Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasty Bake first cook -- what should I cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the follow ups!
    I've been kicking myself ever since I gave away my Weber/SNS rig, and will be in the market for something new sooner rather than later. Sounds like the Hasty Bake might be just what I'm looking for. Or maybe a cabinet smoker, or a PBC, or maybe the new Weber pellet pooper.

Comment

There's a learning curve just like any other cooker/smoker, and I'm still deep in the middle of it.

I've been posting what I've been doing because it seems like there is not much detailed info out there for HB users. I can find instructions on how to set up a Kettle with exact numbers of briquettes and how many to light for a cook of X hours at Y temperature -- see https://www.kettlepitmasterbbq.com/ . Ditto for the PBC -- see Kathryn's post on the PBC channel.

But not so much for the HB. Yes, the company has some recent videos on fire management, but they're oddly not very detailed about what a beginner wants to know (at least this beginner).

One of the tips I want to add when doing a longer cook in cold weather, there can be a fair bit of condensation on the cabinet insides. The water runs down the inside of the cabinet and drips onto the flooring at the corners of the cabinet. If you don't want smoky lumps of ice freezing onto your deck in cold weather, use a deck mat. I suspect in warmer weather this condensation is less or not a problem, but it certainly was an issue yesterday -- the outdoor temp was in the low to mid 20s.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I know, I know. The peanut gallery needs somethin' to do wid their peanut shells. Next time!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the info IowaGirl With the HB being one of Meathead 's favorite cooker, I would have thought there would be more instructions to found around here. In any event, keep the updates coming!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do, sir. Happy to oblige.

The big difference between the lower position and higher position is how it impacts ENERGY from infrared radiation which is vital for searing. We get hung up on air temp, but IR is what sears, just like UV causes sunburn. So moving the lower grate closer to the meat might only raise the air temp a bit, it puts a LOT more IR ENERGY on the surface. Go back and re-read this https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ooking-and-how

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead Thank you for the reminder. I get so enthralled with The Pit I forget about the other side.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here