Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Barbecue System Pit Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Barbecue System Pit Boss

I just left the St Louis BBQ store....not a place to go if you have a tendency to fall victim to MCS!!
    I started looking at a smoker/grill called a Pit Boss from American Barbecue System. The firebox is the full width of the cooker and is located on the back. What’s interesting about this thing is it can be multiple fuels. You can set it up for charcoal and wood, pellets or gas. I kind of like the idea of having the choice of all three, you could different levels of Smokey flavor depending on what your cooking.
    The cook chamber comes in two different configurations, one is with 4 heavy woven wire grates that hold a nice amount of food...maybe 12-15 racks of ribs.
    The second configuration is with a full rotisserie system which I think the gentleman said it has 8 rotating grates and holds the same amount of food as the fixed setup.
    Have any of you ever had a chance to cook on one? If so what were your thoughts?
    Oh and if your close to St Louis you should stop and check out this store. They have loads of different cookers and accessories you can think of and very friendly.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F54A4B3A-D864-4CD3-8C48-34DC2D7020B2.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1014166Click image for larger version

Name:	EA818A72-BE11-4905-A657-3808E680C01C.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1014168Click image for larger version

Name:	3E1CFBAB-2BEC-4CF4-A5F2-66BF99FED686.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1014167

That looks like a great, (big!), cooker.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s big but seems to handle smaller cooks as well as cooking for large gatherings. I’m looking for something that can comfortably handle a small whole suckling pig?

How does it identify itself?

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha....I know. I’m wondering if it uses one fuel better than the others or if they all work great or just Ho hum?

Looks like the The Good One Marshall with a Pellet hopper jammed into its nose.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that's the first thing I thought of too. I'm not sure I like the Pellet Hopper located right in front like it is. There's a stainless shelf that goes over the top that kind of hides it but looks to be a pain to reload.

Here is their site https://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/pit-boss/ Looks like that cooker is in the $1400 range. Never heard of this brand.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      The All Star is the $1400 range and is only charcoal/wood fired with fixed grates. The one I took pictures of runs around $2800 without the gas burner or rotisserie. One loaded up is somewhere in the $3500-3800 range.

How many weenies can you fit on the rotating grates? Asking for a friend.

Comment

A friend of mine has one and I've looked them over before. Nice cookers and my friend likes his. His also can use pellets.

I have a Good One Marshall and the ABS reminds me a lot of it.

I've been to the old St Louis BBQ store but I believe they have moved to a larger location.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        They said this is the new store. How do you like the Marshall, it seems they would cook pretty much alike and have close to the same capacity.

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        The Marshall is awesome. Holds very stable temps and easy to dial in plus has tons of room. The only negative is that it is kind of a fuel hog.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here