Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did My Manifold Just Rust Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did My Manifold Just Rust Out?

In the space of a few weeks?
    Attached Files

Looks like surface rust. Post some other pics from further away. Red scotchbrite then rub some fat on it. Wet ash is acidic and will take out your bbq in no time.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I will get some more pics tomorrow. It is stored in a garage and not left in the rain but I suppose it is cheap parts

Mine did that also. Mine was just the surface. Since the manifold gets super hot they just used regular steel. Stainless routinely held at high temps can stil rust.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      So no reason for concern? Just clean per Ahumadora's comments?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just hit mine with a wire brush, then oiled it and kept going.

Had been rusty for about 6 months with no ill effect. I would have tested longer but it’s a bit bent out of shape now.

I don’t think there is much else you can do that won’t burn off or become non food safe from out-gassing. Just oil or food grease and heat.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      As always, thanks for the help! Ahumadora too!

Some more pics pre clean and post scrub and oil.
    Attached Files

Comment

Now the wheel fell off. I kid you not

Comment

If the wheel fell off, it must be a sign. 🕶

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, it is an easy fix but it is a 2 person job as I can't lift the 200 pounds and slide the wheel back on at the same time. I will have some help shortly.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I had two wheels fall off.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          If I already had one, does that count?

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw that in your "Past Loves" but you can always come back to a fire pit - trash can.

Wheel is back on so we are back in business.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you balance and rotate since one was already off? If the right wheel comes off a Chevy Duramax you can just go ahead and change the fuel filter.....

wow..i look at my manifold and seen the rust..i did exactly what was suggested..i just ysed a scotch bright and rubbed it down and did rub a bit of oil on it.
        . has not failed..i also have a drip pan and mainfoild cover on mine..but stainless will fail also if not maintained sure nor set and forget..
        cooking on mine now..really like this pit

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here