Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Gravity (MBG1050) Calibration Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I submitted a warranty claim. They say the firebox is just fine.

They invited me to review their product via email, so I did and included the firebox picture. We will see if they actually publish my review.

Comment

I’m intrigued by these, but that looks pretty worrisome.

Comment

Going to be a bear when they want you to send it back, or worse, just not respond to your emails.

Comment

Cooks like a charm and handles the monster #14 lodge DO with ease. All 8 cooked at the same rate in the first phase.

though for some reason now the Wi-Fi isn’t working - that’s pretty common.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F3F7E211-B910-4F7E-A3FC-08884BB04F1A.jpeg
Views:	759
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	867227Click image for larger version

Name:	BA102A58-7E5E-41E6-BABD-396A054D42A6.jpeg
Views:	761
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	867226Click image for larger version

Name:	D59D6971-714F-4454-8C8C-A43B7D597814.jpeg
Views:	753
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	867225

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The wifi came back after a "power-disconnecting" reboot, just like all the other electronics you own.

I got a response from them. They claim that the metal in the bottom of the hopper (firebox) is intended to be temporary and is supposed to just hold the firebrick for assembly. They said that in testing, the firebrick lasts "years". They also said that the bricks can be bought as replacement parts if eventually needed.

I told them in response that they NEED to put this information in their manual, or as an addendum and/or as a FAQ on their website. I told them that an OFFICIAL statement would go a long way in buyer/consumer confidence. However, I noticed that the 1050 is sold out, so maybe they aren't concerned.

So far, it's been working well. I'm very impressed with how it cooks.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah I commented earlier that I had heard the metal was intended to burn through, and that the firebrick was the actual barrier. I guess it is confirmed.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Firebrick seems to be holding up thus far

PB777 ....did MB say that it is ok to remove the metal lining? can the metal lining be removed and just start out using the firebrick? Great photos btw. Steve

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like it’s needed to hold it for assembly. Of course this part comes assembled so I won’t be able to tell until I need to replace it, which will hopefully be awhile.

The metal seems to be removing itself quite well anyway. Pieces just fall into the ash basket.

The electronics are cheap and I’ve already had a switch fail. Given they shut down the unit for safety, the switches and wiring should be more robust.

I shorted the wire to the switch and am back up and running.

also decided to try to drive the unit with the fireboard drive. Worked perfectly. Good backup plan for when more electronic components fail, since its difficult to disassemble and ship back something that is 200+lbs.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have a FB, but I am intrigued by this idea. Can you provide some more details about how easy it was to hook up?

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The fan is 0-12V. All you do is wire a barrel plug to the fan and plug into the the fireboard drive module or any BBQGuru controller I suppose. Reference probe from the fireboard goes into the cook chamber.

Fireboard running the gravity system fan

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C0685A3-A9F9-492F-8CCF-7EEB086CEAF3.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	872726

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Great hack...shouldnt be needed though. Hopefully they upgrade those components.

I would expect for an $800 smoker that the firebox wouldn't look destroyed and the electronics wouldn't crap out so soon.

I think they need to change their name to
          "Ok-ish Built"

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cooks great when it works. Though I shouldn’t have to futz with it so much or fix. Maybe they have a subscription for warranty parts.

Submitted a warranty claim on the switch issue. No response after several days. I guess they are tired of responding to my multiple claims and queries through their contact page. They don’t respond to phone or email either.

Comment

Hi all.

Polarbear777 , thanks for your detailed measurements and analysis. As you are simultaneously measuring 6 temperatures, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind specifying the make and model of your temperature measuring equipment. It looks like a Thermoworks device, but I did not want to assume.

As far as the firebox is concerned, I've heard of some Facebook user that makes a stainless steel insert for the lower firebox portion. However, others have said that even that solution doesn't help, as the gauge of the steel is still too thin. It wasn't until I read this thread that I realized a firebrick is inside the firebox.

Being in customer service for 25+ years, I agree that, even with a product with issues, customers will still try the product as long as the documentation fully supports it as far as known issue and solutions are concerned. MasterBuilt should really post such things on their website. However, in my experience, a company will not do anything that can potentially and negatively affect sales.

For volume cooking sake, I was immediately considering buying another 1050. However, based on the detailed comments coming from this website, I will hold off. I wonder what Rev 2 of the 1050 will look like.

Take care.
            -Z

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I missed this earlier. Just measuring with 6 probes from the fireboard.

Latest update.

the firebox looks the same as earlier pictures and this is after many many more long and short cooks. Looks like the firebrick is just fine.

I think an aftermarket SS liner won’t work because firebox temps being air blown can easily exceed -1500 and break it down anyway. But it looks like it’s not needed.

the lower manifold rusts but it’s straight carbon steel to handle the heat load and that’s expected. It’s heavy gauge so not worried.

a drip pan is a good idea. For long cooks the meat is dripping a lot which it handles fine. However if you open it up to rearrange, moving pieces around drips a lot and at this point the fan is on to maintain temperature which can overcompensate and ignite the grease if you take too more than a few minutes.

with a drip pan on the manifold under the food this thing cooks almost too easy/boring.

Last edited by Polarbear777; October 15, 2020, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I have the 560..so far the cooks have all been great..temp holds good...on a brisket i did add charcoal..it shuts down easy and u have charcoal left..like my green egg..so thats good..after cook cleaning is a must..i line the drip pan with foil...helps a lot..i did order new switches just in case/havent needed them to date..15 cooks..my fire box so far has not burnt thru darn sure its coming..after reading about some issues..
              I have to state..love the ease in lighting..i use b&b fire sticks..fogo brown bag charcoal..and this thing just hums along..i really like it... on most weekends i will have 3 pits running.. it took me a while to get all in sinch ..but i have managed...to do so..cook and continue to pass it out ..
              . again i really like this pit..hell fire i like my weber gas..many a side dish and burgers on that dude..my overall go to is my pk orginal..
              hard to find a better way to do a steak

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here