Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is the Masterbuilt 1050 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the Masterbuilt 1050 worth it?

I'm trying to decide what cooker to add to my collection. I currently have a 22 weber kettle and a 22 WSM. I love the flavor I get from both but would like to add more cooking capacity. I tend to smoke a bunch at the same time and would like to be able to have chicken or pork in a separate smoker from another protein.

I've thought about going the pellet route as well but am scared that the flavor will leave me disappointed.

What are the thoughts on the board on this cooker? Is there another option around 800 that I should be considering? I'd love to get an offset one day but don't have time to tend to a stick burner right now.

Appreciate the help as always!

Have you read the review? There are some electronic issues and other quality problems. From what I read it cooks great.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      DavidNorcross I have read the review and that's why I asked the question to see if people were still happy with the purchase even with the problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0D402331-188E-497F-85B2-A7A03A1DCF42.jpeg
Views:	3937
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	976217Click image for larger version

Name:	6E320911-1951-4E92-AE7F-6668C1710E7C.jpeg
Views:	4136
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	976216 https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibration-tests

Hi all. I guess I am lucky in that my Masterbuilt 1050 just arrived today. I need to find the 2+ hours or so to assemble it, as I don't want to rush and screw something up. From reading posts concerning the Masterbuilt 560 (including the updated review at this site) as well as watching YouTube videos, I know that the

bottom line is it cooks fantastic but the electronics are cheap and the switches fail. The switches keep the fan off when either the bottom or top of the coal hopper is open and turns off the fan when below setting of 500 and the main batch is open.

all my switches have failed but I still cook in this thing weekly. Lots of space in the 1050. Just have to pay attention and not leave any hatch open.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      Polarbear777 Do you add water to the pan under the grates? I didn't know if this smoker had a tendency to dry out meat or not. I use water in the pan of my WSM for pork and beef roasts but don't for pork ribs and poultry. I didn't know if I should do the same with this smoker or not.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking for myself, I have not noticed any issues with moisture, but I have considered using drip pans to help with cleaning, as the juices tend to drip down all over the grease tray, which can't be foiled. I suspect Polarbear777 is using them mainly for cleaning.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Never needed water.

Drip pans definitely for greasy stuff.

When running hot (700F) and you flip something without a drip pan it pretty much ignites immediately. At high temp flames are being blown into the manifold.

It’s ok you can move food to the left etc. You just have to be aware

I agree with Polarbear777 (he's one of the experts on the gravity series around here and doesn't really need me to agree or disagree...).

Even with the bad switches, it's fun to use this cooker.

Huge capacity, cooks fine for low-and-slow or hot-and-fast, easy lighting, quick to get up to temp, easy to shut down.

On the negative side: the already-mentioned switches and the tendency for flare-ups at higher temps (if you look close at the pictures Polarbear777 posted you'll see drip pans to prevent the flare-ups).

Even with the negatives, my 1050 quickly became my most used cooker.

Comment

You can see my initial review and ongoing notes on the 560 here.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ity-560-review

I have had not any issues with switches or the firebox so the cooker has been outstanding for me with steaks, burgers, doner kebab, brisket, ribs, chicken, pastrami and turkey. But I have used the smoker 1-2 times a month versus weekly which I am sure has helped with its upkeep. I’d recommend a $7 WiFi antenna to fix the WiFi as well.

Bottom line, like others have said, fantastic cooker but be prepared to be a bit handy to fix things. Fortunately, given the cost savings from other gravity fed grills, you have a massive repair fund if you will.

Masterbuilt customer service has been pretty inconsistent over the past year so I wouldn’t call them reliable if you need help. That said, switches and firebox issues are easy repairs using third party parts that are easily found if needed.

Highly recommended IMO.

Last edited by STEbbq; January 18, 2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info! I definitely think this could be a great option for me.

I use this pit a lot..more than my green egg lately...
      I have added several mods..the one i still like the most is the SS manifold cover with brackets to hold a drip pan...and the SS fire box insert..
      Have not had a switch failure to date..but i did order new ones in case...
      As far as rev it up to 600 plus for a steak i have not..still cook steaks on my PK..with grill grates
      All in all i like this pit a lot..talked 3 coworkers into buying one...and i gave one to my son for Christmas.
      It is just so darn easy to start up and cool down...i must admit i am a bit of a nut about cleaning my pits..this one no exception..i do clean carefully around the switches...
      I also read about everything on the pits..i added the front shelf that u see on utube on my 560..

just a great pit

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Great, thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking I may be pulling the trigger on one.

Thanks everyone for your help and input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the 1050. I have no issues with tinkering when something goes wrong especially since I have a weber smoky mountain waiting in the wings.

The extra cooking area will be awesome as well as the ability to not have to worry about Temps when it's grass cutting time in the south (have 6 acres to maintain).

Comment

Masterbuilt... the Yugo of the cooking world.

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          Bkhuna Probably not the most lasting build for sure, but who else is providing this functionality and size for the price?

I just don't have unlimited funds and am still keeping my WSM.

Just bypass the safety switches if they cause you grief (very easy to do) and it a GREAT grill & smoker.

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do that. I've been using charcoal cookers for years...just need to learn the electronics part of this one.

Not to add to your MCS but have you ever thought about purchasing an outdoor Griddle? They are fun to cook on and can do things a smoker can not. I have a 28" Blackstone griddle and in the winter I use it around once a week and in the summer I seem to use it two to three times a week. The griddle is my second most used outdoor cooker behind my 22" Weber Kettle.

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          ssandy_561 I do...got a camp chef big gas grill with a griddle top. Use it all the time as well.

Just have a few beers ready for the assembly process! jpietrantone

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq Oh I'm sure I will definitely need them. Afterward may be better. It's hard enough to put some things together without alcohol.

So far, my toddler's kitchen has been the worst thing yet!

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          And a magnetic screwdriver or painter's tape for the handle screws! I lost a few screws and a lot of time getting them out again in the handle/cover....

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Self tapping hex-head screws are required. Then pray nothing is broken because you'll have to take it apart to fix some issues.

Unless of course their customer service just flat out doesn't respond to warranty issues.

I finally got the chance to do the maiden cook on the 1050. Smells great...we will see how it tastes here soon.
        Attached Files

Comment

How's the 1050 experience going? I am really interested in the gravity-fed concept, but I just ordered the Pit Barrel Cooker Jr. I have only smoked on a vertical pellet, so looking forward to the charcoal. The pellet smoker is a PitBoss Pro Servies 4 version 1, and it does the job. Probably won't ever get another one, but they have made improvements. Was thinking Masterbuilt may go through improvements too at some point.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee - Do you know something you're not revealing?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 Yes

• jpietrantone
            jpietrantone commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm really liking it and haven't had any issues thus far with any switches. I do lose connection a lot with the app so I don't use it. I use my pot thermometer to keep an eye on pit temp.

Mine is still working well though I’ve redone all the electrical connections and usually run it from the fireboard. The macro components are holding up just fine.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good concept poor execution and mediocre quality.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here