Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Gravity (MBG1050) Calibration Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt Gravity (MBG1050) Calibration Tests

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0.png
Views:	1860
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	862742

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	1891
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	862738

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	1870
Size:	624.8 KB
ID:	862739

Name:	Picture3.png
Views:	1848
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	862740

Name:	Picture4.png
Views:	1884
Size:	625.8 KB
ID:	862735

Name:	Picture5.png
Views:	1835
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	862741

Name:	Picture6.png
Views:	1838
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	862736

Name:	Picture8.png
Views:	1936
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	862734

Name:	Picture7.png
Views:	1926
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	862737

Hmmmm, very interestin...I appreciate yer sharin th benefit of yer experience, Brother!

Comment

So aren't they saying the casing is just temporary, it is supposed burn out, and the fire brick is there to do the real work?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777 I can't believe it is intentional. The basic economics of the cost of making products, particularly at the price point of the MB products, would be to minimize any material costs. So, putting a grate in there that they "expect" to burn out is tough to comprehend.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        So this is confirmed from MB now

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn’t make sense. Why is it there in the first place then? As GolfGeezer said it adds to the cost for no reason. That’s going to cost a beancounter his/her job.

Interesting read to say the least. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Great job. I can read photos better than graphs...

Comment

That firebox burnout looks downright nasty. And seeing it after one week? Hmmm.

Comment

Yikes. That firebox.

Kathryn

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Damn!

Comment

Wonder what would happen if you submitted a warranty claim there.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll let you know if they ever respond.

There's plenty of room for ash in this cooker, so the type of charcoal isn't important. Main longevity thing is the packing factor, or how much you can cram in the hopper and still close the lid.

Since the limit is about 12 hours, seems like they could have made the hopper taller, or just add on an additional section as an option and you could get it to run 16 hours untouched. I'm guessing the 12 hours will be more like 8 with a heavy load of food in there, will have to try that assuming I can convince myself that it is still safe to operate.

I'm sure the firebox isn't lined with thick stainless because that much stainless would increase the price by ~$100, and since air-blown charcoal can exceed 1500F, it may still fail.

Comment

Thanks for the thorough temp analysis and review of this cooker. Shame they had to compromise on the very thing that may fail the quickest.

One thing I always check when buying a cooker is avoidance of tin can metal components, a proper grease handling system and simplicity of use (less moving parts the better). Not sure this cooker, although unique in design, doesn’t seem to hit the right notes for my criteria.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grease routing seems pretty good, though I haven't tried to push it yet.

Great write up Polarbear777

Comment

Hmmm.... I was seriously thinking about grabbing one of those since the smaller one was pretty highly rated on here, but I wanted more cooking space. After seeing that firebox after just one week, seriously reconsidering that.

Comment

Not sure I'd even call that a firebox. More like a foil liner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here