Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Kettle Pulled Pork advice needed on charcoal management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Kettle Pulled Pork advice needed on charcoal management

Hi all,

I plan to cook pulled pork tomorrow (4th of July) on my new SnS kettle. I've done lots of pulled pork cooks using my Weber Smokey Mountain, but this is my first time trying it on a SnS.

How do you manage the charcoal for a 10 - 12 hour cook? Just dump more charcoal in when it looks low? The most I've done is a four or five hour rib cook on my kettle, which doesn't even burn the whole SnS load of charcoal.

As for *why* I'm switching to my kettle, it's because we have steady rain forecast tomorrow with wind gusts high enough to make my pop-up shelter a problem. Florida summer problems.... The WSM leaks around the lid due to the design. I've found the SnS Kettle / Weber Kettle to be surprisingly rain proof in such circumstances. You just have to crank up the heat a bit to compensate for evaporative cooling.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If the temp starts to drop more than the normal swings, rake the remaining coals to one end and add more unlit charcoal. It should, (of course ), touch the remaining live coals.

Comment

What RonB said.

Comment

Thanks RonB and klflowers !

Comment

I usually stir the coals around the 3-4hr mark to drop the ash, then again about every hour or two. At about 7-8 hrs (if memory serves) I stir again then rake the coals to one side and refill as needed for however long might remain in the cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here