Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying To Address Any Known Issues With The Masterbuilt 1050 Before Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying To Address Any Known Issues With The Masterbuilt 1050 Before Assembly

Hi all.

I guess I am lucky in that my Masterbuilt 1050 just arrived today. I need to find the 2+ hours or so to assemble it, as I don't want to rush and screw something up.

From reading posts concerning the Masterbuilt 560 (including the updated review at this site) as well as watching YouTube videos, I know that the Masterbuilt 560 has issues with the bottom portion of the charcoal stack becoming burned/rusted out. I also read about the FaceBook user who posted about a 14-gauge stainless steel inner sleeve that someone makes and sells for $100. Finally, I read that Masterbuilt apparently knows about the flaw in the bottom portion of the charcoal stack/burn area, and that they are addressing the issue via warrantee.

Before assembling my 1050, I'm wondering if it has the same issues as the 560. I wonder if I should order the stainless steel inner sleeve for my 1050, provided that the bottom of the charcoal stack/burn area are the same dimensions as that of the 560.

For anyone that owns a 1050 and has actually used it a few times, could you please update this thread with your experiences? Is the burn chamber area of your charcoal stack starting to show signs of rust and burnout that is experienced on the 560?

Thanks in advance.

Take care.
    -Z

fired the 1050 up twice. no issues yet. I'm guessing it will take a while.

Comment

I do know the 1050 has the same firebox as the 560, the top lid's just hinged at a different spot. MB has told us they tried 1/4" steel in the firebox and it didn't withstand the heat either. So, buying a reinforced one from a FB user might not be your long term answer. They tell us though that that inner layer of metal warping and burning out is expected and is not going to affect the performance, the "fire pad" layer will remain intact and it will allow it to function properly. I am just sharing their words to us. We have asked them for documentation on this.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Polarbear777 and Huskee. The only mods I made to my 560 were to add the battery pack and the tin foil on top of the hopper, which you do not need to do as MB has addressed the hopper lid issue with the 1050. I understand your concern about protecting this large investment of money. However, the most common problem I see is usually with delivery as the grill is damaged during shipping.

In my view, I would not make any mods to the grill and just assembly it and enjoy it. I'm not aware of any mods that are actually improving the construction build of the grill in a material way over the long run, just items that make it easier to use like the battery pack.

I am certainly open to investing in the smoker to maintain it over the long run, but I don't think the stainless steel inserts that the FB users are selling for the manifold and hopper are worth it, as they are failing as well.

I could be wrong, but I feel like I should emphasize these firebox issues are happening to a fairly small segment of users (under 5% if FB posts and proof are anything to go by). The vast majority of users, like me, continue to have no issues.

Comment

Huskee

Do you have pictures of this so we know what to look for? I will contribute to diagnosis the best I can and will certainly be using mine as much as possible.

Also did you narrow down your other issue to software, electrical or mechanical?

I just ran it for 8 straight hours with Kingsford Pro charcoal and it had almost no temperature deviation and was eerily even across all grates and levels. I'll post the actual data when I get a chance. This thing running is extremely impressive. I fired some chicken wings at 650F and they were fantastic. Hope the fun lasts!

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            I can source pics from FB If you want. Let me know.

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
          Huskee

Do you have pictures of this so we know what to look for? I will contribute to diagnosis the best I can and will certainly be using mine as much as possible.

Also did you narrow down your other issue to software, electrical or mechanical?

I just ran it for 8 straight hours with Kingsford Pro charcoal and it had almost no temperature deviation and was eerily even across all grates and levels. I'll post the actual data when I get a chance. This thing running is extremely impressive. I fired some chicken wings at 650F and they were fantastic. Hope the fun lasts!
          I don't because after I noticed it, I filled it with charcoal and wood chunks for a cook, w/o snapping any pics, then the fan wouldn't fire up. So now it sits covered full of charcoal. It is extremely difficult to empty a full charcoal hopper as I'm sure you realize. I have yet to have time to investigate if there's an obstruction to the fan which might be a simple fix, or if it's electronic.

I hope to know later this week when I'm home. Right now I'm at work in the Covid zone.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I find that turning the grill upside down and shaking gently does the trick in emptying the charcoal bin. It also proves your "Hulk Smash" style manliness.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Ha!

Hi all.

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. As my 1050 is still in the box, after assembly and during break-in (manufacturer oil burn-off and seasoning), I will make sure to document the charcoal stack and other critical areas of the 1050 before and after each use via pictures. Collectively, we should be able to give Masterbuilt real-world use cases and feedback.

Take care.
          -Z

Comment

Get yourself some self tapping hex-heads and a nice hex head bit. Assembling my Masterbuilt MPS 340 required fixing holes that didn't line up. Additionally, I had to get a second person to help flip it over to attach legs. It's been a year, and the temp controller never worked. Now their customer service has you fill out a form online and I've never heard back.

I bought a warrantee from Amazon when I purchased it but they want me to ship it back. I asked them if they were gonna send a pallet and a truck with a lift gate and a crate so I could take it to the shipper, but all they sent was a prepaid shipping label.

Lessons learned:

1. Never buy something when it first comes out. Many times there will be issues. Older technology is usually older because it's tried and true.
            2. Never order something like a big smoker online.
            3. Some assembly required is code for "you should of bought one that was assembled.
            4. Buy from a reputable dealer that has an assembled model in stock and test the unit's ability to operate as advertised. Lacking that, make sure there is a guarantee from the dealer that if they deliver, they'll come back and pick up if you end up with a lemon.
            Last edited by Bkhuna; June 9, 2020, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              FWIW, I have the same unit (ThermoTemp XL) and had no issues like you had. Assembly was fairly easy (after watching a YouTube video) and temp control works pretty much flawlessly. I did have shopping damage however, but it was mostly cosmetic. The biggest issue was the cook chamber door says significantly, but I managed to yank it into a position where I can get it to seal.

The charcoal hopper is pre-assembled and only requires a couple sections be put together and the heat guard added to the outside. All the holes lined up perfectly (I was surprised). I'm not sure it warrants replacing anything before assembly.

Assembly was tedious (took half an hour just to get everything out of the box, it is packed surprisingly well) and a few of the stickers were difficult to remove, but other than that it went together easily and fired up right away and has been working like a champ for several days now.

I do agree that if you had to return the 1050, you are screwed because it weighs 250lb and there is no practical way to disassemble or get it back in a box.

I'm hoping any issues can be resolved, since pieces should be replaceable, however, masterbuilt customer service is only via a web form, they don't answer the phone and they do not respond to anything sent in the web form. I did send an email direct to their support but that email is for "sellers only" and they reply that they won't help unless you use the web form, so they effectively have zero support. Not good for a company who has a real potential gem here that could give them real competitiveness.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              I figured out a work around for the non functional temperature controller by putting a Swagelok regulating needle valve in the propane line

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a terrible time for CS centers, Covid and all.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              @ Huskee - True, but you'd think after months of stay at home orders, they could figure out how to answer emails.

MB support is being curtailed effectively due to COVID-19. I am not sure when folks will be staffing the phones again.

The most consistent way I've seen to get fast responses is via FB Messenger here: https://www.facebook.com/masterbuilt/ as it usually takes a few hours.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Shouldn’t need a Facebook acct to contact them for service.

Many other companies answer the phone even now and at least respond to web inquiries.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a fair point that MB should be returning to normal service on the CS lines at this point.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here