Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasty bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasty bake

In 2010, Meathead said he had never worked with a finer charcoal grill than the Hasty Bake Gourmet. 1) Does he still believe that to be the case? 2) I'd like to hear from Hasty Bake Gourmet and Hasty Bake Fiesta owners to confirm Meathead's conviction and to get opinions about not just grilling, but smoking on these pits. 3) Looking to build-in a grill and a smoker in my courtyard. Ideally, I think, a combo unit that performs both tasks very well. Open and anxious for suggestions. 4) Any reviews or opinions on Arizona BBQ's Boothill Cooker?
    Last edited by RibCall; July 24, 2019, 01:07 PM.

I have never cooked on one but can say that everyone I've talked to that has or owns one has said the same thing. I believe the only knock on it, if memory serves, is it's fairly thin metal (meaning rust and whatnot). I'd certainly buy one if I didn't already own 6 Webers that can do the same thing.

Comment

Hi Ribcall it has been 9 years since the HastyBake was given a great review. Since then there have been several grills that may have been given better reviews. Please go to the free site and see what is available and what may meet your needs as well or better. Don't want you to be disappointed in what you get.

Comment

I have one and love it. To me it is as advertised. Rust is in no way an issue. Versatile in every way.

Comment

I had a Gourmet for about 6 months and sold it. This is just my opinion based on my experience. The cooker was paper thin, leaked air everywhere, had vents that were a joke and was nearly impossible to maintain steady temps. I have had a lot of cookers go through my backyard over the years... some less expensive and some pretty darn nice. The HB was one of my least favorites. I know some folks swear by them and produce killer food on them... but it was absolutely not for me. Just my 2 cents

If you want something similar to the HB... the M Grills M1 will blow it away in construction and performance. I cooked on a first generation M1 and the few negatives I found in it have all been worked out. Travis over at M Grills had his ears wide open to customers of those first generation grills and it shows

Sorry if parts of my post came across as negative or harsh... not at all my intent. Just trying to be open/transparent about my previous experiences.

Comment

My son in law and I were discussing his plans for the house he and my daughter plan to build. He wants an outdoor kitchen area, and was thinking of building a kamado into a table/counter. I think I am steering him towards doing it with a 26” kettle. You can fit a lot of food on the 26” kettle, and it can both grill and smoke.

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              What about a Summit? Best of both worlds?

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              The Summit is a budget buster. If you got $2000 or so to burn, sure - get it. But my SIL is a DIY guy, and was asking me about building a Kamado type table - I just told him to consider a 26" kettle as it would save a ton of cash, over even the budget kamados he was looking at in Home Depot or Costco - and those would probably be 18" kamados.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
            My son in law and I were discussing his plans for the house he and my daughter plan to build. He wants an outdoor kitchen area, and was thinking of building a kamado into a table/counter. I think I am steering him towards doing it with a 26” kettle. You can fit a lot of food on the 26” kettle, and it can both grill and smoke.
            I am in your corner on this one... lol. Having cooked on ceramic kamados for years, and now cooking on a 26 kettle... I’d pick the kettle over ceramic for numerous reasons. Love my 26’er

Comment

so I would go with a xxl kamado (like a big joe, or egg ) but has to be extra extra large. I would go with a M1 grill way before the HastyBake . Now being a BGE owner already I am looking to add either the M1 or maybe a lone star grillz.

Comment

This is a late response but i figure someone cruising might benifit. I got a Hasty Bake Gourmet for 200 $ I really like it but if i lost it i wouldnt pay more than 500 for a new one. I would fork over 500 for a weber 26 with slow n sear as well.. I believe that they are different but an equivalent value at 500 but the HB will run you 1400. If I could only have one it would be the 26.

Comment

Originally posted by tenphases View Post
                  This is a late response but i figure someone cruising might benifit. I got a Hasty Bake Gourmet for 200 $ I really like it but if i lost it i wouldnt pay more than 500 for a new one. I would fork over 500 for a weber 26 with slow n sear as well.. I believe that they are different but an equivalent value at 500 but the HB will run you 1400. If I could only have one it would be the 26.
                  Totally agree! I have had both the HB Gourmet and 26 kettle. Hands down the kettle wins IMO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here