Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Rotisserie Burner - Not Infrared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Rotisserie Burner - Not Infrared

EDIT: I wish we could change the Subject line ourselves. Technically, what Napoleon is doing is "infrared". They are using a burner to heat an intermediate material, in this case steel, to create the radiant heat that is defined as "infrared". So, the Subject should be "...Not Ceramic Radiant Material".

************************************************** ************************************************** **

In another thread about using a Meater in a Napoleon grill, led me to check whether the stated rear burner is a actually a ceramic-based IR burner. It turns out, it is no longer ceramic. It is a single, regular burner behind a steel cover with lightning shaped cutouts. I called Napoleon about the fact that these are actually ceramic-based IR burners like the Side IR burner is. The support person was very nice. She had a similar customer complaint and her internal support told her that they do not use ceramic anymore, claiming the regular burner and steel create IR heat. They state that this was done as the ceramic was prone to wind issues and irregular temp control.

I suggested they needed to be upfront in their materials as their brochures and web site imply pretty strongly that the rear burner is similar to the side burner.

As I have yet to use the rear burner, there isn’t much impact for me. Now I almost feel compelled to use it and the rotisserie just to see what happens!

So, caveat emptor!
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; March 18, 2022, 01:29 PM.

I have had BBQ with both types of burner. Both have performed well, the IR is more susceptible to wind especially as you turn the burner down. I have had very few issues with either although without a cover my IR needs a really good burn off every time I go to use it.

Comment

Correct me if i am wrong, but this is what i have been taught.
      1. Infra red heat is about 1800 degrees F
      2. Infra red heat will travel in a straight line, not radiate.
      3. Infra red heat does not heat the air, rather it heats what the wavelength comes in contact with. Think of those large industrial infra red heaters in an industrial building. When you stand under them you feel the heat, move away and it's gone.

I'm not sure how loosely the term is used. A ceramic burner is capable of achieving that temperature, usually with the introduction of forced air mixing with the gas.

Let me know if I'm not correct on this.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        captainlee Frankly, I couldn’t say. I just googled about it. The main difference, at least in terms of grills, that I could glean is that infrared is "direct" heat, while the regular is based on heated air. I can’t quite grasp that when I consider cooking on a grate directly over charcoal, for example. Why that isn’t infrared, I couldn’t say.

• captainlee
        captainlee commented
        Editing a comment
        Like i inferred above, if the temp is 1800, whatever the heat source, it's infra red. Again that is my understanding. Maybe somebody can set me straight.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here