Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasty Bake Nomad 250 Pro Charcoal Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasty Bake Nomad 250 Pro Charcoal Grill

This is looking interesting to me, the Hasty Bake Nomad 250 Pro for its size and portability. Sort of a fancy schmancy Smokey Joe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nomadfront_1024x1024.jpg?v=1592944994.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	875567
    Click image for larger version  Name:	open_1024x1024.jpg?v=1592944954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	875568

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120024.jpg Views:	3 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	875569

It's small but nice for searing and cooking for two, perhaps. We're thinking about getting it for my daughter and son-in-law whose outdoor kitchen has the perfect space for it. At present, they have a built-in Viking gasser and small Viking range; the previous owners built a spot for a portable HastyBake which they took with them. This could be the perfect replacement. With a toddler and a newborn and busy professions, they don't really have the time to dabble in outdoor cooking, and this might be a way introduce them to charcoal grilling on a small scale. Plus they can take it tailgating whenever that begins again.

Cooking area is 150 sq inches, comparable to the 147 sq inches of the Smokey Joe.

Retails for $399.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 5, 2020, 06:20 AM.

Interesting cooker, and beautiful with all that stainless! Does it come with the Grillgrates shown in the photos? Price is not much more than the PKGO that would probably fit in the spot the previous owner left.

The one thought I have is.... since there is a spot for a PK, and the PK is also portable, and can smoke (at least small amounts) in addition to grilling, is that an option you want to consider for them?

I do like that it has a latch to stay shut. I think you have to bungee the PK grills closed for travel.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 5, 2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I hadn't even considered the PK, Jim jfmorris . I want something sturdy so the little ones can't tip it off its ledge (built-in) , which is why I haven't gifted them a small charcoal grill.

And yes, those Grill Grates come with. It comes with 2 sets of grates, from what I can tell from the photos-- hashmark-patterned, and Grill Grates as well as a grate extender.

Kathryn

Comment

Well Kathryn, you’ve gone and done it again. I showed my Kathryn a photo of the Nomad and she though it was a great idea to have something small like that so one is now on pre-order.🙂 We just opted for the standard.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          So glad I could help, Donw . Let us know how you like it.

Kathryn

That would pretty much make you the best mother in law ever

Comment

So now you’ve taken MCS to some one else’s outdoor kitchen and you spending the money from Donw wallet.

is there no Mercy from this scurge of MCS.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Resistance is futile.

K.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean the blessing of MCS.

I think this is just a fancier version of their Portable which they have discontinued. I thought about getting it but I don't do SCA steak comps and I've never been interested in HB's portable so I probably won't. The pro version is a better deal right now for $25 more and you get the grill grates and the rack. HB says that after the pre-order price, those two things will be valued at $160.

Comment

Jumbo Joe = 254 sq in of cooking surface. I bought mine on clearance at Home Depot for $30. Added a stainless Grilla Grate for $60 and an SNS charcoal basket for $39 and got a whale of a portable cooker.

Just sayin’, yours sure is cute though

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              You make a good point. However with a toddler and a future-toddler on the scene, I'm not a fan of the tippiness and accessibility of the Jumbo Joe. Not that they couldn't get burned on a Hastybake, but the construction and footprint are more substantial. Can you tell I'm a doting grandmama whose Worry Meter is always pegged at 11?

Kathryn

Well, I think for the built-in opening that the kids have on their deck that the Hastybake tailgater style Ranger 380 is a better fit. Plus it will be great for them to take on the (rented) RV family vacays that they are thinking of having in the many, many Covid months/year(s?) ahead.

Click image for larger version  Name:	380_s_3_grande_a5c51b32-6672-45fa-8ceb-1f277c68543e_1024x1024.jpg?v=1466602418.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.1 KB ID:	876900

It has 258 sq in of cooking area. Not a lot. Much like the grate area on my PBC or an 18" kettle at 240 sq in.

Retails for $749.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 7, 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

fzxdoc Kathryn,

So if the previous owner built a "hole" that a PK sits down in, and its in a hole in a counter top, how would the toddlers mess with it or knock it over? Just curious, since I am picturing a counter with a hole back from the edge. Or is it open on the front side, like an inset shelf?

Comment

It's not a hole, Jim, jfmorris , it's an insert shelf sunk down from counter level, so the level of the grate is close to counter level.

I'm not worried about the toddlers while son-in-law is tending the cooker--I'm sure he and my daughter will keep a close eye; I want something stable enough that if they do some climbing while the cooker is not in use that it will have less of a tendency to topple over. A 4 legged 45lb HastyBake box vs a tripod Smokey Joe setup. Of course my daughter and her husband could always take it off the shelf and store it in the garage, but knowing them, it will most likely sit there all the time. They're already thinking of some type of gate to block access to that shelf area.

Kathryn

Comment

Just think of all the fun you and your daughter can have cleaning that thing I've seen photos of your equipment and it all looks like it just came out of the box.

Comment

Man, I wish I had had the foresight to marry into your family!!! Wait, I am too old anyway

Comment

That thing looks really cool and looks fun to cook on. I'll bet it will be a nice compliment to those Vikings. Only drawback I see, it seems like a lot of parts and moving parts to clean. But it is a Hasty Bake.

My mother in law tells me I only need one grill....Ha!! That's what I have to say about that!..lol
                      Last edited by troymeister; July 8, 2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here