Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gravity Rotisserie Kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gravity Rotisserie Kit!

I have been anxiously awaiting this but $100 is certainly steeper than I expected. Admittedly I haven't really priced them beyond a peek at Amazon.

Enhance your cooking experience with the Masterbuilt® Gravity Series® Rotisserie Kit. Holds up to 10 lbs. of food and allows it to cook slowly and evenly. Includes two interchangeable spit rods. Fits Gravity Series 560, 800 and 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smokers.

Sigh. The reviews look good so I guess I will suck it up at some point as I have zero expertise or tools needed to drill holes to use a cheaper alternative.

Anyone have one or found a good alternative?

I’ve not used one but that’s sort of the going rate... Weber’s are around $100-120 for their gassers and about $180 for the kettle.

On the upside, they’re fun to use and can help create some tasty food.

Comment

Yeah I looked around a bit and saw that $100 was pretty reasonable.

Comment

Now I need to figure out how to justify an early Christmas present. I guess it is good it is out of stock and I signed up for the text alerts.
        Last edited by STEbbq; September 9, 2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

You roto a chickie once & you just might be doin it all the time.

Comment

Yeah - that is inline with other rotisseries on the market. I've got one for my Weber Genesis II gasser (NOT recommended), and one for my Weber kettle (very MUCH recommended!).

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris, Jim, how would you compare the SnS vs the rotisserie for your chicken results? I know you have both. Tom

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Alabama Smoke Tom, believe it or not, 99% of the chicken I've cooked on my kettle has been direct grilled, using a set of Grillgrates, and not using the SNS at all. I just like hot and fast chicken at 350, and the grill grates make the cook "indirect enough" to not burn up the chicken or have flareups. I also like to make my grilled wings on my gas grill with Grillgrates, mostly as I can fit a full 10 pound bag of Tyson wing sections on that grill.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Con't.

I did use the SNS to hold the charcoal for the rotisserie on my kettle, and was pleased with the results. Again, ran about 350 on that cook.

If I had to say anything, I would say that the chicken is not all that much different grilled direct or indirect at 350F, or rotisserie cooked at 350, assuming you are cooking to the same IT of 160-165. The difference is in the skin. The rotisserie avoided scorched skin (direct), underdone skin (indirect) and was just about perfect.
              Last edited by jfmorris; September 10, 2020, 10:47 AM.

This is very cool. It could get me back to thinking about the gravity series to replace my disintegrating "stainless steel" gas grill at the vacation house.

Comment

I put a generic rotisserie in a rectangular box burner for ~ $ 80.00, and it's great, but I have settled on spatchcocked hens offset in a Weber kettle for almost all my recent and planned cooks. I love the results.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg Views:	28 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	909290
              It seems to me that doing an indirect zone like this for the hen is a lot like doing a rotisserie, as to time in the heat zone. I prefer the heavy smoke collection that you just can't get over coals with a spinner.

Here's another pic for Alabama Smoke

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckie Cook.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	909623
              Last edited by JGo37; September 11, 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                JGo37, I see you have used a metal tray to accentuate the two heat zone almost completely for your cook. I had never thought of that....interesting. Can you comment as to the difference you get this way compared to not using that tray please? Tom

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Alabama Smoke I never understood an indirect zone that didn't completely eliminate infrared line of sight. I use this in one way or another with every type of cooker I have. Here, the sheet has a slot cut to fit over the grate center rod, extends all the way down to the lower briquette grate, and all the way up to the domed lid. This eliminates everything but smoke and heat, and I get stable grate temps too. It also lasts dozens of cooks.

JGo37 very interesting. I may well try that. Regarding your tray, at first glance I thought it was an aluminum prep or serving tray, but I believe it is actually a tray made from aluminum foil. Is that correct?

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a cheapo aluminum baking sheet. I buy my water and baking trays around 30 at a time from Amazon. Very inexpensive that way, lasts a full season of cooks. I have, tho, recently went to stainless pizza and restaurant trays and starting pilot 'fabricating' the hacks. I hope to eventually open a line of this stuff for Weber, Stok, KJ, etc... 'We' already have our product name and logo - but that's the easy part..

ALL the holes for the kit are pre drilled on on the 560..on left side is a crome knock out on right are 3 holes all ready in the pit...i just ordered the kit on amazon
              Attached Files

Comment

Been busy this weekend on my masterbuilt 560..mods..and now my rotisserie kit is here..really easy to install...looking forward to use of it...all holes are pre drilled at factory..takes more time to unpack..then it will to install
                Attached Files

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How is it powered? Separate wart or does it tie into the controller?

has its on plug in..so u would need 2 outlets.
                i will more than likely have a power stip handy..may even mount it some how

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here