Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions between 2 different Masterbuilts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions between 2 different Masterbuilts....

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick questions on opinions between two different Masterbuilts.

In my little grill gazebo, I already have a reasonably large, basic propane grill that still works well (Nextgen 5 burner).
    I don't need to replace that as it still works well and I have had no problems with it (aside from the igniter being a bit flaky)

I already have a Masterbuilt 30inch digital electric smoker (I know...boo hiss ) and a cheap back up Cuisinart 30inch electric smoker that I only use if I dont have enough room in the Masterbuilt for entertaining.

The Masterbuilt still runs like a champ, but I am considering moving up to something that is a little more flame involved as there seems to be something missing from just using the heating element to smoke with.

I was considering the gravity feed 560, but I also see the Masterbuilt 44241GW propane smoker having good marks here from 2019. When I click the link for the 4424 for Amazon, it takes me to the Masterbuilt MB20051316 which certainly LOOKS like the same basic model, though maybe a new model designation?

On Amazon currently, the price difference between the two is only $11 with the 560 marked down to $447 at the moment and the Masterbuilt MB20051316 is at $436.20.

My primary criteria is overall affordability, convenience and general foot print size. There is always something going on here and we have two special needs kids that require monitoring so I don't have much time beyond setup and monitoring cook temps from my blu tooth probes.

I do miss that intangible flavor that charcoal provides, which is why I was initially excited about the gravity feed 560. Then I started reading about the issues with the firebox that a lot of folks are reporting. The propane on the 20051316 will give a nice flame and as long as I have a stand by backup tank in case it runs out mid-cook that should work as well.

Most of my cooks when entertaining are maybe 2 pork butts, a 12-15 pound brisket or about 6 racks of ribs. My biggest issue is cooking space. Vertical cooking space doesnt mean much if you're trying to fit a 13lb brisket in a 30 inch smoker. I'm constantly having to separate the point from the flat to get them to fit in my current setup on anything larger than 7 to 8 pounds.

Even with the issues that have been reported, I'm still leaning towards the 560 because of the overall versatility that it can provide, even though I already do have a fully functioning propane grill.

Any input, insights as to the Pros, Cons for either, or something else that may fit the bill in the same price range? (my advantage to getting it through Amazon is 0% financing for a period of time, so that would be my choice of retailer) I'm not married to either option, so looking for good information to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Hmm. Some of this will be dependent on the smoke profile you want. I'd imagine your current setup produces fairly light smoke? If that's so, then a pellet grill would be a natural option. Similar profile, set and forget etc. More than $500 though... but look around.

The other option, if you really would like charcoal, is to simply wait and see if either Masterbuilt does a v2 that fixes concerns or if others build a more robust take on the idea.
    Last edited by rickgregory; August 1, 2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Jpe616
      Jpe616 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, currently unless I really load up the chips constantly, I dont get too much smoke. I have to rely on the rubs and sauces for much of the flavor. I looked at Traegers at the end of last season, but didnt see an easy way to get a drip pan in there. That is one advantage I like of the vertical smokers, I just put a foil pan on the bottom grate to catch that liquid goodness that comes down.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 560 gravity. Sounds like it comes with a lot of headache.

It sounds like the masterbuilt propanevertical will meet your needs.

If you were looking at pellet poopers - I'd look at the Cuisinart 4 n 1, or Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Both are around $500 and have gold ratings. Check out the reviews on the free side.
    Last edited by BFlynn; August 1, 2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Jpe616
      Jpe616 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks will check into them on here.

I have that MB vertical propane smoker. I like it a lot. The rack is 19" wide, so I have not had an issue with a brisket yet. I see no reason you would be unable to do a couple of briskets. If height of the brisket is a concern just remove one or more of the racks to give yourself plenty of room. When I do ribs, I do not have to trim a rib or two off the rack to get it to fit unless it is longer than 19". When I am doing a big turkey, I remove a rack so it will fit easily. See my avatar for a peek at it.

Current pricing at MB is $349, but out of stock right now.
    Last edited by SmokingSteve; August 1, 2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Jpe616
      Jpe616 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I think I needed to hear from someone that is currently running one of them as well for their opinion on them. Appreciate it!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL that has a bad temperature controller. It was defective out of the box and after a few phone calls to customer support they didn't fix it and stopped taking phone calls. They do not respond to their online service requests.

I wouldn't recommend buying from Masterbuilt. Use that money to put into a better product from a better company. There are other discussions in this forum about quality issues with their products.

Camp Chef Smoke Pro Dlx is 499 on Amazon. I have been wanting to upgrade mine for a couple of years but the thing hasn't given me one problem. I am not a fanboy, I want to get rid of it because I have a bad case of MCS and a MAK is calling me. I just need an excuse and the friggin thing won't give me one.

Psst you can also add the sear box and jerky racks later

Comment

I have the Masterbuilt MB20051316, also known as the Thermotemp XL. It's a 40" vertical with thermostatic control. I like it a lot I am shocked at how expensive it's gotten on Amazon. It's much less on the Masterbuilt site, but listed as Sold Out and unavailable.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; August 1, 2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        I got an email from MB today because I looked at it. It said it is now in stock! (in the email).

I just won a Masterbuilt Pellet smoker - MWS 140S which should be delivered soon and I'm pretty ecstatic regardless of the brand for now anyway. I use my grill all the time and an Amaz-n-smoker tube w/pelleets but it's obviously not the same. Any tips before it gets here would be appreciated. Anything special seasoning it or setting it up? Problems to watch for?

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on the win! Looking forward to seeing it in action

definitely congrats on the win, ByTor! My MB is pure electric, not even a pellet, so I can't provide any real hands on experience for a break in. The first time with this one, I just turned it on to 275 after putting a few small chunks of mesquite in the smoker tray and let it go for about an hour. Had the vent open just a little to allow some air flow, but initially I wanted a lot of that smoke to stay inside in the chamber.. after an hour, I opened the vent all the way and waited for the smoke to die down before powering it off. Aside of cleaning any wayward grease and food remnants between cooks I really only clean it well maybe once a year.

Comment

haha, so after waiting for weeks on end I just got an email telling me it is discontinued and the wife is now getting an Apple Watch, lol. Bummed but I'm just going to buy one now. I have a real nice grill and just want something with decent room. I see MB discontinued Pellet smokers now. I have friend that has MB Propane smoker they really like. I really have no clue. Looking in the $500 range I guess. Suggestions? I'm not sure where to start.

Comment

Have you looked at the camp chef smoke vault? It’s a vertical propane smoker with a lot of room and gives a darn good smoke profile. I’ve had mine for several years and it still gets its fair share of the cooking. Also gets used to make baked Mac and cheese or smoked beans!!!

Comment

I've just personally not been impressed by build quality on the Masterbuilt vertical smokers I've seen to date. My son in law had one and recently sold it, planning to move to charcoal.

I will second the recommendation to look at the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24. It's a very sizeable propane smoker, and I know many here like it. Takes a little messing with the vents and controls to get the temp you want, but once you do that a couple times, you'll know where to set it to get the temp you want. I understand with wood chunks, it puts out a good bit of smoke, for hours.

I've got a Camp Chef flat top grill, and its top notch quality. I am sure their other stuff is too.
            Last edited by jfmorris; September 3, 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Following tenphases earlier suggestion, I have really been looking hard at the Camp Chef pellet smokers. I'm liking what I have been seeing and at less of a cost than a comparable sized Traeger in many instances. When I pull the trigger, it's probably going to be a Camp Chef pellet.

Of course, when I went to fire up my Masterbuilt this past week, as soon as the heating coil when to kick on it blew the GFI outlet. Reset the plug and plugged it back in. The display on the smoker was fine. Went through the various settings and everything seemed good. When I set the temp, it again immediately tripped the GFI. Ordered a replacement heating element for $35 that will be delivered next weekend. Not going to fully trash it, if it can be fixed for $35.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment and give their recommendations. It really did help guide me towards what I'm looking for. If that new heating element doesnt fix it, I'll be pulling the trigger a lot sooner than latter on that Camp Chef.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you doing the vertical XXL or the traditional style? If you do the traditional, I highly recommend getting one of the Slide N Grill models. Not necessarily for the grilling ability (though you may like it - I never use it), they have a taller cooking chamber and much larger upper shelf with more space between it and the main cooking grates.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Also, I've had a few Traegers and you are right that the Camp Chef is a lot more bang for the buck, if not also a better cooker. I think the CC gets more smoke flavor on the food than the newer Traeger controllers.

Originally posted by ByTor View Post
              haha, so after waiting for weeks on end I just got an email telling me it is discontinued and the wife is now getting an Apple Watch, lol. Bummed but I'm just going to buy one now. I have a real nice grill and just want something with decent room. I see MB discontinued Pellet smokers now. I have friend that has MB Propane smoker they really like. I really have no clue. Looking in the $500 range I guess. Suggestions? I'm not sure where to start.
              What the heck kind of prize swap is that? To go from a smoker to an Apple watch? lol In all honesty, when I was starting out, I went with the MB for ease of use initially. Just a straight electric smoker to be able to cook meats in low and slow. It fit that bill, but seems to be missing something with the experience. The household here is more than a little hectic, (we have two special needs adults that live with us who need consistent monitoring) so I need something that is basically set it and require little intervention. it worked fine for that. If I would have to do it all over again, I would not have got this model. There is a space limitation with the 30 inch that makes it difficult to do brisket, though you can fit a nice pork butt in there if you remove a rack or two. Between that and the issues with the heating element that I am currently experiencing that I have had seen numerous other references to out on the web, I would have put the couple hundred I spent on this towards an overall better constructed pellet or charcoal smoker.

Comment

Thanks, the reviews on MB were pretty bad on Amazon and the Pit Barrell were practically perfect so I went that way. I know on the prize, right! What a rip off!

Comment

Glitchy, Yeah the XXL CC's are what I'm leaning towards. Of course, then I start around a bit more... and see the base model Jim Bowie GMG is close to the same price range and there is a dealer for them only a few miles from here.... and the Grilla Silverbac is in a similar price range as well... Right now, the old MB is out there breaking in the new heating element, so it's not an immediate need at this moment. So that's kind of where I've ended up from everyone's advice and opinions, between the CC Woodwind, GMG Jim Bowie, or Grilla Silverback.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here