Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Masterbuilt 560/1050 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Masterbuilt 560/1050 mods

I stumbled across someone making some interesting mods for the Masterbuilt Gravity Series:

Mostly the firebox liner, but all of the mods looked pretty well thought out to me, but I don't own one of the grills (but have been intrigued by it since it was announced).

Interesting indeed. Looking forward to comments from MG Gravity owners.

Comment

Yes, the owner (Luke S.) posts at the FB Masterbuilt Gravity Fan group frequently. The mods are extremely popular with the group. I give him a ton of credit for his skills and passion for the smoker.

The firebox mod is the most popular given the firebox issues we've seen. However, I have seen comments from purchasers and Luke himself that the stainless steel will eventually fail. In other words, it's not a long-term solution. It's not clear to me at least, the benefits of paying over $100 for a mod that will eventually fail when I could get parts from MB much cheaper if I do run into the same issue. With the MB's release only in the last year, I may revisit my view here in a year or so, once we've had a chance to see some longer-term uses of the stainless steel in the firebox. I've been concerned due to comments again, suggesting the the mod is already showing more serious wear and tear after a few months, but I don't know how heavy the usage is there. My firebox, for example, looks great.

With regards to the water pan, I think that's more of a personal preference, as I've cooked long and slow brisket etc. on this smoker and never felt the need for more humidity. If you are the type that likes using water pans, then I'm sure it's great, but personally, I don't think it is needed. Keep in mind that I have never used water pans, as I had smokers (PBC) that didn't need them. Same for the vent control, as I feel the temp control here is outstanding with stock config, so again, I haven't seen the need for this mod. And I live in a super-windy area.

The manifold cover is pretty clever, I have to admit. I could see value here, given the easier clean-up over a stock MB build, and an eventual purchase over time as I check on the OEM manifold's health, similar to the firebox.

I've also saved this link for future reference for SS grates that fit the 560:

https://www.grillparts.com/grill-gra...R51DDrfr1YxsQQ

Comment

Stainless can rust after being subjected to high enough temperatures.

I’ve been running with the bare brick in the firebox for many many cooks now with no problem.

Electronics are the weakest part of this thing.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        And Polarbear777 outclasses me with his brevity. 😃

i added the manifold cover with the brackets to hold a drip pan...like this a lot
      i also added the fire box insert...not sure if this is needed
      i also added a front shelf..this i really recommend..several on utube are doing this.
      Tom is the first..

Attached Files

Comment

No comment from the PBR gallery.

Comment

I made some new mods to my masterbuilt 560..have not cooked on them yet..will do this wrekend
          1. i added insulation to the wire going to the fire fan..also i haven't rotated the fan..sure i will later

2.from Luke Lls mods..i bought his ash box liner grate add the wood blocks to it..and allow the coals to drop down and continue to burn..also Luke sends a fan protection grate
          Luke email. [email protected]

3.I also bought the Coal grate with fan protection from Nathan..this one you can tell will hold the coals a lot longer in the chamber..it also has a much larger starter gate..some i read were complaining about having a issue with tumble weeds ...not with this one.
          Attached Files

Comment

• grillinglousiana
            grillinglousiana commented
            Editing a comment
            i added the vent mod by Nathan...easy /peasy to install....i am liking this pit more and more...i also see that Luke is selling what he has in stock...seems as if he is having supply issues...he also makes great mods for the Masterbuilt..lets hope he gets back up and running

I forgot to post email for nathan
          [email protected]..
          i bought all my items...no gift here..crazy i am spending more on mods ..than i did the pit

Comment

How would you rank the mods in terms of usefulness? grillinglousiana

Comment

well i havent used them so far...the insulation on the wire i think is a nobrainer..can not hurt anything..only make it better..
              . the other 2
              1 am going to try each one seperate..i am liking both...but i am learning more toward lukes...let the coals drop and burn..and the fan protective grate will do its job.

but heck on the other hand Nathans is much better made..and can easily see the vast majority of coals burning...i guess the big question will any of these impact the preformance of the grill..
              i will just have to find out

Comment

What do you mean by " rotate the fan"?

Comment

the fan on mine from the factory you can see the wire to is on top..unscrew all 4 screws and turn this fan 180 degrees..reinstall the 4 screws.
                  the wire is now on the bottom..and away from the high heat..
                  in some pits it is reported that the wires may melt togethet..causing a short
                  ..really a simple and easy fix

Comment

I’d definitely be very interested to learn if you think any of the mods improve the grill performance.

Comment

i will post as soon as i do a couple cooks on each one

and knowing me i will use both together and dee how that works out..

i like this pit..so much so i am cooking on it more than my green egg
                      still steaks are on my PK..always will be..that thing nails em..

i am thinking i may compair the 560..vs..the barrell house on some ribs...planning on a fairley good size cook for the neighborhood

Comment

I know you have the firebox and drip pan mods too and maybe some others I have forgotten. Would definitely appreciate updates post cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here