Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasty-Bake vs other built-in charcoal grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasty-Bake vs other built-in charcoal grills

Hi All,

Not trying to start a fight because I know there are many Hasty-Bake enthusiasts here, but I figure you'd be the best crowd to help me understand the difference between Hasty-Bake and other charcoal grills (built-in or otherwise) that can raise or lower the charcoal tray. I assume the devil must be in the details. For examples of the other grills I'm wondering about:

Fire magic has a few, but they don't seem to have a pull-out charcoal tray. Here's one example of many:

The Fire Magic 30 Inch Charcoal Grill features a 540 square inch cooking surface, all stainless steel construction, and a heavy-duty stainless smoker hood with precise analog thermometer. The smoker hood features adjustable air shutters for easy temperature control. The adjustable cooking surface and easy-access charcoal drawer make adding charcoal and smoker chips a breeze. Smoker includes a charcoal shield for indirect cooking and a warming rack. Allow 10-12 inches from the back of the grill to the backsplash/wall for lid clearance when lid is open.

This is one by Sunstone that seems like it's aiming to be a direct competitor to the H-B Hastings. It has dual pull out charcoal trays that can be independently raised/lowered:

Sunstone offers a unique and durable built-in charcoal grill that any charcoal enthusiast will love. This unique 42-inch charcoal grill has a dual zone drawer system for two separate temperature zones on your grill and easily refilling charcoal or wood as you cook. Use one side of the grill for high heat grilling and the other side for low and slow indirect cooking. There are two levels of trays inside each drawer. The bottom tray can be used as a water pan for smoking while the adjustable top tray with pass-thru heat flavorizer racks can be loaded with your choice of wood. Each drawer face has adjustable vents along with one on the hood allow you to control the heat and air flow. The SUNCHDZ42 grill has 780 square inches of main cooking area, 280 square inches of warming area for a total of 1060 square inches. Made of heavy-duty 304 stainless steel, the grill also includes a removable warming rack and smoker box.

This is one by Texas Pitcrafters that also doubles as a offset smoker. There is an option to have a charcoal tray that can be raised/lowered in the main cook chamber:

The Texas Barbecues 500 Stainless Brick-In Barbecue Pit/Smoker features 1100 sq in of cooking surface. Cooking grids are built of stainless steel round bar and stainless expanded metal. Grill is constructed of high quality, 304 stainless steel and features a removable heavy gauge charcoal/water pan located in main pit chamber. The Firebox on the side of the grill also gives you the ability to cook on it. Lift the lid on the Firebox and there is a cooking grid that is 11 x 17 with a steel plate underneath it. You can cook on the plate or over your coals directly. The Firebox also has a removable ash pan for easy clean up. Includes large, easy to read thermometer. Includes stainless steel hardware and hinges. Lifetime burnout warranty on firebox. Cooking Grid Dimensions (in inches): Main Grid is 33x18, the Warming Rack is 33x9 and the Smoker Box Grid is 11x17. Smoker Box Dimensions (in inches): 20. 5 front to back, 15 tall, 18 left to right. GRILL ONLY ISLAND NOT INCLUDED. THE ACCESS DOOR IS NOT INCLUDED.

I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I'm looking for a built-in charcoal solution for an outdoor kitchen and want to better understand my options. I asked this question on my Intro thread, but I thought I should post it where it likely belongs.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions...

Jay

Looks like some good choices. Quite a variety of designs and price points. To make your decision more difficult, check out this built-in by The Good-One: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-heritage-oven

Comment

• fauxQ
      fauxQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot about that one! If only the charcoal could be raised and lowered!

Max Good , silly question, do you see an issue with the fire box being so far forward as a built-in on this unit? With their stand alone model you walk around from the fire box to the smoker. On this oven unit it looks like you have to reach a good deal forward over the hot box to get to the oven.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't tested this one, but the folks at The Good-One tell me they took that into consideration and made sure it didn't become a problem.

fauxQ I meant to answer you earlier. I don't know anything about the other grills you are looking at, but they do look good.

Comment

• fauxQ
      fauxQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I know it is hard to make comparisons without hands on experience of the different brands. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something unique about Hasty-Bake.

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
    Looks like some good choices. Quite a variety of designs and price points. To make your decision more difficult, check out this built-in by The Good-One: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-heritage-oven
    FWIW, I realize that I listed different designs and price points. The question was really just to better understand whether there was something I was missing about the H-B (i.e., is there something more than the adjustable charcoal tray that makes them special). I ask b/c their units seem to be the go-to brand for charcoal cookers around here (or ceramic cookers). Just trying to educate myself.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your questions are good ones. You are spending good money for something that is going to be a focal point of your yard. You want to make sure that you get what you like and are well informed.

I believe Meathead has great experience on grills and he says that the Hasty-Bake is his favorite charcoal grill to use.

Comment

• fauxQ
      fauxQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point. The H-B is clearly a well-designed and functioning cooking machine. No one would go wrong with that choice.

rototiller78 is correct. One of the key reasons I bought the Hasty-Bake Gourmet was Meathead. He talked about it in glowing terms. So, after tons of research, I went with his recommendation. This is definitely a lifetime piece of equipment. And it really can do everything.

Comment

Thanks ecowper. As I said, I'm not taking a dump on the H-B, just trying to understand what makes it special. Is there something beyond the raise/lower of the charcoal bed? To be sure, that control is something that appeals to me and what makes me shy away from ceramics (which have their own benefits). But having to drop the cooking grate down to the coals in the deep hole of a ceramic where it will be tough to flip burgers gives me pause. I like the idea of being able to push coals to one side for indirect and then raise them up to grill-level for a sear. Or better yet, do low and slow with the meat then sear over a sear burner/sear station.

Comment

fauxQ Please tell me your getting a Hasty-Bake? If you are mentioning that a H-B is in your budget...Go for it! I would buy a H-B in a sec if it was in my budget.

Comment

This was written on a site that is trying to sell students essays, but what the heck, it is pretty informative.

Comment

• fauxQ
            fauxQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks tbob4! Actually an interesting read...especially the last part regarding competitive advantages.

One More for consideration:
          Our 24" x 48" Adjustable Charcoal Grill & Smoker is built to last a lifetime. The grill body and stand are constructed from 10 gauge carbon steel more than double the thickness of our competitors grills.  The fire box is double wall construction to retain heat more efficiently and reduce heat transfer out side the

Comment

• Bluetail66213
            Bluetail66213 commented
            Editing a comment
            Holy moly. $$$$

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here