Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new HastyBake 357 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoldering Flea
    replied
    If it’s running too hot on direct maybe try with the regular grates? Should be pretty responsive to lowering the charcoal tray while I wonder whether the grillgrate stays hotter even when you lower the tray because the hot convection current is getting trapped under the grillgrate.

Leave a comment:

• perry green
    replied
    Hi Sorry for the lag time on all the kind responses , questions.

Regarding the load of charcoal: I used the lump charcoal as recommended by the manufacturer and just placed it in the front half of the pan - it was pretty full.
    I had the vents wide open until it lit and then I monitored the temp with a thermoworks dot placed right at the level of the meat. Adjusted the vents as the temp rose . Added water to the pan as needed.

Regarding "I might be better at this than you" it was probably beginners luck... and closely following everything. I tend to get lazy / smug and then I end up with a piece of garbage on subsequent cooks.

My last cook was a couple ribeyes. No water pan. Direct heat with grill grates and I decided to just dump in a load of briquets moving the crank up and down just to see what would happen. The heat zoomed up so I lowered the tray. Hard to stabilize. Grill grates are neat but like everything it takes practice to get it right and I was a bit impatient.

The steaks were kind of MEH but more of a function of the quality of the meat. Sitting in the freezer too long and I bought 'em on sale. But it was good practice...

Next I made about 20 ABTs on a sheet pan. Used a combination of briquets and lump charcoal. Again I had temps that were too high with direct heat. Even with the vents closed. That seems to be the control issue for me.

The nice thing though was being able to move them to the upper tray. They turned out nice.

Lastly, you are right on about the internet community. So many good ways to learn through sharing. And yes this cooker is very fuel efficient.

I do wish Hastybake would publish at least an e book of basic recipes pertaining to the 357 to help us all trouble shoot.

Thanks again for all the support/ encouragement . Time to start planning my Super Bowl menu. (Hah! I almost spelled it Super Bowel. (A Freudian slip I guess being a BEAR fan)

Leave a comment:

• 70monte
    commented on 's reply
    The 357 should be a better cooking machine since IMO it has a better vent system and that they put a flange at the bottom of the side door so it can't draft in a bunch of extra air plus using gaskets around the side door and lid. All of the reviews that I've read said that it's more fuel efficient than the regular HB models and easier to control temps.

• Smoldering Flea
    commented on 's reply
    as you season it up, be aware that [at least mine] leaks some of the seasoning juice from the corners onto the ground. May want to look into a mat if that will be an issue for you.

• ecowper
    replied
    I just gotta say that it took me about a year with my 256 to get that solid perry green ..... three things I think this makes clear

First, the internet is amazing. Ten years ago it was pretty impossible to find this kind of info on how to set up and run a Hasty-Bake. I was working off Amazing Ribs and Hasty Bake websites and nothing else. Today, there’s hundreds of folks in communities like this one (and many others) who will help you figure it out.

Second, you might be better at this than me cause that was amazing for just the first couple days.

Third, the 357 may be a better cooking machine than the 256 .... Love to know that’s true.

Leave a comment:

• Smoldering Flea
    commented on 's reply
    When you say a half load. Do you mean charcoal pan was half full? Or a quarter full? And how open were the vents on your second. Cook? Thanks

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    That’s pretty solid for the first couple times you are running it.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Sounds awesome. Any pics of the finished product?

Leave a comment:

• perry green
    replied
    Hi all

I'm happy to report that I had a great first cook today on my 357 Pro. The other day I lit a nice hot fire to burn out any factory garbage. The temp got up to about 375 with just a 1/2 load of lump charcoal. It held that temp for 2 hours and I decided to take advantage of our tropical Chicago weather to eat outdoors at our local Mexican restaurant. 2 hours later it was at 280. Pretty impressive.

Today I sprayed the sides and grates with pam, put in the same amount of charcoal as before, filled the water pan and covered the other side with a heat deflector. Over the water pan I placed two big bacon wrapped fatties. The temp was pretty stable: 250-275. 90 mins later over the heat deflector I added rack of St. Louis Ribs. I was able to control the temp well just with the side vents and added a bit of charcoal or wood as needed.
    Pretty happy with the results.

Next up searing some steaks.

Leave a comment:

• 70monte
    commented on 's reply
    I would like to know too since this is a grill that I'm still interested in and was thinking of getting some time in the future.

• perry green
    replied
    It's a long story and I don't have an axe to grind. Just want to get started cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Clark
    replied
    You refer to "all the trouble". Could you elaborate on that, please?

Leave a comment:

• Smoldering Flea
    commented on 's reply
    Can I ask what the major hiccup was? (New user myself.)

• perry green
    replied
    Thank you. You are right about the price. My wife surprised me with it for my B-Day way back in August. It was compensation for having to miss the Meat Up in Memphis due to COVID.

Experienced a major hiccup with this thing. Couldn't use it and almost gave up on it.

To tell you the truth we never would have bought it had we known all the trouble we would have. At any rate we seem to be good to go. I'll keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

• 70monte
    replied
    Most everyone on the FB HB group recommends spraying down the insides of the grill as well as the grates even though it's stainless. I think it takes getting the insides pretty gunked up before the 357 will get a lot more air tight and temps will be easier to control.

Since they added the gaskets and the piece of metal at the bottom of the door, I think it's helped a lot on fire control.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this grill once you use it for awhile. I want one but the price and a few other things has held me back from buying one. I forgot to say congratulations on your new grill.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here