; premium with the ash bucket is $175--at Home Depot as well. It's not immediately apparent to me what the extra cost gets you.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        It has a hinged lid on it and side shelf. I really like the lid on my Bronco, it works great, is sturdy and doesn’t wobble. Now, one thing I noticed on the OJ kettle is it’s a heavy sucker, 60 lbs. (according to one reviewer) because of the heavy duty metal used on it. Not sure I’d like it being that heavy, even though it’s got wagon wheels. And I also, am not a big fan of their metal wagon wheels.
        Last edited by Panhead John; July 6, 2021, 01:05 PM.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the wagon wheels were good on the cheap offsets, but they're kind of crap on the OJB. My first upgrade to it might be the wheels.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack Did you know that Uncle Bob has upgraded the wheels on his Bronco? Maybe tag him if you’re interested in seeing what he did. He has pics.
        Last edited by Panhead John; July 6, 2021, 03:28 PM.

From reading all of the Home Depot reviews, they seem to all really like it a lot. Now, I’m no novice at reading reviews, I know to take some with a grain of salt. This OJ kettle looks to me like it’s competing with Weber’s 3 legged kettles. But the highlights most people mentioned were:
      1. Being very heavy duty and well constructed. Nothing cheap or flimsy about it. Owning a Bronco, I can vouch for that part.
      2. Temperature control. Just like the Bronco, most of the reviewers were thrilled with how well the OJ kettle held temps with little variations, and for long periods of time.
      3. Most said it cooked very well and were pleased with the results.
      4. The side shelf was a nice feature as well as the large bottom shelf.

Would I sell my Weber kettle and rush out and get one? No, but it looks to be a possible contender for someone wanting a good kettle. I really like that hinged lid though, wish I had one on my Weber, as well as a side shelf. I had to go buy a side shelf for my mine. And I’m not crazy about the flimsy and small bottom shelf on the 3 legged Weber’s. The OJ’s bottom shelf looks to be sturdier and much larger.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 6, 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Erik, but I’ve got the Master Touch which has the lid ring on it. So…I can just rest it in there, which isn’t too bad, but I don’t really want to drill holes and do all that’s required for a lid hinge.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't find information about the grill on the OKJ page, which is weird, while it has reviews on the Despot page.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what JF Morris said also. It is strange.

If it as a Home Depot exclusive it may not show up on the OKJ website since it is made for Home Depot. OKJ would be considered the manufacturer only and not the seller

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        It probably is an HD exclusive. I’ve googled that cooker and only Home Depot shows up, nothing else.

My first awareness of this cooker was about two weeks ago when it popped up on FB in ad that stated it is in fact a Home Depot exclusive product. Looks to be a marketing choice similar to what Blackstone does with some of it's griddle designs that are only available at Wally World.

I haven't seen one of these in person yet, and there's not much user info outside of a few people who don't have much experience with a new product yet, so it's a tough one to judge this early. I noticed the hefty listed weight too, so it does seem to follow the recent OKJ practice of "heavy metal" (excluding their COS products). And like others, I'm suspicious of the ash collection/disposal from a convenience standpoint. But that's one of those experience things that will be judged in time rather than speculating. As much as I enjoy my OKJ cookers, and appreciate their build quality and some useful features, I wouldn't buy one of these and off my Weber Kettle. If I didn't have the Weber this might be in the mix were I shopping for a kettle with the more stable four leg configuration, the side shelf, and perhaps the hinged lid. That said, there's not much there to give it a definitive advantage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here