Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Kettle Pulled Pork Live Post (contest winner from May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Kettle Pulled Pork Live Post (contest winner from May)

Hello All,

I was lucky to win this Slow-N-Sear deluxe kettle in the member's sweepstakes in May. I've used it before now, and it's as good as all the reviews say it is. Thanks again to Pitmaster Club and SnS Grills for sending it to me!

I thought I'd document my pulled pork cook for Independence Day. This is the first time I've tried to cook pulled pork on a kettle. Usually I use my WSM for long cooks, but rain is in the forecast & I've found kettles to be much more rain-proof than the WSM. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

I got the meat on by 7AM. A little later than I had hoped. The smoke you see is the wood chunk burning. I actually waited this time for the charcoal to have "almost blue" smoke to keep the acrid smoke to a minimum.
    Attached Files

Four hours later. The grill has been running at around 270 despite closing down the bottom vents and just using the "smoke hole" for ventilation. The clips keep the lid nice and tight, so I don't see a lot of leaking smoke. I think I got carried away trying to get clean smoke, so I let the coals build up too much of a fire. Oh well --- pulled pork is a pretty forgiving cut of meat.

My pork butt is 8 lbs. The rub is Meathead's Memphis Dust. The meat temperature is at 150 right now.

The tikis are there to scare away the rain. Shoo clouds! Shoo!

Attached Files

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. I do brisket and pulled pork at 275.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      275° has been my target temp fer long many years, with no ill effects, or regrets!

Don't sweat it, Bother!

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Tikis! Great idea. I never thought of that!

I do my pork butts at 260*, btw.

Five hours in. The pit temp was dropping, so I stirred the coals with an iron trowel to knock off the ash and piled them up in one side of the SnS basket. Note to self: next time, do this with heatproof gloves.

Pit temp is back to 270ish. Meat is at 163. It's in the stall.

Some notes on the SnS grill: the various convenience factors really matter more than I thought they would. The lid holder is really nice to have. The flip-out tray is simple and convenient compared to setting up a portable work table(as I used to do with my Weber kettle). The probe hole and "smoke hole" with cover gives me great control over the airflow & temperature. It's just all-around better than a Weber kettle. I'm kind of sorry to admit it, since I love my Weber stuff.
    Attached Files

Comment

Seven hours in. The SnS needs more charcoal. Pork is up to 183 degrees.

The tikis are doing their job. The forecast changed to no rain! Still, this morning's rain forecast gave me a good excuse to try a long cook in the SnS Kettle.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks wonderful! Great job!

Comment

Ten and a half hours in, the cook is done. I let the pit temp ramp up to 300 for the last 2.5 hours. The pork was at 206 degrees when I took it off the grill. It was so tender it started to shred as I moved it from grill to foil tray!

Shredded for serving, it was moist and delicious with great bark. I was nervous about the outer layer of the meat after pushing it at 300, but it all came out great! We served it with Lexington Dip, which is always a hit.

Verdict: the SnS grill is good for long cooks as well as shorter ones. All it requires is a re-load of the charcoal when the first load burns down.

Happy July 4th everyone!

Attached Files

Comment

Great write up!!!! Thanks for sharing, looks like it turned out great!

Comment

Good job!! Since you are also a WSM guy you are familiar with the snake method. You can do the same on the SNS by lighting just ten or twelve briquettes at one end and fill the rest of the basket with unlit briquettes. It works for me when I use the SNS set up on my Weber kettle. I get up to eight hours without adding any more charcoal. Keep smokin'.

Comment

You Done Good.
                I would pair that with the best PBR in town.

Comment

I love "live" topics like this. SUWYAC is great, but every now and then I like to see these "as it happened" cooks, too.

Comment

I too have a shiny new SNS deluxe that fed the family on the 4th. I did 2 large rack of BBRs and some boneless beef short ribs. The BBRs took all the rack real estate so I tried cooking the shorts on the drip pan rack. I discovered that the temps down below are 100d below top grate temps. Early in the cook I was able to hold the top grate at 225 by using the smoke hole at maybe 10% open and the top vent about the same. Upon my temp discovery, i bumped the temps to the 260 range so the shorts would make some progress. When i wrapped the BBRs, i stacked them to make room for the shorts.
                    I also discovered that the keyyle does leak smoke at the lid so purchased some Fire black gasket

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here