Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lil help with the Kamado Joe Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I don't like buying things that immediately need to have me 'fix' issues with the product. If this was for OP and they felt they wanted to play with it as a secondary cooker? Sure.

But it's for his buddy who wants to make this is main cooker. Main cookers should be reliable and not need to be tweaked to be acceptable.

• Alphonse
    replied
    Assuming it is all there and at that price I would buy it and spend $19 and gasket the lid and the bottom of the SloRoller. It eliminates the leaks.

That is a good price. You cannot buy a decent Weber at that price and the SloRoller works very well.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    People have issues operating a kettle though. Could just be user error. Offer $150 imo.

• grillinglousiana
    replied
    looks like slow roller itself has fallen apart..
    i have ordered the slow roller..
    kinda like to experiment with different things on the 22 weber..
    if its any where near intact for 180..i would go for it...
    i have several pits..all cook a bit different..

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    No. Pass. Especially for someone inexperienced, never buy something that 'has issues'. People don't want to buy something then have to fix it. They want to buy something and have it just work.

Leave a comment:

• USMCCrashCrew89
    replied
    For that price, please for the love of God, adopt that poor thing to a good home! Those things just came out and it looks like its already been abused! I think you’d have a tough time finding much valuable information on their durability and I know several here have had issues with build quality out of the box but in the end, for the price you have it down to it would be a useful cooker to see if they are interested and want to further invest into MCS.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    If your friend is an experienced outdoor cooker who's comfortable with controlling temp on a leaky cooker he should do fine. If he's a novice, he may struggle.....................which might explain why a cooker that's only been on the retail market for a couple months is already being sold used.

I bought one of the first production available ones early in April and while the SloRoller is intriguing and may offer some small benefits, the overall build quality is not up to traditional Kamado Joe standards. It's light weight and flimsy in some of the components, and fit and finish is ..............meh. Air leaks like crazy. When I contacted Customer Service about some manufacturing/material defects, the first agent told me to "live with it" in more words, but with no satisfaction. After complaining to the dealer I bought it from a different KJ guy said no replacement parts were available currently, but that they would keep my file open. Not sure if I'll ever get replacement parts of expected, new quality, I'll just have to wait and see.

The price you've negotiated might not be bad for the SloRoller itself, which will fit a Weber Kettle if that technology is intriguing, and it is supposed to be offered some time in the future as a separate package for a rumored price of $200ish dollars. To say I'm not impressed with it would be an understatement.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 12, 2021, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    started a topic A lil help with the Kamado Joe Kettle

A lil help with the Kamado Joe Kettle

My buddy asked me to help find him a cooker (I tend to find good deals) I came across this Kamado Kettle for 180 after haggling.

What do you all think? I would pull the trigger just for the extender which looks fine but he wants this as his main cooker.
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
Click here to read our detailed review