Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Felt Sorry For The Hasty-Bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felt Sorry For The Hasty-Bake

My wife is gone all day, won't be home until 10 PM, or so. Figured time for some boy food ...... beef short ribs, beans, tomatoes. Chuck wagon kinda food. As I was getting everything prepped, I started feeling bad for my Hasty-Bake. I haven't smoked anything on him since I got the WSM. Poof fella. So, I fired up the Hasty-Bake in low and slow mode ..... 1 chimney unlit charcoal and 1/2 chimney lit charcoal. Plus a couple chunks of red oak (thanks Steve R.) .... Just regular old KBB. With a water pan on top of the heat deflector, the vents open, and the firebox all the way down, the Hasty-Bake runs rock solid at 230, give or take a couple degrees . Figured since I was gonna give the Hasty-Bake the honor, I'd pull out my Maverick thermometer while I was at it.

About 3 lbs of beef ribs is on and cooking. Just about ready to start the beans going. Cooked up some bacon to go in the bean pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2DFC76-6F3C-45F5-9B48-398DB43251BF.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	380906

Name:	6CB931B2-D231-44A4-8E3E-8BF3C6CD82A2.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	380905

Name:	0BC036B6-059E-4E97-926C-9B8876A7C6DD.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	380903

Name:	CD2548D4-4543-45B2-8954-0A6A19873BC1.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	380904

Even after all that neglect it still worked for you.

Comment

So nice man! I keep wishing we had a hasty bake channel here. Not enough of us I am guessing. About to put my Ranger thru a work out. Spare ribs trimmed SLC, and trimmings going on in a an hour or so. Picked up two chuckies to test her out on a longer cook tomorrow. Flying blind, as I usually use Stoker temp control for the long ones, and don't have it with me at the motel to even monitor pit temp. Relying on the dial. It's going to be interesting. Also forgot to bring wood chunks with me, and could only find chips locally. Gotta love small town America!!

Comment

TheCountofQ I think you and are the only regulars with HB's .... I do love it, though. It's just a workhorse and can do anything you throw at it.

Love to hear what you think of the Ranger after a couple cooks.

Comment

It called & you showed it some love. Tasty sounding meal.

Comment

Somebody is waiting for something to drop I see.

Comment

HawkerXP my Labs always circle the cookers once I get them going. Yeah, they are convinced that I'm gonna drop some food for them.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah... never noticed how much we dropped until our Lab was gone.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                I love it when you drop something on the table and they look under it like 'I know he dropped it, where is it?'

Oh, I've got more than a coupe in already!! I bought it to travel, and I am on the road working. So far... burgers, tri tip, rib eye, skirt, polish sausage for the proteins group on the grate or directly on the coals. In cast iron I did chorizo, a dozen scrambled eggs, and then warmed tortillas direct for breakfast burritos (freaking amazing, by the way). Had two cast iron seasoning runs prior to the meals. Also asparagus and taters as sides. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm way past beer:30.

It is a learning experience. No real fails yet, as everything was very tasty and eaten.

Cooking a full meal for two, at the sane time is probably the limit. Say... two steaks and two sides. And that is crowded. In a cast iron pot or pan... more depending on the dish.

The fire box gets right up to the grate, higher than the models with grease rods. Better at searing than even the full size models.

It travels great!!! Fits easily in the motel room and jeep. Foil in the ash pan makes for a speedy clean up after pressing hot coals thru the grate in the fire box or moving larger peices with tongs. Just fold up the foil and put in an appropriate place. I use a 5 gallon galvanized covered pale. It cools quickly and is ready to be brought in for the night.

It still has a removable heat deflector, which i cover in foil, for clean up purposes also.

Like I mentioned, I am still learning to control the temp manually instead of fan control, but hitting 225 and maintaining send pretty easy. I assumed the dial thermometer is off, but it hasn't held me back.

I imagine I will have to refill a couple of times with the chuckies, which I don't have to do with the Legacy. I've gotten spoilled with that and the Stoker.

I am at a loss as to why it didn't make the top 10 tail gating list, but i guess we are all partial to our own grills.

Sorry to hijack your thread....
              Last edited by TheCountofQ; September 16, 2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                JCGrill This first project should be done this week, then the next should last till about turkey day. 2 weeks at the first motel, but moved for a better rate and kitchenette Thursday. Might stay here the duration. Natural gas compression stations (electrical).

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                I may know a guy you would have crossed paths with. I love hotels with kitchenettes for long stays. In February I was in Dodge City for 3 weeks and ate out twice.

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                JCGrill It's all about the food when traveling. Spent two years straight bouncing across the northeast, 8 really but 2 once without making it home. Loved cooking out with other construction workers and trading tips and recipes.

Love cooking beef shorties .... these are looking and smelling great. Starting to probe nicely, too. I think about an hour left, then rest them in the oven at 170 for a bit. Beans are coming along nice, too.

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	381005

Comment

Looking Great!

Comment

Love short ribs! Great looking cook.

Comment

Lookin' good to me.

Comment

Looking great! It is time for my quarterly short rib ration.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here